Author Topic: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington  (Read 386896 times)

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
Re: Mr. Trump Goes to Washington
« Reply #2670 on: December 04, 2018, 06:37:49 pm »
Ok. The man who said Mexico is buying us a border wall, Cruz's old man was linked to Castro, Cohen has nothing on him,  he's going to fix the VA, he's ther beat that ever was at anything, he'd have run unarmed into Stoneman Douglas, the California wildfires were due to piss poor management practices, the Dems want to destroy Medicare, br can't release his tax records because he's being audited, Dems want to invite caravan after caravan into the country, if Ivanka wasn't his daughter he'd make a pass, we lost millions of jobs under NAFTA, said he wants to cancel the Arizona elections? Oh shit, let me start worrying now.

The leadership I was talking about from the Dems now sounds eerily similar to the GOP circa 2010.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2671 on: December 04, 2018, 06:52:28 pm »
The difference between everything else and the last is that none of those were direct attacks on democracy.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2672 on: December 04, 2018, 07:21:34 pm »
Trump seriously thinks he can get away with anything now that he's president.  It's why he gets so angry when the courts say he can't.  It's frustrating to him because he literally does not know what the job entails and that he's not in power forever.  And the GOP never put the checks needed on him that they should've from the very beginning.

Ironbite-so, like any good dictator, he'll do anything he can to hold on to power and if he thinks he'll lose the election, he will try and cancel them.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2673 on: December 04, 2018, 07:28:32 pm »
Trump seriously thinks he can get away with anything now that he's president.  It's why he gets so angry when the courts say he can't.  It's frustrating to him because he literally does not know what the job entails and that he's not in power forever.  And the GOP never put the checks needed on him that they should've from the very beginning.

Ironbite-so, like any good dictator, he'll do anything he can to hold on to power and if he thinks he'll lose the election, he will try and cancel them.

Most of the GOP was afraid of their own base, because they love Trump... and they were right to be afraid of their base, because one of the very few vocal Trump critics to run again (and probably the most high-profile) was Mark Sanford, and he lost his primary.

And anyway, they like a lot of his policies, they just don't like the mean tweets. Trump puts an ugly face on the policies they like.
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #2674 on: December 04, 2018, 08:10:45 pm »
Meanwhile, Dem governor of New York Andrew Cuomo is promising Amazon a taxpayer funded helipad for their executives. https://splinternews.com/will-new-york-resist-the-urge-to-give-amazon-literally-1830404202. Niam and Ironbite, take note. This is why the difference between corporatist Democrats and populist Democrats is really fucking important. The former, despite the D in front of their names, are functionally no different to the Republicans.

Again, when the decision is between a corporate democrat or Trump, it really isn't a decision.

There are a lot of moving pieces when it comes to rating people. Corporate tax breaks are fucking stupid, but that is why we have a primary system.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2675 on: December 04, 2018, 08:14:08 pm »
Meanwhile, Dem governor of New York Andrew Cuomo is promising Amazon a taxpayer funded helipad for their executives. https://splinternews.com/will-new-york-resist-the-urge-to-give-amazon-literally-1830404202. Niam and Ironbite, take note. This is why the difference between corporatist Democrats and populist Democrats is really fucking important. The former, despite the D in front of their names, are functionally no different to the Republicans.

Again, when the decision is between a corporate democrat or Trump, it really isn't a decision.

There are a lot of moving pieces when it comes to rating people. Corporate tax breaks are fucking stupid, but that is why we have a primary system.

And it's why I think primaries are one of the best parts of the US system.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #2676 on: December 04, 2018, 09:02:27 pm »
The difference between everything else and the last is that none of those were direct attacks on democracy.

Bush Jr. did far far worse to democracy than trump has by this time in office. And i remember people swearing on a stack of Hustler mags that he'd never ever cede power and the would probably be a civil war or something. When he erases any of the 21 remaining Amendments, I'll believe he's more than a big orange gas bag. (For those wondering, 1 and 4 are either gone or shells of their former selves, and the 18th and 21st are highly debatable.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2018, 09:11:24 pm by rookie »
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2677 on: December 04, 2018, 09:28:06 pm »
How is the 21st debatable? If you're talking about states that ban alcohol, the 21st Amendment says bupkis about states being allowed to ban alcohol or not--in fact, it basically says that they can.

Also, there's 27 Amendments, so what are the other two you're referring to?

Offline DarkPhoenix

• Bishop
« Reply #2678 on: December 04, 2018, 10:42:42 pm »
As I've seen noted, Collins (like Manchin) has shown a remarkable ability to defy gravity. The last time she faced an unfavourable environment, after all, was 2008, where Obama won Maine by more than 17 points over McCain, but Collins won by almost 23 points--a 40-point swing. (Under more favourable conditions in 2014, she won by 37, while Obama won by a little over 15 points two years prior.)

Susan Collins has survived for as long as she has because she managed to successfully fool the people in Maine into thinking she wasn't a partisan Republican hack.  But over the last two years, she's thrown away any pretence she had of being bipartisan or reasonable, and has basically been giving McConnell everything he asks for... While still hoping that her SAYING she's bipartisan will keep her in the good graces of the people in Maine.  But it sounds like she's not fooling anybody anymore.  That speech she delivered before voting for Kavanaugh was the final nail in that coffin.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #2679 on: December 05, 2018, 03:34:30 am »
As I've seen noted, Collins (like Manchin) has shown a remarkable ability to defy gravity. The last time she faced an unfavourable environment, after all, was 2008, where Obama won Maine by more than 17 points over McCain, but Collins won by almost 23 points--a 40-point swing. (Under more favourable conditions in 2014, she won by 37, while Obama won by a little over 15 points two years prior.)

Susan Collins has survived for as long as she has because she managed to successfully fool the people in Maine into thinking she wasn't a partisan Republican hack.  But over the last two years, she's thrown away any pretence she had of being bipartisan or reasonable, and has basically been giving McConnell everything he asks for... While still hoping that her SAYING she's bipartisan will keep her in the good graces of the people in Maine.  But it sounds like she's not fooling anybody anymore.  That speech she delivered before voting for Kavanaugh was the final nail in that coffin.

I hope her career is over, but even with all that, she still has the second-lowest rate of voting with Trump among Republican Senators (Paul being the lowest, probably spending and foreign policy matters).

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2680 on: December 05, 2018, 08:05:38 am »
Guess y'all slept on this bit of news last night.

Flynn flipped on Trump.

Ironbite-Manafort and Stone might want to figure out why

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2681 on: December 05, 2018, 09:41:18 am »
Must suck that Fox had just earlier complained how it's "unamerican" or something to go after a war vet and hero like Flynn and now they have to double back and start calling him a traitor.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Kakarot
« Reply #2682 on: December 05, 2018, 03:59:59 pm »
The thing is, I know why Flynn flipped.  He figured out there is no pardon coming from the Orange Piss Pot.  And there never will be.  He expects Manafort, Stone, and whoever else to keep quiet forever and take the fall.  It won't surprise me if one of the kids gets caught up in this and he still won't pardon them from it.

Ironbite-only one he'd ever do that for is Ivanka and only because he wants to sleep with her/slept with her.

Offline rookie

• The Beast
« Reply #2683 on: December 05, 2018, 06:38:37 pm »
How is the 21st debatable? If you're talking about states that ban alcohol, the 21st Amendment says bupkis about states being allowed to ban alcohol or not--in fact, it basically says that they can.

Also, there's 27 Amendments, so what are the other two you're referring to?

1, 4, 9, 10, 18, and 21

The only reason the 21st exists is directly because of the 18th. Yeah, i know it also touches on transportation though dry counties and all, but without the 18th being repealed, it wouldn't be an issue.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #2684 on: December 06, 2018, 04:19:45 am »
I mean, officially, the 18th doesn't exist. And what's wrong with 9 and 10? Also, the first very much exists, still.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".