Author Topic: Man executes teenagers in self defense  (Read 5710 times)

Distind

Man executes teenagers in self defense
« on: November 27, 2012, 08:38:23 am »
http://news.yahoo.com/minn-man-says-fired-more-shots-needed-183741818.html
A Minnesota homeowner who shot two unarmed teenagers in the midst of an apparent Thanksgiving Day break-in told authorities he feared they had a weapon, but acknowledged firing "more shots than I needed to" and appeared to take pride in "a good clean finishing shot" for one teen, according to investigators.

And this little gem:
In the complaint, Smith said he was in his basement when he heard a window breaking upstairs, followed by footsteps that eventually approached the basement stairwell. Smith said he fired when Brady came into view from the waist down.

After the teen fell down the stairs, Smith said he shot him in the face as he lay on the floor.

"I want him dead," the complaint quoted Smith telling an investigator.

Smith said he dragged Brady's body into his basement workshop, then sat down on his chair. After a few minutes, Kifer began coming down the stairs and he shot her as soon as her hips appeared, he said.

After shooting her with both the Mini 14 and the .22-caliber revolver, he dragged her next to Brady. With her still gasping for air, he fired a shot under her chin "up into the cranium," the complaint says.

"Smith described it as 'a good clean finishing shot,'" according to the complaint.

Now, I'm not the biggest fan of guns. I try to allow for some level of self defense considerations. But self defense doesn't involve shooting a wounded person laying prone in the face. Nor does it involving executing a person who's wounded to the point to struggling for fucking breath. So yeah, if anyone wanted to know why there are people who don't think anyone should have guns, well, reference this asshole. He's handily subverted the one reason I could support the owning of them.

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
Re: Man executes teenagers in self defense
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 08:44:33 am »
Oh fuck. Don't read the comments.

EDIT: Is Yahoo! secretly some sort of conservative haven?
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Distind

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 08:48:53 am »
Oh fuck. Don't read the comments.

EDIT: Is Yahoo! secretly some sort of conservative haven?
No, just S class douche bags. It doesn't really matter what kind of them.

Saturn500

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 08:49:05 am »
The sensible comments have low ratings...

WHY DID I LOOK?!

Offline FirsthandTuna

• Pope
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 08:50:30 am »
The sensible comments have low ratings...

WHY DID I LOOK?!

I warned you.
"Fraudulent ONEness of religious academia has retarded your opposite rationale brain to a half brain slave." - The Wisest Man Who Ever Lived

Offline Material Defender

• Food Scientist in Space
  • The Beast
  • Pilot of the Pyro-GX
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 09:42:09 am »
I'm still perfectly for gun ownership. Anecdotal evidence against the piles of evidence on the otherside a shift in position does not make.

This guy is a nutjob. I'm pretty sure if he had a sword or knife, he would have just as or more brutal. The kids would have suffered more. This guy was just some brutal asshole waiting for his chance to get away with something.
The material needs a defender more than the spiritual. If there is a higher power, it can defend itself from the material. Thus denotes 'higher power'.

"Not to know is bad. Not to want to know is worse. Not to hope is unthinkable. Not to care is unforgivable." -Nigerian Saying

Offline ScrappyB

• Bishop
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 11:20:21 am »
People have the right to defend themselves if they feel they're in danger, but what kind of loon shoots two people execution style after they've been incapacitated and then waits until the next day with the bodies in the basement before informing the police?
"All national institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions set up to terrify and enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit." - Thomas Paine

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 02:52:34 pm »
Yeah, self defense ended when they were lying on the ground and clearly no longer a threat.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012, 03:24:01 pm »
Did the guy go beyond reasonable self-defense?  Yeah, most likely.

Do I feel sorry for the kids who got killed?  No.  They shouldn't have been breaking into the guy's house in the first place.

Yes, this guy broke the law, and should be punished for it.  But there's a moral to this story:  don't go breaking into people's houses, because you never know if you're going to meet the neighborhood psycho.  Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes the bear gets you.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline RinellaWasHere

• Man Without Pants
  • The Beast
  • The Scottish Storyteller
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012, 03:26:09 pm »
On one hand, they did break into his house, and his state laws may say he had a right to fire on them. They aren't blameless.

But finishing them off when they were no threat at all, and bragging about how clean it was? That's... messed up.

The bear got them, and was also a goddamn lunatic.
Oh, you take the high road, and I'll take the low road...

My mother did not CHOOSE life. She planned for it.

Is that weird monkey-creature-looking-thing supposed to be a BLACK MAN?

It's Bi-Curious George, well known supporter of the gay agenda.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012, 03:42:54 pm »
He has the right to shoot, however once the person is on the ground bleeding and shot them again, he can no longer claim self defense.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:46:40 pm by thejebusfire »

Offline Hades

• Balsiest Motherfucker Present
  • The Beast
  • This is a ride, not a fight
    • Fruits of Apathy
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:47 pm »
Some people are itching for an excuse. He got his. I really hope he doesn't just get a slap on the wrist.
22:22 <SugarFreeJazz> the time for hats is now

"I don't know what it is, but nothing makes me hard like the thought of Megan Fox without any skin." - Existentialist Goofy

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012, 04:12:09 pm »
He has the right to shoot, however once the person is on the ground bleeding and shot them again, he can no longer claim self defense.

Well, that's where he crossed the thin line between "legitimate self-defense" and "street justice"-style vigilantism.  And while I can't explicitly condone the latter, I certainly won't be shedding any tears for the victims.

--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012, 04:15:54 pm »
Do I feel sorry for them?

Actually, yes.  They were criminals and should've gone to jail for their actions.

...But I hardly doubt burglary is good cause for any sort of dehumanization.

I hope this guy goes to jail for a long time.  I doubt it'll happen, though.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2012, 04:22:24 pm »
Do I feel sorry for them?

Actually, yes.  They were criminals and should've gone to jail for their actions.

...But I hardly doubt burglary is good cause for any sort of dehumanization.

Yeah, they should have gone to prison, where they would have cost the state of Minnesota ~$30K per year, where the would probably have gotten physically and/or sexually abused, and ended up worse off when they got out than they were initially.

>implying that this is somehow a qualitatively "better" outcome

I hope this guy goes to jail for a long time.  I doubt it'll happen, though.

Well, that depends on whether A) the prosecution can convince a jury to convict him and B) what sort of sentence the judge decides to hand down.

There are no "winners" in a situation like this.  I sure as hell wouldn't want to argue either side of the case.

--Thought Industry, Boil