Author Topic: N. Korea to Target US with Nuclear Missile Tests  (Read 3815 times)

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
N. Korea to Target US with Nuclear Missile Tests
« on: January 24, 2013, 08:55:56 am »
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/north-korea-plans-nuclear-test-more-rockets-defense-032500203.html

Okay, this is starting to scare me a little... They apparently have missiles that are capable of hitting the continental US... and I'm starting to think the N.  Koreans might be nuts enough to hit the "launch" button.

I do not want to witness a nuclear war... or am I just looking too much into this?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: N. Korea to Target US with Nuclear Missile Tests
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2013, 09:12:10 am »
Well if you read the article, they do not seems to believe that N.Korea would be able fire nukes to USA. They could probably be a threat to South Korea or even Japan but they still don't have:

a) Nukes small enough to fit into a ICBM
b) ICBM that would survive the return to atmosphere
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2013, 09:22:23 am »
Even if they theoretically have a missile that can maybe hit San Francisco, they're still a long way off from not only having more than one nuke, but also a viable means of delivery (since there are numerous reasons why their warhead won't work with an ICBM). Besides, the fact that they're being so openly threatening towards the US just smacks of empty posturing to me. Newbie dictator trying to show how big and strong he is and all that jazz.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2013, 09:51:13 am »
Isn't the joke that yes, they could hit North America, but they can't pick which bit of North America it lands in?

Offline Nightangel8212

• The Wicked Witch of the Great White North
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2013, 10:02:25 am »
Okay, that makes me feel better. Thanks for the reassurances. I know very little about this sort of thing.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2013, 10:05:31 am »
It'll get stopped long before it gets to that point.  If North Korea got serious about this, they'd be a liability to China.  Frankly, I think China will step in if it gets to that point, just to keep us out.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2013, 11:51:09 am »
China already hates them.  They just feed them.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2013, 12:12:09 pm »
Oh yeah the second North Korea hits the launch button, China takes them out.

Ironbite-they will not stand for that.

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2013, 12:13:55 pm »
North Korea is useful to China.  They're a rogue state that China has influence over.  It gives China a certain amount of diplomatic leverage.  "Well, you could try some economic action against us...  But we're all that's keeping those darned North Koreans in line.  Are you sure..?"  But there does come a point where North Korea becomes a liability.  At that point, China won't hesitate to step in.

Actually, they might just step aside and let us deal with it.  They wouldn't like having us increase our influence in the area, but they might like it more than they would having to actually deal with North Korea's lack of infrastructure.  Whoever ends up having to deal with North Korea, it's going to be expensive.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2013, 12:47:20 pm »
I'll just repost my statement in the World War 3 thread:

Also, if North Korea ever attacked the USA, even with a nuke, they'd get curbstomped and China wouldn't save them this time. China basically views them as an embarrassment and has more to gain by sticking with the USA anyhow.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2013, 01:19:09 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground-Based_Midcourse_Defense

Hope this helps any lingering doubt about a North Korean ICBM threat to us. My concern would be for Japan or South Korea, maybe Australia or NZ, really. All in all, Dear Leader Kim Jung Eun (or his regent uncle) is just waggling his dick in the breeze. Which brings up a great visual - it's cold as all hell there atm!
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2013, 01:40:45 pm »
I find it hard to be scared of a country's nukes when their delivery system consists of ten thousand Koreans throwing it at us.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2013, 05:16:31 pm »
I worry about North Korea.  On a local level I worry about the West End Rinkydinks.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2013, 05:24:08 pm »
On the national level, North Korea is like some yappy little dog. All bark, no bite. If they get too noisy and annoying, China yanks on the leash.

I feel sorry for the their neighboring countries and the poor citizen level shmucks who actually have to live there, though.
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Joey

• Bishop
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2013, 05:32:02 pm »
Well if you read the article, they do not seems to believe that N.Korea would be able fire nukes to USA. They could probably be a threat to South Korea or even Japan but they still don't have:

a) Nukes small enough to fit into a ICBM
b) ICBM that would survive the return to atmosphere

This, and the fact that we have anti-missile defense capabilities. We would destroy the missile en route over the Pacific Ocean.
"A human is a system for converting dust billions of years ago into dust billions of years from now via a roundabout process which involves checking email a lot." - XKCD