Author Topic: Rand Paul Tries To Sneak "Personhood" Amendment...  (Read 4194 times)

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
Rand Paul Tries To Sneak "Personhood" Amendment...
« on: June 29, 2012, 03:05:13 pm »
...in a flood insurance bill.

Anti-choice Sen. Rand "Son of Ron" Paul (R-Ky.) tried to pull a fast one on the American people last night.

He filed a "personhood" amendment to a bill reauthorizing the National Flood Insurance Program.

Really?

Really?

Though I quite liked Reid's reply:

"I'm told last night that one of our Republican senators wants to offer an amendment — listen to this one — wants to offer an amendment on when life begins," Reid said. "There will not be a vote on that on flood insurance. We'll either do flood insurance with amendments that deal with flood insurance, or we won't do it, we'll have an extension.
"I don't understand what this is all about," Reid added. "But I want everyone to know: This flood insurance is extremely important. The big pushers of this bill are Republicans senators, veteran Republican senators.

"They better work on their side of the aisle, because I am not going to put up with that," he concluded. "If the Republicans won't stand up to that, to the person who's going to that, I'm not going to."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Rand Paul Tries To Sneak "Personhood" Amendment...
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 11:46:24 am »
It's...it's amazing how he thought this would be a good idea.  I'm glad Reid found his balls though.

Ironbite-and not let that type of shit pass.

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 12:39:45 pm »
And yet prolifers claims we're morally bankrupt.  ::)
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 01:05:43 pm »
It's...it's amazing how he thought this would be a good idea.

I dunno. I was under the impression that this sort of thing wasn’t all that uncommon, though rarely so blatant.
-A Pen Name

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 02:22:14 pm »
It's...it's amazing how he thought this would be a good idea.

I dunno. I was under the impression that this sort of thing wasn’t all that uncommon, though rarely so blatant.

^This. It happens, but it's usually moving money to a special project, not attempting to eliminate abortion.

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 06:32:27 am »
The part I would love to know is how stunts like these are supposed to work. How does one write a bill so that it includes a person-hood amendment and flood insurance? Wouldn't the scope of the law just be regarding flood insurance? How would any kind of person-hood amendment affect anything outside the scope of just this bill? I admit I am not a legal professional, but I really don't see how it would work.

Then again you have to love the general irony how someone who is pro-life will commit any crime from terrorism, to murder, to this kind of fraud just to push their agenda. I know that to them they honestly believe they are saving lives, but how do they live with themselves knowing that they commit crimes in their quest to supposedly protect lives? Do they see it as a noble sacrifice to commit a "lesser" evil to save all those babies? I guess this really just brings home the mindset of that document "the only moral abortion is my abortion".

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 11:05:00 am »
Uh.......Syl, it's how our legislative process works.  Say you get a bill dealing with...well flood insurance like this one.  Well you take Mr. Paperclip and you attach whatever the fuck you want to the bill to add to it.  It's how bills in this country get massively large and have a ton of what's called pork attached to 'em.  The problem Rand ran into here is that he tried to get something so controversial attached to the bill that people noticed.  Usually people get stuff attached to bills because they're pretty similar.  But often times they're so radically different but still "safe" and won't get you in trouble.  But this...yeah this went beyond that.

Ironbite-hard.

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 11:27:36 am »
This shit happens all the time now I like the dream act but I wouldn't attach it to a bill that had so little republican support in the first place (one of the DADT repeal bills failed because of that)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 12:43:22 pm »
You have to love Ron and Rand Paul, they're all for "liberty" and "freedom" except when it's about a woman's body.

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 12:56:02 pm »
You have to love Ron and Rand Paul, they're all for "liberty" and "freedom" except when it's about a woman's body.

Yup. Government small enough to fit in a bedroom or doctor's office.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2012, 01:49:51 pm »

This is why I don't like the Pauls. For folks who call themselves libertarians, they seem to have this ridiculous devotion to the "rights of the state" instead of the rights of the individual.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

Or a uterus.
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:33 pm »
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why the single-subject rule is a good idea.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »
Uh.......Syl, it's how our legislative process works.  Say you get a bill dealing with...well flood insurance like this one.  Well you take Mr. Paperclip and you attach whatever the fuck you want to the bill to add to it.  It's how bills in this country get massively large and have a ton of what's called pork attached to 'em.  The problem Rand ran into here is that he tried to get something so controversial attached to the bill that people noticed.  Usually people get stuff attached to bills because they're pretty similar.  But often times they're so radically different but still "safe" and won't get you in trouble.  But this...yeah this went beyond that.

Ironbite-hard.

Yeah, there’s no scope control at all. And since the politicians love to take advantage of that, there never will be.
-A Pen Name

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2012, 03:58:34 am »
The more I learn about the American legal and political system, the more grateful I am that I don't live there.

To be honest though, I am surprised there have been so many anti-abortion bills lately. I always thought the republicans and democrats never touched abortion because it always makes a convenient platform every election cycle. If these governors actually stop abortion in their states, what will the run on next time?