Author Topic: Aeon Flux, I watched/read it all.  (Read 3016 times)

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
Aeon Flux, I watched/read it all.
« on: September 09, 2012, 12:40:37 am »
As of recent, I finished watching the: Aeon Flux series, reading the The Herodotus File, the movie and movie tie-in comics on recommendation by a friend. To be honest I was impressed with the original series the movie was tripe compared to it. Of course the movie had to pass the censors and it was horrible plot wise.

MTV still hosts the episodes for free!

Now folks, that is story telling. Even the episodes with minimal audio (see the mostly silent shorts) can captivate you attention and mind screw with your POV. The Pilot and War did such in a humorous way because it parodied action movies complete with piles of corpses and rivers of blood. The mind screw reaches a zenith by Chronophasia. Not even Peter Chung, the creator, knew what the fuck was going on.

Fun fact: flux.com is the third party service that hosts comments for MTV.

All is not good however:

1)
Peter Chung actually lied about what Aeon is so stripperific.

O: Your characters, both in Aeon Flux and in Reign, tend to dress in a way that's half formalized costume, half fetish gear. They often don't wear much, and what they wear is elaborate and stylized. What are your fashion influences?

PC: Well, I struggled a lot, when I was doing Aeon Flux, with how far to push the costumes, and how realistic to make them. I think a lot of illustrators realize--and you see this a lot in American comics as well--that if you draw costumes realistically, it's very difficult. You end up spending all your time trying to create believable drapery. So the tendency is to draw skin-tight costumes that mold around the body. This allows you to use the body more. You see this with classical sculpture, and dancers. You try to use the expressive qualities of the human body more--that's why sculptors prefer to work with nudes, as opposed to trying to make the clothing look accurate. Otherwise you end up concentrating on the clothing and not the person. The same is true with animation--I think of my animated characters as dancers. I want to be able to use body language as much as possible.

If the lack of clothes (Bondage gear is less revealing than what Aeon is wearing) was used primarily for ease of showing body language then Aeon would not be the only one wearing such revealing outfits predictably. If you are going to draw cheesecake then don’t try to excuse it, its noticeable.

Fun fact (not bad): the only armor she is wearing is a literal crotch plate as stated by the The Herodotus File, I am not joking about this. Possibly part of that implanted, mechanical, mobile, sperm munching I.U.D. she has, I am not joking about that either.

2)
I was ok with this series and sad that more episodes were not produced until “double rape” occurred. That is not an episode title by the way, it is people rapeing hypnotic mind rapeing bird people who mind rape them. Look how unsurprised I am that this is inspired by Japanese animation, way to keep that stereotype going. Rape for the sake of including rape is not acceptable PERIOD.

On a lighter note FROM THE SAME EPISODE:

WWWWHHHHHHHEEEEE I’M A PRURTY BIRD
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*