Author Topic: Team Fortress 2: Mann vs Machine  (Read 18585 times)

Saturn500

Re: Team Fortress 2: Mann vs Machine
« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2012, 11:50:38 am »
Wow, Mann Up mode sure is tough.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2012, 01:33:58 pm »
Syao:  I think I like your medic.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2012, 09:14:16 pm »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVueSF-z1Ys" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVueSF-z1Ys</a>

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2012, 12:01:07 am »
I just joined Steam. Hit me with invites and stuff.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2012, 12:05:30 am »
I just joined Steam. Hit me with invites and stuff.

What's your account name? :3
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2012, 12:14:15 am »
Rinellawashere.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline agentCDE

• Bishop
  • Slacker Heathen Extraordinaire!
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2012, 12:32:47 am »
So I finally got to play MvM.

A: It's rough.
B: It's fun.

A tip: don't want to sit in line? Open your server browser, set your map filter to mvm.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2012, 02:13:45 am »
Oh yeah, my Steam Account name is my username on here (My username on Steam is OWNi if you don't see it matching). Just message me to let me know it is you. I don't need some wackadoo posing as one of you guys.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2012, 09:11:05 pm »
Well, at this point, I've managed to clear 2 MvM missions. One of them even gave me the Sniper's Bolted Bushman robotic hat as a reward. 4 more missions until I get one of the Botkiller weapons...

God, some of these things are murderous, though.

Edit: Make that three missions down. Halfway there.

Spy is amusing to play. Backstabbing usually gets you killed, but you're an amazing support with a maxed out Sapper. I just went a whole mission without a single kill, but acted as a tremendous asset to my team for all the work I did to help them out.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:17:51 pm by Yaezakura »

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2012, 11:28:18 pm »
I want a Robot Running Man myself.  Also, the mannworks map mission are hard.  Ridiculously hard.  It took me and a team over ten tries to complete the final wave and everything had to go flawlessly as possible.  I have 4 missions completed and only need to do one on each Coal Town and Decoy.

A spy is most useful taking out the medics of the large enemies and to slow down large scouts.  Sapping the medics and then using an ubercharge can allow you to kill a group of 4 medics without dying at once while the big enemy can do nothing to stop you.  You can also be a good spy checker as a hidden spy will show a spot to place a sapper if you have it out near them.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 11:49:16 pm by syaoranvee »

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2012, 11:55:38 pm »
Hrm. I actually never considered buying UberCharge Canteens. Basically, I'd just wait until the enemies dropped, sap the Giant, which would hit all the Medics, then my team mowed them all down. The only times I even bothered to attack anything was when the only thing left of a wave was a Tank. I just spent my time making sure Medics were disabled, and Giants were moving as slowly as possible to give my team the time they needed to get the job done.

I also learned that Bots will attack you even when disguised if they see you Sap their buddies. However, if you avoid their attacks for like 3 seconds, they forget and move on. Something to keep in mind for any of you planning to Spy in MvM. Also some nifty knowledge? The robots will not aggro if they watch you decloak. They just... don't seem to care about it.

And I so know what you mean about MannWorks. The final wave of the first mission there has kicked my ass over 50 times. I haven't cleared it yet. 2 sets of 2 Tanks, tons of Deflector Heavies with Uber Medics... just... ugh... I hate that mission SO much...

Offline syaoranvee

• The Beast
« Reply #41 on: August 20, 2012, 04:00:45 am »
Got my first botkiller weapon:

(click to show/hide)

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2012, 12:14:02 pm »
Well, I've now cleared 5 of the 6 missions, including the one I mentioned earlier that kicked my ass so hard (MannWorks' Machine Mayhem, I believe is the name). It was just... surprisingly easy this time for some reason. I guess people, including me, are getting their practice in and it's starting to show.

Made me feel kind of good, honestly. My team called me the most effective Spy any of them had ever seen in MvM. I'd disable giant hordes of scouts, disable medics so they couldn't uber giants, backstab snipers so they couldn't threaten my team... I just felt like I was contributing a lot, even with a very low count of actual bots killed.

Amusingly, Spy is probably my worst class in traditional play. I have fun with it, but I'm not effective at all.

All that's left is that Endurance round. Anyone who's gone through it have any tips for me?

Edit: Heh, nevermind. I completed the entire Tour of Duty! I got the Strange Botkiller Minigun, which is precisely the Botkiller I wanted (I had no strange Heavy primaries). Also, as my normal mission drop, I got the Engineer's Hotrod hat. It was a rather satisfying end to the tour, I must say.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 01:56:16 pm by Yaezakura »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2012, 04:01:24 pm »
I think Spy is almost everyone's worst class, because so much of its abilities rely on your opponents' lack of skill.  The skill required to play Spy effectively in spite of your opponents' skill is much higher than the skill required to play any other class effectively.

In MvM, you're fighting waves and waves of robots that literally forget about you and don't care if you decloak in front of them, fighting more by numbers than strategy.  Spy is probably a god in this mode.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2012, 06:34:42 pm »
Actually, it can be really dangerous to be a spy. You have to be right in the middle of the horde to accomplish much of anything, and spies aren't exactly durable. The bots are also surprisingly skilled--spybots will pull off trick stabs like the stairstab and matador, sniperbots have pretty much perfect accuracy, pyrobots will play Ring Around the Sentry if they get close to them, medicbots have perfect uber timing, etc.

The spy's job in MvM is simply very different in MvM than in traditional play. While normally, the spy's primary objective is to take out engineer nests and key targets like snipers and medics, here the spy is much more about sabotage than assassination. You get in the horde, sap them, and run. You sap medic-bots so they can't uber giants, leaving them for your team to mow down. You do still have the task of tracking down and backstabbing snipers, though.

Trying to play a more traditional spy by, for instance, backstabbing the medic healing the Giant Deflector Heavy will just get you killed--the moment you do, your disguise breaks and the Heavy turns on you for killing his medic. You also have to learn the waves and the best times to use your sapper, since unlike in normal play, it has a significant cooldown in MvM. If you sap a group of normal enemies, only to have a Giant Rapid-Fire Soldier hit the ground with 4 Uber Medics on it a few seconds later, your team could very well be in trouble.

Spy may be easier to play in MvM than in traditional play, but I wouldn't say it's any more true than for any other class. It's an entirely different environment with different goals no matter what the class is you're using. The spy's limited ability to kill enemies and vulnerability makes using it well challenging. You're not going to have anything close to the kill count of the Heavy or Soldier--you have to contribute by your few kills being very important and by supporting your team at just the right moments with your sapper.