Author Topic: Purple Squirrel  (Read 7194 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Purple Squirrel
« on: February 11, 2012, 01:54:49 am »
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/02/10/146717601/a-purple-squirrel-in-pennsylvania-provokes-a-host-of-theories?live=1

That's the real picture, btw. I though it was a joke when I read about it on facebook but yea it's been covered by the AP too:

"'I thought, "Nobody's going to believe me,"' [Percy] said. 'Even the inside of its ears were purple. It wasn't like it fell into something. It didn't look like that at all.'

"The animal quickly became an online sensation and even has its own Facebook page.

"After the couple released the squirrel Tuesday, Percy Emert said a state game warden came by and took samples of purple fur that the squirrel left behind inside the cage, as well as six to eight pieces of fur that Percy Emert took from the squirrel's tail before releasing it.

"'It looked like it was healthy, the only thing was that its teeth were brown,' he said."

It was found in Jersey Shore. Maybe all the radiation from orange tanned vain dudes changed them. lol
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 01:57:28 am by gyeonghwa »
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline Mira

• Literally Worse Than Hitler
  • Pope
  • Cisphobic reverse racist
    • Houserule Gaming
Re: Purple Squirrel
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 02:03:43 am »
But will it fit in a Pokeball?
I’ve grown overfed, unconcerned and comfortably numb
Kept busy indulging in the pleasures of the wealthy
Oh, someone make me afraid of what I’ve become!

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 02:05:00 am »
But will it fit in a Pokeball?

Let's do a study to find out. For lulz science of course.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 01:01:34 pm »
When they found out what turned it purple, it might start a new designer pet trend.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »
Squirrels' teeth are normally brown.  Most rodents have an orangey layer on their teeth, but I'm not sure why.
Anyways.  I'm going to say food coloring of some sort.  Possibly drink mix.

Here's the story I'm basing it on:  When I was a kid, I had a bunch of fancy mice (and some other rodents) for pets, and I started breeding them as a hobby.

Some of them were albino - PEWs - and hard to tell apart.  And one of the males was VERY aggressive.  He'd slaughter any other male in his cage.  And I didn't have the heart to kill him, so I named him 'Mousolini' and kept him in his own cage.

To tell him apart from the other PEWs, I put one drop of blue food coloring on his head, thinking it would dye that spot on his fur.  Instead, he groomed himself and ate the food coloring, and his entire body turned light blue, his skin turned purple, and though it faded over time, he was blue for the rest of his life.  (also his poops were really pretty for a few days - they looked like turquoise beads. lol)
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2012, 07:21:07 pm »
Well, this is... um...

wat.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2012, 07:23:10 pm »
The squirrel got loose, btw.

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2012, 11:22:09 pm »

It was found in Jersey Shore. Maybe all the radiation from orange tanned vain dudes changed them. lol

Maybe it is indeed, radioactive
« Last Edit: February 12, 2012, 11:24:43 pm by Radiation »
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline BFDD

• Neonate
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »
My money is on Photoshop. I have taken pictures of squirrels before and they turned out with a slight tint of purple. After reading this on another site, I opened my picture in Photoshop and used the sponge tool. The tail of the squirrel turned the same color of purple as the one in the picture. Unfortunately the squirrel in my picture had a lot of brown and that turned more reddish than purple so I couldn't completely replicate the picture. If I find some time I will try to take some more pictures and replicate the picture completely. 

I also mentioned on the other site that it is odd that they don't have any video of the squirrel. All phones and cameras have video these days.

Offline Quasirodent

• Pope
  • You knew it in your heart all along.
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 02:11:12 pm »
I looked at all the photos, and I don't think it was shopped.  The coloration is too consistent in all the pictures, plus the reflections and lighting are accurate - if it is, an artist with real skill did this.

I'm sticking to my food dye theory.  There was once a green cat found, whose fur had been colored by copper oxides in the water she was drinking.
Jesus had two dads and he turned out okay.

Offline BFDD

• Neonate
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 06:51:56 pm »
All it takes is to increase the saturation of the color. The coloration would be consistent because the original color of the squirrel is consistent. And again I have to question why they only posted still photos rather than video.

If it is indeed real and they really did have a game warden take fur samples we will know soon what the cause was.