Author Topic: Who cares if being gay is a choice or not?  (Read 5958 times)

Offline Flying Mint Bunny!

• Zoot be praised and to His Chosen victory
  • The Beast
Re: Who cares if being gay is a choice or not?
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2013, 10:51:39 am »
I don't think that being gay or any other type of sexuality is a choice, but I do agree that whether or not you choose it is irrelevant.

As far as i'm concerned as long as it's consenting adults or teenagers of a similar age, I don't have a problem with it.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2013, 10:54:06 am »
I think it's similar to how pro-choice people argue about abortions in cases of rape, even if they think abortion is OK in cases where it was an "accident".
They do this because pro-lifers usually blame the woman for having sex, etc.
Anti-gay people kind of do the same. Like "Want to get married and have equal rights? Don't want to get bullied? Well that's your fault because you chose to be gay. It's your consequence" is similar to "Can't afford a child? Can't deal with the emotional strain of adoption or the financial issues? Well you should have kept your legs closed!".
If it were proven that being gay isn't a choice, then fundies would have to find a new argument. Just like how their argument against abortion doesn't work in cases of rape at all, even though the argument was shit in the first place.
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2013, 11:08:34 am »
The fun part is when you make both sides twitch by mentioning bisexuals. Someone who can make the choice between apparent hetero or homo sexuality. You'll get some gay rights activists who positively lose their minds over this, and I'm reasonably sure this debate over 'choice' is exactly why. Nevermind that they likely have attraction to both sexes, some people need to nail these thing down into binary answers.

Because it's really fun to have people like Dan Savage say people like me don't exist. [/sarcasm]

Seriously though, I'm bisexual and I'd hate to be dictated to me who I could and couldn't love. It would be an insult to me and everyone who has a stronger attraction to both sides rather than one side to try to worry about whether it's a choice or not. Probably why in general, LGBT, B and T really don't get much at all.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2013, 02:13:18 pm »
The fun part is when you make both sides twitch by mentioning bisexuals. Someone who can make the choice between apparent hetero or homo sexuality. You'll get some gay rights activists who positively lose their minds over this, and I'm reasonably sure this debate over 'choice' is exactly why. Nevermind that they likely have attraction to both sexes, some people need to nail these thing down into binary answers.

But the one angle I haven't seen pointed out is, well, Christianity generally regards sin as a choice, an active choice to turn away from god. So if homosexuality is a sin, they assume it's a choice because otherwise god's making things in a way he opposes.

The way I see it, bisexual people didn't choose to be bisexual either :P

Then again I don't live in a world of binary sexuality.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Distind

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 02:20:18 pm »

Yeah, it's why I go with 'apparent' in front of the two expected ones.

But really, when the people are that thick in the head what else can you do but have fun poking them?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 02:26:44 pm »

Yeah, it's why I go with 'apparent' in front of the two expected ones.

But really, when the people are that thick in the head what else can you do but have fun poking them?

True.

And since these are the same people who want to shove the B (and probably the T as well, but that's another topic) out of LGBT, they kinda deserve all the poking.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 03:03:44 pm »
Well, the problem is that your existence presents difficulties for Mr. Savage's politics.

The irony somehow escapes him...
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا