Author Topic: Things just got real in Ukraine  (Read 37706 times)

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
Re: Things just got real in Ukraine
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 09:32:37 pm »
Firstly, warm water ports don't matter anymore. Modern ships can sail through (or, more importantly, under) ice without too much trouble. Secondly, Russia has a warm water port! They already own Sevastapol! Why would they invade Ukraine to gain control of a port that they already control?

Sevastopol is part of Ukraine, even though part of Russia's fleet is stationed there. Russia's only port that's ice-free all year round is in the Kaliningrad Oblast.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 09:44:38 pm »
So are we already in Cold War II, or is it just around the corner?

Firstly, warm water ports don't matter anymore. Modern ships can sail through (or, more importantly, under) ice without too much trouble. Secondly, Russia has a warm water port! They already own Sevastapol! Why would they invade Ukraine to gain control of a port that they already control?

Sevastopol is part of Ukraine, even though part of Russia's fleet is stationed there. Russia's only port that's ice-free all year round is in the Kaliningrad Oblast.

There's also Vladivostok, but that's on the far side of the country.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 09:49:31 pm »
Firstly, warm water ports don't matter anymore. Modern ships can sail through (or, more importantly, under) ice without too much trouble.
Wait, what? I know icebreakers are a thing, but freighter submarines? Are those actually a thing outside of the military?

No. You're not going to see civilian submarines used.

Joint control =/= ownership. Military interest, it contains one of their naval basses for the Black Sea Fleet. They are encroaching on NATO territory, they did this with Georgia before. Economic pressure would no longer be needed as well, see the 2010 Kharkiv Pact.

NATO is encroaching on Russian territory! Georgia and in particular Ukraine have always been part of Russia's sphere of influence, even during the Civil War. The revisionists here are NATO, not Russia. I'm not saying they're wrong, or that they're aggressive, but it's a bit unreasonable to blame the Russians for wanting to maintain the status quo.

Frankly, if the Ukrainians want to be part of Europe, they should be let part of the EU. Any step beyond that, particularly NATO membership, would be very dangerous.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Art Vandelay

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 12:33:11 am »
Firstly, warm water ports don't matter anymore. Modern ships can sail through (or, more importantly, under) ice without too much trouble.
Wait, what? I know icebreakers are a thing, but freighter submarines? Are those actually a thing outside of the military?

No. You're not going to see civilian submarines used.
So you're saying that non-submarines can go "under" the ice? I'm pretty sure that's physically impossible (at least not if you ever intend to come back up).

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 12:50:45 am »
Relevant:

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 03:50:08 am »

They had a deal about the Sevastopol port for 20 years. The deal was made in 1997 so the time was running out.
( http://www.nytimes.com/1997/05/29/world/russia-and-ukraine-finally-reach-accord-on-black-sea-fleet.html )

Times had changed in those 17 years. The control that Russia had over the Ukrainian goverment disappeared when the rioters caused the president to flee to Russia. If things had calmed down then you can bet that Ukraine would have started moving politically away from Russia and in a few years they would have lost the port and any chances of getting a new deal would have been low.

Now they will are taking Crimea and even if they are unable to take the entire Ukraine they get to keep their port and strengthen their position in the region.

Also, had Russia waited to make a move, NATO, EU or UN might have moved into Ukraine to calm things down, by making the first move they stopped those attempts as no one seems to want to start a war with Russia.

EDIT: Russia is now having military excercises right next door to Finland... And their media has already had anti-Finnish propaganda...

...There are no actual threats against Finland yet, but I do not like where things are going. Someone already joked that few months from now, this will be concidered as the moment when you should have packed your stuff and run.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 09:47:39 am by askold »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 01:29:32 pm »
And Simo Hayha died ten years ago, stripping Finland of its deterrent.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Canadian Mojo

• Don't Steal Him. We Need Him. He Makes Us Cool!
  • The Beast
  • Υπό σκιή
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:11 pm »

EDIT: Russia is now having military excercises right next door to Finland... And their media has already had anti-Finnish propaganda...

So you're expecting to be accused of shelling a remote boarder outpost some time in the near future.  ;)

Offline Kat S.

• Pope
  • Repentant sinner, unrepentant knowledge junkie
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 06:59:28 pm »
In Elena Filatova's opinion, Crimea isn't worth it and is a financial burden to Ukraine.  She stated earlier that if Putin tries to move into mainland Ukraine, he will have bloodshed.  Elena keeps re-editing her posts, so some of her comments will disappear completely.

Meanwhile, the West is trying the diplomatic approach to stopping Russia's antics, but questions how truly effective it will be towards Russia's aggression.  Obama had another conversation with Russia.  Angela Merkel is getting annoyed with Putin and question "if he is in touch with reality".  The EU has to be unanimous in their decision on how to deal with Russia's show of force.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2014, 12:41:55 am »
Gazprom stocks and Russian currency are going down. Furthermore, with USA putting the pressure on Russia this might turn out to be very costly to Putin and Russia.

Not to mention that all the money spent on the olympics to gain goodwill went to waste. (Some people already disliked russia due to their treatment of LGBT minorities and the olympics didn't change that, while the people who liked the olympics and Russia's poor treatment of minorities are likely to not like the invasion of Ukraine.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline The Illusive Man

• The Beast
  • Saw the ME3 endings, got turned into a husk. :(-
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2014, 12:48:20 am »
Meanwhile, the West is trying the diplomatic approach to stopping Russia's antics, but questions how truly effective it will be towards Russia's aggression.  Obama had another conversation with Russia.  Angela Merkel is getting annoyed with Putin and question "if he is in touch with reality".  The EU has to be unanimous in their decision on how to deal with Russia's show of force.
LULZ, leverage against Merkel to place leverage against Putin, grab some popcorn kiddies this is going to be a ffffuuuuunnnn ride.
Despite knowing about indoctrination I thought it was a good idea to put a human Reaper near my office. Now I am a sentient husk :(.

*RRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRR* *SCREECH* *smokes*

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2014, 02:15:11 am »
As I've heard around, they've lost about 60 BILLION due to the Russian ruble falling so damn hard... and 70% of Russians and a VERY large chunk of the military don't approve of what Putin's doing...

Yeah, this is pretty much the global equivalent of shooting yourself in the head if Putin keeps it up.  The Russian military hardware is laughable, they're losing millions by the day... there's even theories that the Ukraine could take on Russia and win with the right circumstances about now.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2014, 07:16:25 am »
Putin is holding a speech.

He has already claimed that there are no Russian troops in Crimea and that the takeover over there is being done by local volunteers... He also complained about the unlawful revolution in Ukraine.

I need to find a video about this speech as I am certain that his pants are about to spontaneously combust any second.

And all those "No Russian" jokes I've been hearing in the last few days...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 07:18:07 am by askold »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
"Unlawful revolution."  ...That's a tad redundant, don't ya think?  If it isn't, I want to see the revolt that is lawful under the country's own laws.  I think unlawfulness is kind of a big part of the whole revolt thing.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2014, 09:48:02 am »
"Unlawful revolution."  ...That's a tad redundant, don't ya think?  If it isn't, I want to see the revolt that is lawful under the country's own laws.  I think unlawfulness is kind of a big part of the whole revolt thing.

Actually, that is just me making a bad translation, what he said was that he believes Yakunovich being overthrown was done by illegal mean. He is technically correct about that (the best kind of correct.) Still, he is complaining about one group overthrowing the president while his goons have overthrown the local goverment in Crimea.