Author Topic: Why bother translating?  (Read 6219 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Why bother translating?
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2013, 04:48:47 pm »
I'll just leave this here: at least Bella Cullen didn't commit genocide.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:43 am »
It has always struck me as odd that people who claim to believe that the Bible is the word of an all powerful god and the key to not being tortured for all eternity never actually read it. They'll read small snippets of it at the behest of their priest or bible study group, but they'll never actually read the whole thing cover to cover. I've never understood why that is, personally.

I've actually talked to people who said that reading the Bible cover-to-cover in order was actually the WRONG WAY to do it, particularly if you didn't have a priest or pastor to "assist" in your interpretation. Which makes me wonder why an all-powerful god would want to be associated with a book that was apparently published with its parts in the wrong order and is too complicated for the majority of his creations to understand.

Probably that "God speaks through others" bullshit.  Excuses like that make it so obvious that their religion is a giant scam. 

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2013, 12:42:05 pm »
This is why I'm an eclectic NeoPagan. As far a religion is concerned, it makes most sense. It supports equality, LGBTs, sex & pleasure, science, nature, etc. and it doesn't required big structured organizations.

That said, as far as the scientific nature of reality, what the Eastern faiths teach is very plausible. If you strip away the moralistic & cultural stuff you actually have a lot a good stuff in line with science, medicine, quantum physics, philosophy, etc.

Come to think of it, much of today's NeoPaganism seems to have absorbed Eastern stuff.

In my ideal world, everyone would be either NeoPagan, Deist, Atheist, Agnostic, Non-Religious Spirituality, Pantheist (in other words, no organized religion or dogmas).

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2013, 12:55:11 pm »
When it comes down to it, Christianity is a depressing faith.  We're all sinners destined for hell unless we call out to Jesus.  Where's the hope in that? 

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 06:29:20 pm »
When it comes down to it, Christianity is a depressing faith.  We're all sinners destined for hell unless we call out to Jesus.  Where's the hope in that?
The hope that you'll be a good little sheep, and follow your shepard.  9.9

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2013, 02:51:15 am »
It has always struck me as odd that people who claim to believe that the Bible is the word of an all powerful god and the key to not being tortured for all eternity never actually read it. They'll read small snippets of it at the behest of their priest or bible study group, but they'll never actually read the whole thing cover to cover. I've never understood why that is, personally.
They're lazy, Art. Really, people won't read anything more complex than a picture book these days.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2013, 05:55:17 am »

Eternal damnation is one of my least favorite things about Christianity. I much prefer the Jewish afterlife:
1. Die.
2. Go to Gehenna.
3. Suffer in proportion to your sins.
4. Go to Heaven.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2013, 07:23:21 am »

Eternal damnation is one of my least favorite things about Christianity. I much prefer the Jewish afterlife:
1. Die.
2. Go to Gehenna.
4. Go to Heaven.

I think that used to be part of the christian belief as well. At some point it turned from purgatory to eternal damnation. Well at least in some versions of christianity, I've heard a lutheran priest talk about purgatory in the original way it was. He also believed that all "unbelievers and heretics" will also reach heaven in time.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2013, 07:28:57 am »
They're lazy, Art. Really, people won't read anything more complex than a picture book these days.
On the contrary. The success of Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey proves that even the most brain dead morons are capable of reading large books.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:42 am »

1. Die.
2. Go to Gehenna.
4. Go to Heaven.

Sounds kinda like the afterlife I thought up for my game.  Basically, when you die, you either go to one of three places: Heaven (for the REALLY good), Hell (for the REALLY evil), or Elysium (for everyone else).  Most regular folks go to Elysium; its a nice place to be, you're never hungry, don't need to sleep or drink, there's no pain, its like a nicer version of the game world itself.  Every afterlife has a maximum stay of 1,000 years, and after that, your spirit's turned back into the primordial life energy from whence it came, and is for lack of a better term, recycled into other living beings.

Homicidal maniacs like Hitler or Stalin would go to Hell for a millennium, but really good folks like Bill Gates would be in Heaven for a good, long time, too.  Also introduces a nice balance between being born an entirely new being, and the concept of reincarnation.  Once you're recycled, all your memories, abilities, and personality are effectively erased, but your most basic essence remains.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2013, 11:28:27 am »
I prefer universal reconciliation as well. It makes most sense.

Offline PosthumanHeresy

• Directing Scenes for Celebritarian Needs
  • The Beast
  • Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »
On the contrary. The success of Twilight and Fifty Shades of Grey proves that even the most brain dead morons are capable of reading large books.
True, but those are easier to read.
What I used to think was me is just a fading memory. I looked him right in the eye and said "Goodbye".
 - Trent Reznor, Down In It

Together as one, against all others.
- Marilyn Manson, Running To The Edge of The World

Humanity does learn from history,
sadly, they're rarely the ones in power.

Quote from: Ben Kuchera
Life is too damned short for the concept of “guilty” pleasures to have any meaning.