Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Society and History / Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Last post by dpareja on October 20, 2017, 07:53:54 pm »
I just generally dislike long, English-language, philosophical arguments. Too much sesquipedalian loquaciousness, and not enough use of actual mathematical proof or scientific experimentation. I mean, how is "if it doesn't exist I cannot talk about it" a valid syllogism? I can talk about my third arm, despite not having one, and I can talk about married bachelors, which cannot exist even in principle.

And then he goes on to basically steal his entire argument from Aquinas, who himself (by his own admission) stole it all from Aristotle.

Anyway...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5000962/Jenna-Jameson-likes-transphobic-tweets-Playboy-diss.html (link contains implied nudity)

Playboy just had their first transgender playmate. So what does Jenna Jameson (who was never a playmate) do?

Go on a huge transphobic Twitter rant.
Politics and Government / Re: Congress on Track to Make Boycotting Israel Illegal
« Last post by dpareja on October 20, 2017, 07:10:15 pm »
https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harvey/2017/10/19/get-harvey-relief-funds-residents-dickinson-must-vow-boycott-israel

If you live in Dickinson, Texas and want a grant from the Hurricane Harvey relief fund, you have to verify that you have not boycotted Israel and will not boycott Israel.

That sounds... massively unconstitutional... for the government to demand that.

« Last post by pyro on October 20, 2017, 02:59:18 pm »
I just generally dislike long, English-language, philosophical arguments. Too much sesquipedalian loquaciousness, and not enough use of actual mathematical proof or scientific experimentation. I mean, how is "if it doesn't exist I cannot talk about it" a valid syllogism? I can talk about my third arm, despite not having one, and I can talk about married bachelors, which cannot exist even in principle.
Society and History / Re: What happened when a university opened its LGBTQ centre?
« Last post by Svata on October 20, 2017, 01:44:05 pm »
Because of course it did
Classy.
Society and History / What happened when a university opened its LGBTQ centre?
« Last post by dpareja on October 20, 2017, 12:56:55 pm »
Cleveland State University just opened its first LGBTQ centre. At the same time, this flyer began popping up around campus:

Fuck you, "Fascist Solutions."

EDIT: http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/flier-cleveland-state-university-lgbtq-suicide_us_59e85af3e4b00905bdaec646

Oh, and this flyer? It gets the attempted suicide rate wrong... it's higher than what's claimed there.
Religion and Philosophy / Re: Lady Checkmate on Disqus - Faith & Religion
« Last post by Jocasta on October 20, 2017, 10:40:35 am »
TOO funny, this is how Lady Checkmate was BEFORE she owned a channel and became a moderator:

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/channel-communitycouncil/mods_continue_abuse_retaliate_against_innocent_cm/

Note the date, 2 years ago.  And here she is complaining about OTHER moderators!  Fast forward even a year to when she became a frothing at the mouth, raging psychobitch and this becomes a hysterical read.

Also:  LOOK!  WELCOME EVERYONE!  COOKIES! TEA!

https://disqus.com/home/discussion/channel-communitycouncil/concerns_with_moderation/

Wow, a lot can happen when a moderator goes batshit crazy.
Religion and Philosophy / Re: Christian News Network fundies
« Last post by Jocasta on October 20, 2017, 10:15:51 am »
Haaaaa...I’m guessing it’s just a LadyCheckmate alt. She’s annoying. Nice to be noticed, but it just makes me laugh.

You aren't the first one to suggest that.  I'm less certain, she expends a LOT of energy disciplining and shrieking at and punishing the people who use her Disqus channels.

Then again, putting people's names she will "pray for" in her own profile reeks of something Checkmate would do.
« Last post by dpareja on October 20, 2017, 12:04:59 am »
Proof that souls, God, Jesus, and Heaven all exist!

The Soul: Back in the 5th century B.C., the philosopher Parmenides persuasively argued that, because it is impossible and absurd for something not to exist (because if it doesn't exist, it isn't something and can't be spoken of)....

Made it that far before my brain said "that is the dumbest fucking thing" and refused to read further.

I'd read further, because he gives his refutation in the next paragraph.

EDIT: In fact, in the next few sentences...

He proved that, under the basically materialist physical theories of the world that dominated Greek science to that point, the observable universe could only exist as an utterly undifferentiated, eternal, motionless, and changeless infinity of matter. Since this flew in the face of all observable evidence (the world does, in fact, change!), the next several centuries were spent trying to dig physicalism out of the hole Parmenides had pushed it into.

I don't think that refutes the part I quoted.  Also, I read further.  Lots of shifting goal posts, conflation of ideas, typical stuff.  Could probably do a point-by-point refutation but, like most everything, that seems really pointless.

What I told him was that even if I accepted everything he said, I find the Christian god (and indeed monotheistic gods in general) to be so heinous that if one exists, I'm doing everything I can to kill the fucker.
« Last post by Wurdulac on October 19, 2017, 11:23:14 pm »
Proof that souls, God, Jesus, and Heaven all exist!

The Soul: Back in the 5th century B.C., the philosopher Parmenides persuasively argued that, because it is impossible and absurd for something not to exist (because if it doesn't exist, it isn't something and can't be spoken of)....

Made it that far before my brain said "that is the dumbest fucking thing" and refused to read further.

I'd read further, because he gives his refutation in the next paragraph.

EDIT: In fact, in the next few sentences...

He proved that, under the basically materialist physical theories of the world that dominated Greek science to that point, the observable universe could only exist as an utterly undifferentiated, eternal, motionless, and changeless infinity of matter. Since this flew in the face of all observable evidence (the world does, in fact, change!), the next several centuries were spent trying to dig physicalism out of the hole Parmenides had pushed it into.

I don't think that refutes the part I quoted.  Also, I read further.  Lots of shifting goal posts, conflation of ideas, typical stuff.  Could probably do a point-by-point refutation but, like most everything, that seems really pointless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10