Author Topic: Stupid YouTube  (Read 10160 times)

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
Stupid YouTube
« on: April 02, 2013, 08:15:00 pm »
Ever since the most recent layout update hit YouTube, the site hasn't worked well for me at all. I basically can't watch videos anymore. I'll click play on something, and the video will properly load for maybe 30-60 seconds. Then any buffering will cease, and the video stops for good. If I manually drag the bar to change the time, sometimes it'll play for the same amount of time, then stop again. Sometimes it refuses to play anything else. Seriously, what the hell? I don't know what the fuck is occurring to cause this, but it's really pissing me off. I finally found good people to subscribe to and looked forward to their videos every week, and now I can't enjoy them.

I know I haven't changed a thing on my end since the update hit. Speed tests still give the same results, and non-YouTube videos load perfectly fine for me. My friend is having the same problem, because we tried to watched a 2-minute video at his place and couldn't get through the whole thing because of the same loading issues. I used to be able to watch any video no problem, highest resolution and everything. Now 240p won't even work. And I've tried watching videos from different people -- folks who have a million subscribers, and folks who have none. No difference.

It's really maddening. I want my damn videos, but I don't know of any solution. Has anyone else experienced this?
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
Re: Stupid YouTube
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 09:25:44 pm »
I haven't seen it too much, to be honest.

However, there have been a few times that I'd start to watch, the video'd play for a bit, then it'd restart the fucking video.

Also, something seems to have the bright idea of signing you out of YouTube if you use a YouTube video downloader site.
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 09:26:08 pm »
Yes, I have been experiencing this as well on Youtube and it is maddening. I tried watching a two hour long documentary on Michael Jackson and it kept buffering and stopping the videos that I got fed up with it. It seems to work well at some times and at others it just seems to be fucked up somehow.

I really hate this new layout and I miss the tape or whatever that used to be above the videos that you could click on and see the uploader's videos which was useful when you are watching a series of something and now it's not there and it's fucking annoying when you are watching something and you want to see the next part but can't because it's not in the right hand side so you have to go and hunt for it on the uploader's page and they may have over a hundred videos.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
However, there have been a few times that I'd start to watch, the video'd play for a bit, then it'd restart the fucking video.

Dude, I've had this happen, too. Sometimes it happens multiple times with the same video and I just have to give up.

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2013, 09:39:58 pm »
It's not just me and my shitty DSL.  Good to know.  Also, I've got to stop listening to Creepypastas at 4am.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2013, 11:10:38 pm »
I don't have that many problems with Youtube (luck of the draw I guess) but when I do, oh god.

I'll have videos restart occasionally.  Or sometimes, much worse, the video will just stop short.  The "total time" meter will read it as a lot shorter than it actually is, so I can't click ahead because there's nothing to click ahead to.

And if I have a playlist set to autoplay, it'll react the same as if the video ended naturally and launch me to the next video.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 12:40:08 am »
I remember that I used to be able to pause the video and youtube would load it up while I'm doing something else. Now when I try that it will just make a tiny buffer and sometimes when I try to skip ahead in the video, like if I'm looking for some particular moment, it might even tilt and I have to refresh the page to be able to do anything.

I don't mind the changing layout but it does seem like Youtube doesn't work as well as it used to.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 12:43:56 am »
It's nice to know I'm not the only one having that problem of late.

Offline TheUnknown

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 01:37:48 am »
I don't have that many problems with Youtube (luck of the draw I guess) but when I do, oh god.

I'll have videos restart occasionally.  Or sometimes, much worse, the video will just stop short.  The "total time" meter will read it as a lot shorter than it actually is, so I can't click ahead because there's nothing to click ahead to.

And if I have a playlist set to autoplay, it'll react the same as if the video ended naturally and launch me to the next video.

Yeah, I've had that problem, too.  I also hate it when it says the video is loaded, and then when I skip ahead, the loaded part of the bar disappears and it has to buffer again.

I also miss the old user page, where it had a separate frame to the right that you could scroll through while you watched one of their video, which didn't have to link to a separate page.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2013, 02:06:00 am »
I actually hated watching videos on a person's channel.  The screen's small and you can't make it bigger until you go to the video page itself.

I also hated it back when Youtube got the bright idea to restrict watching a playlist to said channel.

So there's actually been several positive changes, too.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Dynamic Dragon

• The Beast
  • Punisher of the Guilty
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2013, 06:15:52 am »
I've been having these problems too.  I really hope YouTube fixes this.
Learn from the past, live in the present, prepare for the future.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2013, 08:46:19 am »
I had the same problem, not just youtube, but all streaming video. It started right after I updated IE to latest latest version.

Guess how I fixed it? By resetting IE to default - which kicked off my Google and AVG toolbars. And that made Bing my default search engine.

I honestly think it is all just pixie/gremlin codes in there to make people hate any non-Microsoft toolbars. So fucking lame.

If you are having the same problem with another browser running, like chrome or w/e, try the default settings. Or disable any non-(company x brand) tool bars.

Maybe they all "compete" by adding little pixie/gremlin codes to fuck things up if you dare use a competitor's search and/or tool bar(s).

There is so damn much money to be made off those stupid sidebar ads, that whether your browser even has adverts or not, the ones that do want only their customers' advertising to be seen by you, and they want to drive you to using their browser or search engine to assure that their user numbers are high, and therefore, their advert rates/click on fees are high, too.

You can still, obviously, just go to your favorite search engine using the address bar directly. I'll be fucked if I'm gonna be forced to use Bing against my preference.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sleepy

• The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:05 am »
Chrome gives me a 502 error every time I try to navigate to any video, no matter what. My friend uses Chrome and can navigate to videos, but has the same issues I described above. I don't think it's a browser issue, so unless I'm on the verge of YouTube starvation, I'm not going to resort to IE.

Yeah, I've had that problem, too.  I also hate it when it says the video is loaded, and then when I skip ahead, the loaded part of the bar disappears and it has to buffer again.

I HATE this. They're being cheapskates about buffering, and it's fucked up everything.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 06:48:48 pm »

I also miss the old user page, where it had a separate frame to the right that you could scroll through while you watched one of their video, which didn't have to link to a separate page.

Actually, I've been having problems with videos ending early on other sites, too, not just Youtube.  Especially blip.tv

I think it's my internet.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2013, 08:40:54 pm »
Youtube has been pretty well behaved as of late for me. The worst I had to deal with was to opt out of some HTML5 video coding trial or some such, because it was causing a few videos to simply not work. But from a technical standpoint, everything works just fine.