Author Topic: Todd Akin sticks his foot back in his mouth  (Read 3104 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Todd Akin sticks his foot back in his mouth
« on: September 13, 2012, 08:23:08 pm »
Todd Akin (R-MO) is echoing Mitt Romney’s attack on President Obama over the Cairo embassy’s statement on the Islamophobic video that preceded the fatal attack on the U.S. consulate in Libya. Akin told KMBC-TV, “First of all, apologizing to all people, [to] a lot of countries who are enemies, and apologizing to them and everything. You know, if we did something wrong, that’s one thing. But he’s just apologizing because he didn’t like America? I think that’s the wrong thing to do.”
http://thinkprogress.org/election/2012/09/13/846091/akin-obama-is-apologizing-because-he-didnt-like-america/

So first we had legitimate rape now this.  Well I would think his chances of getting elected are growing smaller by the day.  Keep it up!  If only the titanic that is the republican party would sink faster.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Todd Akin sticks his foot back in his mouth
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 08:36:48 pm »
I read the damn statement.  There was no apologizing whatsoever.  Seriously where are they getting this?

Ironbite-jesus they really do live in a world where facts and reality don't matter.

Offline Otend

• Neonate
  • Elitist asshole
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 08:41:41 pm »
Fun fact: Akin's brand of supposed family-values conservatism is ideologically unsound.  Apparently, he does not give two shits about starving children that he'd have force-born, because he's against federal school lunch programs.  You know, the food that's sometimes the only food kids get.  The food that at least a fifth of the kids of the nation need because of their constant struggle with hunger.

Anyone who thinks that a position like that is in any way morally sound shouldn't be given a Senate seat, they should be shunned by the population of the entire human race.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand.  American exceptionalism and nationalism are two of the most toxic ideologies out there, and anyone who thinks otherwise is open to argue with me and get yelled at.

Offline DrFishcake

• The Beast
  • A vegetarian called Fishcake. Long story.
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 04:38:03 am »
"A lot of countries that are enemies"? Define "enemies", Akin.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 04:46:31 am »
Of all the systems of government, democracy included, there's one massive, fuck-off, glaring flaw. Specifically, there are no minimum qualifications for politicians, which of course leads to fuckwits like this moron having actual influence in the government. Someone really ought to fix that.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 09:39:51 am »
"Goddammit [Akin]. Just when you've said the dumbest thing ever, you keep talking!"
-Hank Hill
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline R. U. Sirius

• He Who Must Be Smooched By Cute FSTDT Forumgirls
  • The Beast
  • Just look at me. Who could distrust this face?
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 10:01:15 am »
At this point, shouldn't his body be twisted into a Mobius strip from the number of times he's stuck his foot in his mouth, swallowed, let it make its way through his digestive tract, crapped it out, and then re-swallowed that same foot?
http://www.gofundme.com/kw5o78
My GoFundMe campaign. Donations are greatly appreciated.

http://imgur.com/user/RUSirius1/submitted
My Imgur account. Upvotes always appreciated

If you look at it logically, cannibalism has great potential to simultaneously solve our overpopulation and food shortage problems.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 01:48:01 pm »
I read the damn statement.  There was no apologizing whatsoever.  Seriously where are they getting this?

Ironbite-jesus they really do live in a world where facts and reality don't matter.

This statement was put out by the embassy in Egypt:
The Embassy of the United States in Cairo condemns the continuing efforts by misguided individuals to hurt the religious feelings of Muslims – as we condemn efforts to offend believers of all religions. Today, the 11th anniversary of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on the United States, Americans are honoring our patriots and those who serve our nation as the fitting response to the enemies of democracy. Respect for religious beliefs is a cornerstone of American democracy. We firmly reject the actions by those who abuse the universal right of free speech to hurt the religious beliefs of others

That's the "apology."  What they fail to realize (or just don't mention) is that this statement was put out before the attacks took place, not in response to them.  Afterwards, they said this:
This morning's condemnation (issued before protest began) still stands. As does our condemnation of unjustified breach of the Embassy
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline driewerf

• Neonate
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 02:10:48 pm »
A funny thought is that rpoducing a movie that really is insulting for the muslims is O.K. But remove the Ten Coomandements from a government building or a nativity scene, that is a war on Christianity. Double standards, and how to apply them.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 02:18:35 pm »
....CONDEMNING SOMETHING IS NOT THE SAME AS APOLOGIZING IT YOU IDIOTS!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 03:20:31 pm »
if Akin manages to get re-elected, something is seriously wrong.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:34:55 pm »
Especially since he is running for a shiny new office.  He's in the House right now, and he's trying to take the Senate seat from McCaskill.  No incumbency advantage for him.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 05:23:05 am »
The sad/scary part is he and Romney probably gained votes from this since a lot of people will find justification to agree with them.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 05:25:45 am »
The sad/scary part is he and Romney probably gained votes from this since a lot of people will find justification to agree with them.

Nah, no way. Maybe he gets a few Republicans who don't like Mormonism to turn up on election day, but he energises just as many Democrats.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 03:24:36 pm »
Speaking of Akin:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yS4kOt04o" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0yS4kOt04o</a>
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!