Author Topic: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff Suspended  (Read 3919 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff Suspended
« on: May 12, 2016, 10:37:33 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/13/world/americas/dilma-rousseff-brazil-impeachment.html?_r=0

I'm not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing.  But either way, there's something very wrong with Brazil.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 10:44:16 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff Suspended
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2016, 06:13:08 am »
So...what's the story?

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2016, 06:16:07 am »
So...what's the story?
UP saw an interesting headline and decided to post it here without having any actual opinion on it. Looks like he didn't investigate the story either as he has no idea whether it's a good or bad thing that a corrupt politician loses their job.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2016, 07:06:48 am »
So...what's the story?
UP saw an interesting headline and decided to post it here without having any actual opinion on it. Looks like he didn't investigate the story either as he has no idea whether it's a good or bad thing that a corrupt politician loses their job.

Only to be replaced by another one; Michel Temer, the Vice President, has been convicted of violating campaign finance laws.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2016, 09:51:09 am »
So...what's the story?

Actually, I did.  And one of the reasons for my uncertainty is because she's leading anti-corruption initiatives.  So I've been hearing speculation that this is an attempt by Brazilian pols to cover themselves.  Don't know if there's any truth to these allegations, but it's something to consider.  So yeah, I'm ignorant, but not as ignorant as you seem to think I am.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2016, 10:36:32 am »
Sounds like a situation where anyone replacing her wouldn't be any less corrupt no matter which party they'd represent.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2016, 11:51:01 am »
So...what's the story?

Only to be replaced by another one; Michel Temer, the Vice President, has been convicted of violating campaign finance laws.

That was the point. The wealthy elite in Brazil knew they couldn't have one of their puppets win a democratic election, so they decided to overthrow the president instead.

Temer is planning to let Goldman Sachs and the IMF determine Brazil's economic policy. Because fuck poor people.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 11:52:36 am by Ironchew »
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2016, 12:17:02 pm »
Sounds like a situation where anyone replacing her wouldn't be any less corrupt no matter which party they'd represent.

"Brazil is the country of the future, and it always will be."

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2016, 12:36:42 pm »
The more I read and hear about this the more it sounds like Rousseff is the least corrupt person involved in the mess. Not squeaky clean but not as nearly as bad as her successor.

Edited for people who didn't read the article linked in the OP: Temer couldn't get elected in a democratic election. Not only because his support among the populace is around 1% but also because he is forbidden by a court from campaigning for eight years after getting caught accepting illegal campaign contributions.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 12:56:34 pm by SCarpelan »

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2016, 01:17:52 pm »
To help UP in his desire to know if this is good or not. I know you don't much care for TYT, but this is in fact a good synopsis of what has happened....Guess who is there behind the scenes? Goldman Sachs, amongst other big banks and investment entities.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2cOLXByq8" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ2cOLXByq8</a>

Brazil, a nation as large as the continental US, with the same potential if it was not co-opted by rich powerful assholes for centuries, is a key economic engine for the world and especially South America. This is a very big and horrendous series of events. It's very telling, yet again, that there is minimal US main stream media coverage even now, much less that there was not much in the years leading up to this overt bloodless coup.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 01:22:36 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
Honestly at this point if Goldman Sachs' executives were to die in a horrific accident - and I do mean horrific - I would be unable to be sad for their families nor would I be able to call the loss of life a tragedy.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2016, 04:46:11 pm »
Here's why I'm annoyed.  The Hive Mind that is UP seems to not understand that you at least quote part of the article and give an opinion about why you think this is important.  I know I do.  And also that the only way we can see said article is from behind a PAYWALL!  That's seriously annoying.

As for this, yeah I can expect type of corruption in a South American country.  If it's not corrupt businesses, it's the cartels.  Can't win down there.

Ironbite-at least not until The Device is ready.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2016, 04:58:39 pm »
Just clear your cookies of go to incognito mode and the primitive tracking system can't track how many articles you've read. The paywall lets you know about its existence only after you've read certain amount of articles so UP might not have known about it.

Quoting the key point of the article is still good manners, though.