Author Topic: Looking to learn a dialect of draconic (conlang, obviously)  (Read 4132 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Because why not?

Unfortunately, I don't quite know of a good one to learn.  The most immediate one is Dovah, the dragon language of Skyrim, but unfortunately, it's not a very complete language.  I mean, it has sentence structure (albeit a very English based one) but... eh, I dunno.

So, conlang experts out there... know any good draconic conlang for me to learn?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
Re: Looking to learn a dialect of draconic (conlang, obviously)
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:17:54 pm »
I've got one myself, but it's just a sketch and some vocabulary. I mostly just use it as a source of loan words for my other langs.

As I understand it, the one from Skyrim is basically just a clone of English, grammatically. That would make it easy to learn though.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:19:02 pm »
Would that one be worth learning, though?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56:49 pm »
Well, it's not a spoken variant, but ClaWrite's fun to write in...
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 10:15:27 pm »
Would that one be worth learning, though?
That's up to you. It's from a well known game, so you're more likely to meet other people who speak it/know about it than some other language, though there are others more sophisticated (I don't know of any specifically off the top of my head but I know they're out there).

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 10:35:26 pm »
The language in Skyrim wasn't created by a linguist, it was created by the music composer who just wanted some foreign and ominous-sounding chanting to put in the soundtrack. It's pretty much a word-swap from English and it doesn't differentiate between past, present, and future tense at all. Even when you translate the songs into English, they'll still rhyme.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 12:10:39 am »
The language in Skyrim wasn't created by a linguist, it was created by the music composer who just wanted some foreign and ominous-sounding chanting to put in the soundtrack. It's pretty much a word-swap from English and it doesn't differentiate between past, present, and future tense at all. Even when you translate the songs into English, they'll still rhyme.

...Does that particularly matter?

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2012, 01:18:36 am »

...Does that particularly matter?

Does it matter to you? I mean, you're the one learning it, not me.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2012, 11:57:37 pm »
I found a font for things like Wordpad and Word of the Skyrim dragon language letters. The text of the language is designed the way it because it's written by dragons, who had to use their claws to scratch it into stone or something. because of this each letter is made up of no more than three scratches and one dot, corresponding with the three forward claws and the dewclaw. Here's a video showing how to install it with a link to the download in the description:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3d5pfWSqo" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lF3d5pfWSqo</a>

Off the top of my head I only remember the meaning of the words krosis(sorrow) and vol(horror), both being names of dragon priest masks(the full meaning of Volsung is unknown)
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov