Author Topic: Massive protests in France  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Massive protests in France
« on: June 05, 2016, 02:59:18 am »
http://yournewswire.com/media-blackout-as-france-witnesses-biggest-revolution-in-200-years/

Hundreds of thousands of people have taken to the streets but "strangely" this has not caught much media attention...

Demanding a complete withdrawal of the draft reform bill, French workers stepped up protests, rallies and blockades in the third week of May.  As per the latest updates, one in three gas stations across the country run dry, causing long queues at normally well-stocked stations. There are blockades at 5 of France’s 8 oil refineries. Nearly 1/5th of nuclear power output is cut by striking staff. Since the nation’s electricity supply has dropped, the government is forced to dig into its emergency reserves.

These are not your average protests. The strikes are having a massive effect on the country.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: Massive protests in France
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 03:26:47 am »
Allows companies to opt out of national labor protection rules if they reach in-house deals on pay and conditions with the consent of a majority of their staff – and not the trade unions.

Anyone not in favor gets the sack, all in favor? Yay, democracy works!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 04:32:17 am »
Allows companies to opt out of national labor protection rules if they reach in-house deals on pay and conditions with the consent of a majority of their staff – and not the trade unions.

Yeah, there's a big push to get the same change to Finland as well. Lots of bullshit about how the unions are bad for business AND employees and how it would be easier if things could be negotiated locally. ...Which means that if company A wants to pay less than minimum acceptable wages and they manage to find morons who would work for less than they can get then they should be allowed to do so. ...Or saying stuff like "we can either stop paying you extra for work at weekends or we have to lay off 40% of you. Which would you prefer?" ...And other means of blackmailing folks to accept bad pay or risk losing their jobs completely.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 05:24:54 am »

Yeah, there's a big push to get the same change to Finland as well. Lots of bullshit about how the unions are bad for business AND employees and how it would be easier if things could be negotiated locally. ...Which means that if company A wants to pay less than minimum acceptable wages and they manage to find morons who would work for less than they can get then they should be allowed to do so. ...Or saying stuff like "we can either stop paying you extra for work at weekends or we have to lay off 40% of you. Which would you prefer?" ...And other means of blackmailing folks to accept bad pay or risk losing their jobs completely.
I think every "centre left" party gets to a point where the cushy "consultancy" positions in big companies offered for toeing the line becomes just too tempting, happened to the Australian Labor Party and British Labour and is just more so with the US Democrats. And then there's the chorus of "there is no alternative" to the accepted neoliberal line being sang even in "liberal" outlets like the New York Times and the Guardian.

The French way of life is under threat from economic reality

Pigs arse, economic decisions aren't forces of nature. They are decided by human beings. The grand experiments of neoliberalism and globalisation have had a decidedly spotty record on the ground and have absolutely benefited some classes better than others and it's led to a resurgence in the reactionary right worldwide because the losers of our current systems aren't being listened to and our centre left parties are seen as selling out.