Author Topic: What is one lie your parents told you as a child that completely screwed you up?  (Read 12716 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
Well I'll go first.

Scarring level at the time was bad, but looking back I laugh.

My dad told me when I was 5 the bar underneath the seat that just moves the seat forward and back, was the the lever that would eject your seat from the car like in the james bond movies.  Never did touch that thing til I was like 10 and learned what it really did.
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline Atheissimo

• Bishop
I asked my Dad what the sliced ham in the fridge was made out of. He replied 'Gorilla'.

I didn't eat processed ham for years after that.

'You're not married, you haven't got a girlfriend... and you've never watched Star Trek? Good Lord.' - Sir Patrick Stewart

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
Why is this thread limited to parents?  I think my sister told me once long ago that "gum was made of cow guts" or something crazy like that.  I'm not sure how much it "screwed me up," but it was a disturbing thought, regardless.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Jodie

• Cyborg Wannabe
  • Pope
  • WTF???
    • Doodles and stuff
That Santa was real.

When I questioned if Santa was real (especially when I learned for myself that he wasn't) I would be punished emotionally and with blackmail ("If you don't believe in Santa then you won't get presents" etc.) and if that didn't work I would get the belt for daring to question by father (because it was implying that I was calling him a liar).

The thing is, my dad is an old school authoritarian parent and I would be severly punished for lying (usually physically and emotionally), and yet they insisted on keeping me believing this lie. I didn't care that Santa wasn't real, it was the sheer hypocrisy. And the beating. They beat me when I questioned their lie about Santa being real. Seriously.

So yeah, I'm still a little bitter about it.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Corinthians 13: 4-7

Offline Jebediah

• Official FSTDT Welcome Committee Head
  • The Beast
  • Winner.
My brother told me that the fruit in fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt was really blood (we must have been eating strawberry). To this day I don't eat that kind of yogurt.
Everybody's doin' the fish.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
It wasn't anything my parents said.  But they kept sending me to summer camp, then moving without telling me where.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
I once gave my sister OCD by telling her everything she touched deserved two touches cause she "owed" them or something.

Ironbite-think I may have fucked her up for life with that one.

QueenofHearts

Christianity

And that rice patties were made from bird brains. Now that I think of it, I can't remember eating a rice patty in the last two decades.

Distind

And that rice patties were made from bird brains. Now that I think of it, I can't remember eating a rice patty in the last two decades.
Don't worry, you haven't missed much.

Can't really nail any on my parents, but one particularly cruel upper classman told me that if you take a breath near a grave yard you could suck up a soul. I road the bus, I was the last kid off, there were no less than three graveyards on that route. All of which were located at intersections with stop signs.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
It wasn't anything my parents said.  But they kept sending me to summer camp, then moving without telling me where.

As I was drifting off to sleep last night, thinking about various things I'd seen or read over the course of the day, this post came to mind and made me crack up so hard that I was jolted wide awake.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!

As I was drifting off to sleep last night, thinking about various things I'd seen or read over the course of the day, this post came to mind and made me crack up so hard that I was jolted wide awake.
Don't laugh too hard. That legitimately happened to one of my co-workers. It's why he isn't close to his parents. They apparently "forgot" he needed to know and though he'd magically be dropped off at their new home.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
That the Bible is the literal word of God.

And from my youth pastors...

That I'm an unworthy individual and should always be repenting of my sin, and that the rest of the world is to be pitied for not being Christian.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Whore of Spamylon

• Bishop
My sister, when in charge of making sure I got a bath, told me she would cut off my penis if I didn't wash it properly.

Threatening children with genital mutilation, even if one is lying, is NEVER...EVER...COOL!  I can't help but resent her still for that aspect of my life.

“Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes.” - William Gibson

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
That the rapture would actually happen.

Offline Dantes Virgil

• Bishop
When I was very, very little, my mother got rid of my pacifier and bottles and what not by telling me as she was laying me down for a nap one day that they all took a little trip down the road together, walked out of the gate and were never coming back.  She even did this little dance-y motion with her hands as she was describing it in a sing-song voice, LOL.  It's one of the few things I remember from my childhood, as it made me question whether any of the rest of my toys and books were going to decide "To hell with this, we're going on vacation!"

*edited to note "very early childhood."