Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2025507 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10350 on: February 11, 2017, 03:31:16 pm »
Trying to get programs to work on Linux...

I knew that it would take some work and that not everything would work at all but finding out that people on the net have succeeded in things that I can't do and that I am not even smart enough to follow their instructions is frustrating.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #10351 on: February 11, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »
Dear news feed,

Alright already! Tom Brady is the GOAT! I get it! Could you please talk about something else?

Love, Lana

Want p*** off the people praising him left and right?  Just say the Pats only won because of an OT coin toss.  I got my own mother to curse me out for that one!
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10352 on: February 18, 2017, 08:32:40 am »
My wife got misgendered three times by random strangers in the last few days, one of whom called her "faggot" and one of whom was some jerkass street preacher type.

GRRRRRR!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10353 on: February 18, 2017, 04:06:31 pm »
Can't help you with that buddy.  You've got two choices though.  Learn to live with it and be forever annoyed or CHANGE THE UNIVERSE!

Ironbite-the latter is more satisfying btw.

Offline Random Gal

• Bisex Rex
  • The Beast
  • Sic Semper Tyrannosaurus
« Reply #10354 on: February 18, 2017, 05:31:12 pm »
Maybe solving the problem in traditional tyrannosaur fashion by eating the offender is in order next time.

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10355 on: February 18, 2017, 05:40:52 pm »
Go for it, random!
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10356 on: February 18, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »
Hyper-christian people I live with listening to radio, Ken Ham commercial comes on where he equates allowing gay marriage with allowing poly-marriage (which I only have problems with for the inheritance-type issues it creates), allowing child marriage, and allowing marriage to animals. I objected, saying the words "consenting adults", but was immediately shouted down and told they weren't gonna argue the issue with me.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #10357 on: February 18, 2017, 10:31:18 pm »
Hyper-christian people I live with listening to radio, Ken Ham commercial comes on where he equates allowing gay marriage with allowing poly-marriage (which I only have problems with for the inheritance-type issues it creates), allowing child marriage, and allowing marriage to animals. I objected, saying the words "consenting adults", but was immediately shouted down and told they weren't gonna argue the issue with me.
Which, of course, is a sign they know they'd lose. "Don't confuse us with logic" and all that.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Svata

• The Beast
« Reply #10358 on: February 18, 2017, 10:44:22 pm »
Its more of a "we're your elders, and you don't have the privilege of sharing your opinions or trying to convince us of them, so shut up and listen to HIS radio at the house and The Patriot on the road."

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10359 on: February 19, 2017, 02:36:20 am »
Can't help you with that buddy.  You've got two choices though.  Learn to live with it and be forever annoyed or CHANGE THE UNIVERSE!

Ironbite-the latter is more satisfying btw.

Change the universe sounds good. BRB, making contact with Dagda.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10360 on: February 23, 2017, 04:45:04 am »
My continuing arguments over Fallout setting have lead to people claiming to me that the US prison industry making profits is proof that it is economical for the Legion to capture slaves and work them to death...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10361 on: February 23, 2017, 08:40:23 am »
I"m sorry what?

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #10362 on: February 23, 2017, 02:29:29 pm »
...What the fuck?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10363 on: February 23, 2017, 02:51:59 pm »
A power outage managed to find that split-second when my hard drive, despite my not actively using it, was writing, probably to virtual memory, before my UPS kicked in.

As a result my partition table was knocked out of whack, the drive won't boot (or even be recognized by the BIOS) and I have over 3000 bad blocks (of 490 million, but still), rendering one of the partitions unreadable (thankfully not one with anything I'd be particularly sad to lose). So now I have to hope that I can edit the partition table properly (via an external box on another machine) to get the drive bootable again, and then clone it to a new internal hard drive, because if I can't get the drive to boot, I'll have to get a new internal HD and reinstall the OS entirely.

EDIT: Well, after a few reboots, a false start due to a data cable getting in the way of the CPU fan, and some repairs with a Windows install CD, I got my old drive to boot. Now I just have to hope the clone goes off properly so that I won't be booting from a drive with bad sectors.

At least dd apparently won't clone a larger disk onto a smaller one using the command from the website I'm following, and the new internal HD I got is larger than the one I already have, both of which are larger than my laptop's HD, so I should just have to be careful not to overwrite my old HD with my laptop's data, as that would be a Very Bad Thing.

Augh, I hope this works.

EDIT #2: Hurrah! Except for some loss of data on my least critical partition (almost all of which was backed up elsewhere, and what little wasn't backed up isn't a big loss), I've got my desktop back up and running the same as before, except now my HD is twice as big.

Now to hope that another power disruption doesn't fry this drive...
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 03:23:51 pm by dpareja »
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10364 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:23 pm »
When people mispronounce Latin.  It is skee-oh and wi-tray-uus, not sai-oh and vih-tree-uus.  (Foe 'scio' and 'vitreus,' respectively.)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 09:12:56 pm by RavynousHunter »
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.