Author Topic: America on track to debt default in 2013  (Read 2397 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
America on track to debt default in 2013
« on: May 13, 2012, 01:45:35 pm »
Something terrible happened in Congress yesterday—and nobody seemed to notice. House Republicans voted to take money away from programs meant to help poor people and give it to the military instead. That’s not my idea of wise policy, but that’s what was terrible about it. The problem is that the vote constitutes a collective Republican welching on the agreement that was reached last spring to raise the statutory debt ceiling and avoid national default. Yesterday’s vote doesn’t undo the deal or cause any immediate problems, but by so speedily backing out of their agreement, the Republicans have done something much worse—made it impossible for anyone to negotiate with them in the future, because it’s clear they cannot be trusted to keep the promises they made.

If President Obama wins re-election, the debt-ceiling issue will have to be confronted again, but now in a Congress that has been poisoned by the Republicans’ welching on the last agreement. The country, in other words, is set for an even more severe version of the crisis that crushed financial markets last summer

http://www.slate.com/articles/business/moneybox/2012/05/debt_ceiling_fiasco_house_republicans_just_reneged_on_the_debt_ceiling_deal_making_a_default_in_2013_almost_inevitable_.html?google_editors_picks=true

Well who didn't see this coming?  I know I saw this coming.  Well I guess we can only hope that come November people find a clue.....aw hell who am I kidding, nothing will change.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Id82

• The Beast
Re: America on track to debt default in 2013
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 03:28:56 pm »
Well with a 9% approval rating in congress one would hope that this coming election will remove a lot of the dumb shits running the place.
G.O.P
a  b r
s  s o
l   t   j
i   r  e
g  u c
h  c  t
t   t

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 03:36:00 pm »
Well with a 9% approval rating in congress one would hope that this coming election will remove a lot of the dumb shits running the place.

Not likely. People that vote blindly for "their boy" that's already in do so while believing that person is the only good one and the rest suck. That's why we have life long politicians that stay in one seat.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2012, 04:25:48 pm »
Not surprised...
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2012, 06:20:05 pm »
What, they’re only now realizing the Republicans are untrustworthy?
-A Pen Name

QueenofHearts

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2012, 06:25:52 pm »
I like how Jon Stewart characterized it. The GOP and dems made a suicide pact to cut spending and the GOP essentially turned that into a homicide.

Edit: wow, I have become completely desensitized to Republican crap when I don't even feel the least bit of "oh crap" for the debt ceiling or the social safety net cuts and instead just feel "eh, what do you expect."
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 06:27:34 pm by QueenofHearts »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2012, 06:34:36 pm »
Shit like this is why I think the Federal Reserve should at the very least have a large say in economic matters, especially when it comes to the federal budget. Not only is the Reserve run by actual economists, but politicians have proven time and time again that they won't do what's best for the economy, only what serves their party's agenda. Those small-minded idiots are not only the reason why it's taking so long for the US economy to recover, but also why the recession hit so damn hard in the first place.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 07:39:53 pm »
The Democrats should just repeal the debt ceiling. It's meaningless and stupid.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »
Yeah, there's no point in having a debt ceiling if you're just going to increase it at every opportunity.

I know bratty rich teenage girls who have more money sense with their daddy's loaded credit card than our own government.

Of course, my dad thinks that the Federal Reserve is the problem. ::)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2012, 09:08:00 pm »
...I am not usually one to suggest such a drastic, foolish course, but, Roman-style, if things cannot get fixed by Congress, we may need a dictator for a time.

Someone progressive. Someone who will be able to come up with something good, untainted by Republican Religious Fundamentalism.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Saturn500

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 09:37:22 pm »
...I am not usually one to suggest such a drastic, foolish course, but, Roman-style, if things cannot get fixed by Congress, we may need a dictator for a time.

Someone progressive. Someone who will be able to come up with something good, untainted by Republican Religious Fundamentalism.

Nominate me!

By 2020, I promise free/affordable healthcare, legalized gay marriage, the requirement to pass a rigorous test before you homeschool (some people do homeschool for secular reasons), the heads of any non-repentant Quiverfullers on pikes in front of the White House (alternatively, they could be crucified for the sake of irony), the phrase "Under God" removed from the pledge, bullying being punishable by being forced to play I Wanna Be The Guy until either the fight with Mike Tyson, or until the bully apologizes, and the establishment of National Crablette Day on March 13th.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »

You know, Michigan tried that out. It isn't going well.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 10:44:26 pm »
Yeah, there's no point in having a debt ceiling if you're just going to increase it at every opportunity.

I know bratty rich teenage girls who have more money sense with their daddy's loaded credit card than our own government.

Of course, my dad thinks that the Federal Reserve is the problem. ::)

The problem with the Federal Reserve is that we have banksters running the show when it comes down to it, thats why many dislike it. The Federal Reserve is half private, half public, and every bill that gets passed to go after it, is watered-down bs. Many of the critics on the left would like to see it not only more transparent, but would also like to see it nationized and absorbed into the the Treasury Dept. While those on the right want to get rid, but haven't come up with anything to do afterwards without going into some batshit crazy conspiracy theory and bs about the gold standard.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:56:50 pm by nickiknack »