Author Topic: Turks and Azeris protesting against rape culture and for women's rights  (Read 1382 times)

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
A young woman named Ozgecan Aslan was murdered in a rape attempt in Turkey about two weeks ago. This has sparked outrage both in Turkey and in the neighboring Azerbaijan and people have protested in streets and in social media. Male protesters are attacking the idea of clothing being an invitation to rape by wearing miniskirts themselves and in Facebook they have a statement: "If a miniskirt is responsible for everything, if [wearing] a miniskirt means immorality and unchastity, if a woman who wears a miniskirt is sending an invitation about what will happen to her, then we are also sending an invitation!"

There has also been a start of a concrete action by the senate of Azerbaijan where a debate was held about rape and domestic violence. It's tragic what happened to Aslan but hopefully the protests spark actual changes so that her death hasn't been in vain.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Turks and Azeris protesting against rape culture and for women's rights
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »
Sometimes, graves sprout the most beautiful flowers.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 06:07:56 pm »
Wait...wait.  Turkish men are running around the country wearing miniskirts in order to protest some idiot saying that her wearing a miniskirt invited her murder?

Ironbite-respect Turkish men...respect.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2015, 06:15:02 pm »
Now, if only this would happen in India. And America. And fucking well everywhere.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:09:41 pm »
Isn't this also a protest aimed at the President of Turkey who has said some pretty off colour things about women and sexual assault. Apart from which I agree with the consensus that this is really awesome.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 12:18:30 am »
This is the epitome of AWESOME!

Ditto what mellenORL said. Time for the "Male Miniskirt March" protesting misogyny & rape culture all over!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 01:15:16 am »
Respect to those Turkish men.
I hope something actually happens. In India there was that horrific gang rape on the bus, and that sparked some pretty significant protests, but I dont think too much actually changed there. Then again the culture in India is far more resistant to change than say Turkey. Hell, even if its again the Turkish president, if fighting him helps improve the fight against rape culture, then go for it.

Offline SCarpelan

• The Beast
Meanwhile in Afghanistan...

A small group of men protested for women's rights by marching through Kabul wearing burqas. While applaudable it's still a minor gesture and how meaningful it is remains questionable specially since the interviewed onlookers weren't really supportive. Hopefully the ultra-conservative attitudes that are apparently a leftover from the Taleban reign won't last too long.