Author Topic: Poll: Should I sell homemade doll clothes on Etsy?  (Read 1479 times)

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
Poll: Should I sell homemade doll clothes on Etsy?
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:31:05 am »
I've been making clothes for 18" dolls for a while now, and have come up with some delightfully nerdy doll clothes/costume ideas, inspired by such things as D&D, Lovecraft, and Avatar: The Last Airbender.  (I'll be putting up photos and concept sketches later this week, since I'm sure people want examples of this madness I'm talking about.)

Pros:
- I could make extra money off it (which, in turn, would go to support my fabric habit).
- My creations would go to people who love and play with dolls, which would make me very happy.
- I'd be encouraging brainy habits in kids, like reading (one of my T-shirt ideas is an iron-on that says, "Don't you wish your girlfriends were SMART like me?"  Better than the Pussycat Dolls, no?)
- I could make unisex doll outfits, which means boy dolls could get some love too.
- I'd be getting more experience in sewing clothes and in creating my own patterns, both of which are wonderful skills to have.
- Come on, in what universe is The Doll Of Cthulhu not awesome?

Cons:
- I plan to start working on my Ed.D. this fall, so I'll have less time to work on these.
- A lot of my work is based on patterns made by Liberty Jane Clothing, so I'd have to go through the process of becoming an affiliate to be able to sell about 90% of the ideas I have (including most of the non-costume outfits).
- Some of the ideas I have are based on copyrighted material.  I'd have to figure out how to get official permission to make and sell that stuff--I doubt Viacom and Wizards of the Coast would be too happy with some of my ideas otherwise, even if they do amount to "cheap advertising."

So, what do you guys think?  Is this a good idea, or a bad one?
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: Poll: Should I sell homemade doll clothes on Etsy?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 11:07:34 am »
Needs more poll.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)