Author Topic: Actor Frank Sivero sues Fox over a possible likeness in "The Simpsons"  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
http://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/tv/goodfellas-actor-claims-simpsons-stole-his-likeness-lawsuit-n231631

Twenty-three years after "The Simpsons" introduced the Springfield Mafia, actor Frank Sivero has filed a $250 million lawsuit against Fox Television Studios for basing one of the three animated "wiseguys" on his "Goodfellas" character Frankie Carbone.

Silvero claims in a lawsuit filed on Tuesday in Los Angeles Superior Court that in 1989 he lived in a Sherman Oaks apartment next door to "The Simpsons" writers and that "Simpsons" producer James L. Brooks was “highly aware of who Sivero was, the fact that he created the role of Frankie Carbone, and that 'The Simpsons' character Louie would be based on this character.”

"During this time, both writers knew who Sivero was, and they saw each other almost every day," the complaint alleges. "They knew he was developing the character he was to play in the movie 'Goodfellas,' a movie Sivero did in 1989. In fact, they were aware the entire character of 'Frankie Carbone' was created and developed by Sivero, who based this character on his own personality."

The character of "Louie" appeared in 16 episodes of "The Simpsons" — the first time in 1991. According to the complaint, the Fox long-running hit has grossed $12 billion from several revenue streams, including video games.

Fox Television Studios did not respond immediately for a request for comment.

Something tells me he's not serious and he's only doing this for the publicity.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2015, 11:56:24 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
Re: Actor Frank Silvero sues Fox over a possible likeness in "The Simpsons"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 09:45:01 am »
And this is going absolutely nowhere for two reasons.

1. Sivero doesn't own the character. The producers of "Goodfellas" do. Therefore, Sivero is not in a position to sue.

2. If the character is in fact based on Frankie Carbone (which, let's be honest, is probably true), parody counts as protected speech under copyright law.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 09:49:18 am »
If it weren't for the article stating he was in Goodfellas, a movie I've never seen, but know of thru cultural osmosis, I'd have just asked...who the fuck is Frank Silvero?  Actually, no, who the fuck is Frank Silvero?  Other than that one particular movie, what else has he done?  HAS he done anything else?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 02:23:23 pm »
He was in the Godfather part II. Based on his IMDb, he mostly plays mobsters.
Σא

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2014, 02:46:44 pm »
Aah, prolly why I know nothing of him.  Don't really care for movies like that.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2014, 02:50:02 pm »
He was in the Godfather part II. Based on his IMDb, he mostly plays mobsters.
Typecasting.

...And quite often the character is either called Frank or Frankie. "We need someone to play Frank the mobster." "My name is Frank and I look like a mobster!" "Good, pick up your suit and prop gun from the locker we are doing the scene in 15." "No prob, I got my own."
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »
Here's a different guy typecast as a mobster. Not sure why they decided to use a mobster theme in this vid, but they did.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh0UvrR8UM4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rh0UvrR8UM4</a>
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov