Author Topic: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant  (Read 9695 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Judge rules in favor of lung transplant
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2013, 09:13:00 pm »
I also hate to say it, but she will likely die soon. And as tragic as that is, it will underscore why the frickin' organ allocation system should never have been messed with by the courts.  Two adults, with the odds of success statistics in their favor, may die now that 2 sets of lungs have gone to the little girl.

This little girl gets a few more weeks of shitty quality life, where she is in chronic post operative pain (she has not had time to recuperate between emergency transplants), and she will pass away by congestive asphyxiation, and/or pulmonary embolism, which is terrifying and painful. Bravo. Way to hurt the one you love. Then, let's all fervently hope that she does not come down with ARDS, which is a total breakdown of multiple organ systems that begins with acute lung injury, which is what aspirating stomach acid does. ARDS is the post op complication that killed my mom. It took 6 weeks for her to reach the point when they would let me enforce the DNR and take her off all support.

Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2013, 09:48:45 pm »
A small part of me thinks her dying would be the best outcome, because at least it will prevent more scenarios like this one. And as horrible as it is to say it, that's the optimistic part of me. The cynical side says nobody will learn anything from this and it will be just a painful and meaningless death.

Fuck.
Σא

wrightway

« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2013, 11:48:10 pm »
I feel so much better knowing I wasn't the only one with these reactions. I don't want a child dead; but she is in pain. These complications were predicted. She was shown incredible favoritism; new lungs were found for her in three days. The argument for that being that the lungs had pneumonia and it was a more acceptable risk to give them to her. Congrats, it came back.

The kindest outcome would be a quick death and for a lesson to be learned by the alleged adults.

Distind

« Reply #48 on: July 10, 2013, 06:48:28 am »
A small part of me thinks her dying would be the best outcome, because at least it will prevent more scenarios like this one. And as horrible as it is to say it, that's the optimistic part of me. The cynical side says nobody will learn anything from this and it will be just a painful and meaningless death.

Fuck.
With any luck the law will look back at this case as a precedent, see the medical results and go off those rather than the legal decision. But outside of that... yeah, no one's gonna learn shit, people will still try.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2013, 07:04:17 am »
She shouldn't have even gotten the second pair of lungs. You got lungs the first time around, and they failed. End of story. You don't get unlimited access to them because she's a little girl.

I hope the judge feels really friggin' good about costing people their lives.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2013, 12:35:17 pm »
This is all vaguely reminiscent of the Terri Schiavo case, what with people ignoring medical ethics & prognosis in favour of what makes them feel good in the short term.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2013, 02:23:17 pm »
According to the CNN article, pneumonia is pretty common with lung transplants, and isn't likely to kill her. And, it's only in one lung. So, she might be fine.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2013, 02:26:26 pm »
She's also a child and possibly immunosuppressed depending on what they do for lung transplants. So...

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2013, 02:28:56 pm »
She's also a child and possibly immunosuppressed depending on what they do for lung transplants. So...
No, they mean, with the immunosuppressors (and she is). They still say it's likely she'll live.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".

Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Sleepy

• Fuck Yes Sunshine In a Bag
  • The Beast
  • Danger zone
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2013, 06:07:36 pm »
I also kinda want to point out how low her life expectancy is at this point. That needs to be taken into account if they're going to make special exceptions.
Guys, this is getting creepy. Can we talk about cannibalism instead?

If a clown eats salmon on Tuesday, how much does a triangle weigh on Jupiter? Ask Mr. Wiggins for 10% off of your next dry cleaning bill. -Hades

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2013, 07:34:07 pm »
I also kinda want to point out how low her life expectancy is at this point. That needs to be taken into account if they're going to make special exceptions.

Yes, especially since her onset and progression of cystic fibrosis was unusually severe early in life. She may at best live another few years, if everything goes perfectly well with the second set of lungs.

http://www.livescience.com/37367-cystic-fibrosis-lung-transplant.html
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #56 on: July 15, 2013, 05:59:58 pm »
The judge does, yes, but the judge also needs to take into account the fact that, as noted above, ruling against the kid would immediately get him vilified beyond all redemption (as "that judge who killed that kid"). People usually don't have the patience for logical arguments when something as visceral as "a kid might die" is in play.

So? Judges are paid to make rulings based on the law, not on emotion.

When I was interning, one of the local judges made a ruling in a child custody hearing that pissed the community off. So much so that there were protests at the courthouse, and she had a police officer guarding her. But her ruling was the correct one based on the law, which is why she ruled as she did.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• The Beast
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2013, 12:26:17 pm »
The judge does, yes, but the judge also needs to take into account the fact that, as noted above, ruling against the kid would immediately get him vilified beyond all redemption (as "that judge who killed that kid"). People usually don't have the patience for logical arguments when something as visceral as "a kid might die" is in play.

So? Judges are paid to make rulings based on the law, not on emotion.

When I was interning, one of the local judges made a ruling in a child custody hearing that pissed the community off. So much so that there were protests at the courthouse, and she had a police officer guarding her. But her ruling was the correct one based on the law, which is why she ruled as she did.
I'm curious as to what the ruling and the controversy were. A lot of custody hearing's main guidelines seem to be "Are you the mother? You get custody".