Author Topic: "Photographic evidence" of the Loch Ness monster  (Read 5750 times)

shykid

"Photographic evidence" of the Loch Ness monster
« on: August 17, 2012, 08:13:51 pm »
I bring you this headline from the bastion of journalistic excellence that is The Telegraph: "Has the Loch Ness monster finally been caught on camera?"

This seriously snarks itself, but here goes nothing. Okay, so apparently this is the Loch Ness monster:

Or at least what the photographer humbly calls the "best picture ever" of the Loch Ness monster. I'm not even joking:

A monster hunter who has spent 26 years searching for the Loch Ness Monster claims to have taken the "best picture ever" of the beast, after dedicating 60 hours a week to his quest.

It looks like some trash or a dead fish or something to me. I don't understand why this even qualifies as "weird news" unless the "news" is that this guy is actually nuts enough to think that's seriously the Loch Ness monster (much less the "best picture ever" of it). Hell, even that's hardly news for a guy batty enough to have spent 60 hours a week for the past 26 years obsessively hunting Nessie.

Yet this is the best "evidence" he could come up with, and his ship is even equipped with sonar:

Mr Edwards his vessel's sonar to make a contact but to no avail. "I hung around for a good half-an-hour and used the deep scanning sonar to try and pick it up, but I'm afraid I had no luck at all."

Mr Edwards took the photo at 9am on 2nd November last year on a compact Samsung digital camera that he always keeps on the boat.

Before releasing it publicly he sent it to the USA for analysis, though he can't reveal further details.

Well, here's some analysis from the USA: I think you're crazy, an attention whore, or both.

...and you "can't reveal further details," eh? How convenient.

"I did not want to mention my sighting until I was sure that I had not photographed a log or something inanimate in the water in the water," he said.

lol, just lol.

I'm skeptical about the Loch Ness monster to say the least, but in fairness, it is certainly the most plausible cryptid I've read about at least. However, that's not exactly saying much, since virtually all of its competition in the "plausibility" department is ridiculous woo-woo like Six-Eyed, One-Winged, Goat-Sucking Demon-Cat-Reptiles from Jupiter. Things like that make Nessie sound downright boring and normal in comparison, really.

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
Re: "Photographic evidence" of the Loch Ness monster
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2012, 10:06:28 pm »
Fools. That's clearly Bigfoot.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2012, 10:35:01 pm »
Looks like a capsized boat
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2012, 10:55:43 pm »
They're not even trying anymore...

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2012, 12:10:08 am »
They're not even trying anymore...

They were trying to begin with?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2012, 07:40:08 am »
I saw the same story in a Finnish newspaper.

Although that version had poor translation, misunderstanding or some additional research because it specifically said that the photo had been verified by the monster experts of the US military.

Which seemed a bit odd because if that was true then you would think that the headline would be:

"This just in: Loch Ness monster found, also HOLY SHIT! US military has 'monster experts'!"
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

shykid

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2012, 04:33:05 pm »

Although that version had poor translation, misunderstanding or some additional research because it specifically said that the photo had been verified by the monster experts of the US military.

Which seemed a bit odd because if that was true then you would think that the headline would be:

"This just in: Loch Ness monster found, also HOLY SHIT! US military has 'monster experts'!"

...monster experts? Wait, we have those?

If that were actually true, the US military just got either 3 times cooler or 3 times stupider, I can't decide.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2012, 04:58:47 pm »

...monster experts? Wait, we have those?

If that were actually true, the US military just got either 3 times cooler or 3 times stupider, I can't decide.

3 times Schrondingerer
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist

• The Very Punny Punisher and Owner of the Most Glorious Chest
  • The Beast
  • And I fired two warning shots... into his head.
    • Tumblr Image Blog
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2012, 10:26:13 pm »
No, definitely 3x stupider.
"Je me presse de rire de tout, de peur d'être obligé d'en pleurer."

My Blog (Sometimes NSFW)

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2012, 10:36:06 pm »
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast

shykid

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2012, 08:35:50 am »
lmfao, VS. +1 for you, good sir.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2012, 08:47:09 am »
No, definitely 3x stupider.
That's what you say now but how will you feel when a Sasquatch tries to eat your family? I bet you'll be glad that US military spent millions of dollars in anti-sasquatch weapons and tactics.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2012, 03:52:17 pm »
When I was little I always wanted the Loch Ness Monster and other cryptids to exist, just because it would be so fucking cool if they did.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 08:36:47 pm »
It is clearly a giant TURD - and the only thing large enough to produce such an enormous Brown Wobbler is the Loch Ness monster. Proof positive!
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.