Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1462807 times)

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #915 on: August 26, 2012, 03:57:21 pm »
My dentist is prescribing some pretty strong stuff and says I'll need to be bed-bound all week. If it doesn't pan out, I'll still do Let's Plays of the trippy games, I just won't be on meds, meaning it may be a bit less loopy.

The current listing is:
Amnesia
Katamari Damacy
Farenhiet
Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
El Shaddai: Ascension of the Metatron
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Worms 3D
LSD
The Ship
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #916 on: August 26, 2012, 04:24:33 pm »
I'd also suggest anything from the Shin Megami Tensei or Persona series.  Disgaea's a good, toonier option, too.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #917 on: August 26, 2012, 06:58:19 pm »
I finally got around to finishing Fallout: New Vegas. I had played it so that I was near the end of both the Yes Man and NCR plotlines. I finished the NCR (that ending is DEPRESSING), then reloaded and finished with Yes Man (I like that one much better). I've started a playthrough to side with Caesar, and have another that I may use to do Mr. House. (The last one was intended to run around and pick up achievements I haven't done yet.) I also have a save of my NCR/Yes Man playthrough before going to end-game, so I can reload to do DLCs or whatever.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #918 on: August 26, 2012, 07:14:09 pm »
Even if you do the 4 main endings, you still haven't done all the endings because each one has about a hundred different sub-variations

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_endings

The NCR ending was only depressing for you because you did various things during the course of the game that made it so. If you play your cards right, even the Legion ending turns out not-completely-horrible.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #919 on: August 26, 2012, 07:40:11 pm »
Nearing the end of my second run through Dead Space 2, I had to unlock a door while fighting a regenertating creature.  I finally escaped through the door, only for it to follow and kill me.  Luckily, I spawned alone in the hallway I had escaped to.  Unfortunately, my health and stasis were almost out and all 3 of my guns were out of ammo. 

Of course, when I rounded the corner, I ran into about a dozen creatures.  After about a dozen tries, I finally managed to high-tail it to the elevator and slip in (by using the last of my stasis on the creature following me), only to end up in another room with more things that wanted me for dinner.

Luckily, I broke a few little crates, got a little ammo, and (after a few more tries), got through THAT area.  I then ended up in a Zero-G area, dodging laser beams while also dodging a plant-like creature's floating seeds (or whatever they were).  I don't know how, but I made it to the end, and hit the button to restore gravity and destroy the creature.  Unfortunately (AGAIN!), nothing happened, and the creature shot me just as I hit the button again (I'm SO glad for that 1 small health pack in the last area!).

Now I'm in an area with an item room, a store, a work bench, and a save area.  After all that crap, I'm doing the unlimited-item cheat to  fully upgrade some of my weapons.  I don't care if it's cheating; I deserve it after limping through the Halls of Hell!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #920 on: August 27, 2012, 07:06:20 am »
Even if you do the 4 main endings, you still haven't done all the endings because each one has about a hundred different sub-variations

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout:_New_Vegas_endings

The NCR ending was only depressing for you because you did various things during the course of the game that made it so. If you play your cards right, even the Legion ending turns out not-completely-horrible.

Actually, what made the NRC ending depressing for me was the NCR ending since I used the same character for NRC and Yes Man. (I played through Wild Card: Side Bets and For the Republic, Part 2 until I had to make a decision. I saved, played the NCR ending, then reloaded and played Yes Man.) What was depressing for me was all the people whose lives went to crap because of NCR rule (Goodsprings, Primm, etc).

Although I see now I should have talked to Boone more to complete his second quest. (I did both quests for ED-E, and didn't use any other companions.) Good thing to know for the playthrough where I plan to pick up everyone.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 07:08:03 am by erictheblue »
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Distind

« Reply #921 on: August 27, 2012, 01:19:34 pm »
Gaslamp games has a new baby:
http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/clockwork-empires-a-preview-of-gaslamp-games-lovecraft-laden-steampunk-city-builder/

The guys behind dungeons of dreadmor are apparently putting a city builder together, looks interesting to me.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #922 on: August 27, 2012, 11:11:29 pm »
Oh my!  I'll be keeping an eye out for that one!

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #923 on: August 28, 2012, 02:45:08 am »
Welp, I've got my MMOs set for awhile.

The Secret World:  Been looking into this one, seems funs, combat is bit wonky but I like the idea and atmosphere.  Plan on buying it thursday off of steam.  Only thing I'm trying to figure out is either being the Illuminati or Dragon.

The Old Republic: Plan on picking up the trialthrough and playing until level 15, game is going F2P in a month or two so I might as well wait and not buy the game to finish it.  Want to see what the stories are like for the classes, heard they are fantastic.  Probably going to be a Sith Warrior.

Final Fantasy XI:  Been wanting to play this one for a long time, but just haven't had the time to put into it.  It's extremely long with something along the line of over 5 expansions and a new one coming out next year, however I'm going to start it sometime soon.  Going to be a dragoon or dark knight.

Istaria: Played a week trial of this, thought it was sorta neat.  Actually really interested in being able to build caves(playerhouses) to live in more then anything. A purple dragon named spyro.

Guild Wars: The sequel is coming out so I figured I play the original alongside it. Wonder how different they are.

Guild Wars 2: Apparently the big talk of the town at the moment, going to play it alongside the original, I kinda wish it would be on steam like the first game.

Rift's Expansion The Storm Legion: Rift still tops my list for MMOs and I look forward to this expansion.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 03:02:26 am by syaoranvee »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #924 on: August 28, 2012, 04:08:13 am »
Final Fantasy XI:  Been wanting to play this one for a long time, but just haven't had the time to put into it.  It's extremely long with something along the line of over 5 expansions and a new one coming out next year, however I'm going to start it sometime soon.  Going to be a dragoon or dark knight.

They've actually made the grind not so much a grind anymore, probably because the declining playerbase makes it harder for players to find other players to make teams with.  Also, you can party with max-level party members now and earn experience.

As far as "dragoon" or "dark night" goes, it's not that simple... you're going to have to earn those classes.  The classes you start off with are Warrior, Monk, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage.

Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, you are able to change your main job (and later, when you earn it, your secondary job) at certain points - namely, your house or guest house.

I just have to say, though, Dragoon is an epic class, but Dark Knight's quest makes it seem very interesting.

Also, do be sure to check out Dancer.  That's a fun class from what I understand, and it works well with other classes, even as a secondary I think.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #925 on: August 28, 2012, 06:09:06 am »
Speaking of Guild Wars 2, apparently people are being banned for bad language, some people claiming they hadn't said anything bad at all and wanting to know why they were banned.  Then a support team member from Arenanet starts showing why these people are banned and some of them are hillarious.  From the things they say or from names like 'ballsacklarry'.

Example:

It just shows that people are butthurt for their actions and try to make a game look bad.

As far as "dragoon" or "dark night" goes, it's not that simple... you're going to have to earn those classes.  The classes you start off with are Warrior, Monk, Thief, Black Mage, White Mage, and Red Mage.

Yeah I know, you start out with a basic job and then have to have specific requirements and track down the person who will teach what job that you want.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:11:19 am by syaoranvee »

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #926 on: August 28, 2012, 06:27:51 am »
The Secret World:  Been looking into this one, seems funs, combat is bit wonky but I like the idea and atmosphere.  Plan on buying it thursday off of steam.  Only thing I'm trying to figure out is either being the Illuminati or Dragon.

I played the beta and the game is AWESOME. The only reason I'm not playing now is that I am short of funds. Once I can, I will get the game and play Templar. (Not that it really matters all that much.)

The Old Republic: Plan on picking up the trialthrough and playing until level 15, game is going F2P in a month or two so I might as well wait and not buy the game to finish it.  Want to see what the stories are like for the classes, heard they are fantastic.  Probably going to be a Sith Warrior.

I played this for several months when it came out. (Again, stopped playing because of funds.) I've started 1 of every class, though my mains are Imperial Agent (Sniper) and Jedi Consular (Sage). The game is amazing, and I hope going F2P will help the player base.

Guild Wars: The sequel is coming out so I figured I play the original alongside it. Wonder how different they are.

I played this a lot several years ago, and fired it up again a few months ago. I enjoyed it, though the style was kind of weird. (can't really explain why, just quirky).

Rift's Expansion The Storm Legion: Rift still tops my list for MMOs and I look forward to this expansion.

Played the free starting parts of this. The class system is really cool, though I found it is easy to make a character that just doesn't work very well. If I ever had time, I'd get back into it, since it is fun.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #927 on: August 28, 2012, 06:28:52 am »
It doesn't seem like they're banning them for bad language so much as abusive language.

Basically, if you can't say it in a crowded square without being cited for disturbing the peace (Example: "Wow, these fucking faggots are just shitting all over everything!  I'm going to take this dildo and ram it up their fucking ass!" vs. "Blah blah blah blah blah FUCK I spilled my drink".  The former being abusive, the latter not) then you can't really expect to say it in a video game chat room.

Also, good to hear you already did your research about FF11 :D It's a good game IMO, and I wish I could play it again but I lack the funds to pay monthly for a game right now.

Also, vaguely related to the current topic of discussion:
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrsgm4T7Wk" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcrsgm4T7Wk</a>
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 06:35:33 am by Zachski »
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #928 on: August 28, 2012, 06:39:10 am »
Don't take them overly seriously and the Illuminati are a blast.

Hell, if people are getting back into it let me know... I may very well resub it only lapsed because I knew the story backward and I was starting another new character.

Offline starseeker

• God
« Reply #929 on: August 28, 2012, 08:02:50 am »

They've actually made the grind not so much a grind anymore, probably because the declining playerbase makes it harder for players to find other players to make teams with.  Also, you can party with max-level party members now and earn experience.

Similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, you are able to change your main job (and later, when you earn it, your secondary job) at certain points - namely, your house or guest house.

I just have to say, though, Dragoon is an epic class, but Dark Knight's quest makes it seem very interesting.

Also, do be sure to check out Dancer.  That's a fun class from what I understand, and it works well with other classes, even as a secondary I think.

I main Dancer in FFXI, takes forever to kill things but we're nigh impossible to kill, especially with ninja as a sub. If you want to go Dark Knight I'd recommend starting as Red Mage or Warrior up to 49 (the unlock level is 30 but 49 is the max you'll need them as for a sub job), for Dragoon, Warrior as your starter.

It may be less grindy, but you will learn to despise Crawler's Nest book burns.