Author Topic: Slightly over-controlling Baptist preacher, maybe?  (Read 4548 times)

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
Slightly over-controlling Baptist preacher, maybe?
« on: March 17, 2013, 09:48:50 pm »
You can see the list of rules here, from the "stuff fundies like" website.  Topic and quotes stolen from this forum since the pastor's formatting of his pdf file is so lousy that it's too much work to quote and then go and fix the formatting up!

Never enter the room where the deacons are counting money.

The copier is not to be used on Sundays.

Beards and mustaches should not be worn. Do not wear pink or other soft colors. No effeminate apparel will be tolerated.

Tithe weekly.

Every staff member should bring at least one person forward each week for baptism.

Every staff member should call a minimum of three hours a week. Male staff members should definitely consider this a bare minimum.
    b. Every staff member should endeavor to win at least one soul a week. This is especially true of the male staff member.

The pastoral staff should note that you are a liability until you have reached twelve new, tithing families.
Note that he specifies "new, tithing families.

Good luck in Silicon Valley.  Especially once these rules of yours get more publicized and people see what a domineering tool you are.

Edit:  I'm wondering now if that's just a POE, except that place at least does have it's own website with the same pastor that's portrayed in the pdf file. 
« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 09:53:33 pm by the_ignored »

Offline the_ignored

• Bishop
    • Skeptic Friends Network
Re: Slightly over-controlling Baptist preacher, maybe?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 10:11:15 pm »
Perhaps not a Poe as this link to the downloadable student's handbook for that place shows:

Bible study is recognized at NVBS as a fundamental importance. It augments the study of English, history, geography, and science. Without knowledge of Biblical truth, a student cannot be considered educated. The Bible gives direction for this life and is the only hope for the life to come. No other book can so enrich the minds and hearts of men as "the Book of books"

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 10:40:21 pm »
I'm reading through the horrid formatting right now to see what crazy I can pull out for y'all. I've got this one so far.

H. While you are on vacation, do not travel during church service times.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline JohnE

• The Beast
  • Heeeere's JohnE!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 11:53:09 pm »
Beards and mustaches should not be worn. Do not wear pink or other soft colors. No effeminate apparel will be tolerated.
Make up your mind. Should I look manly or not?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 12:20:42 am »
Wait some fundie is trying to set up a tithing church in...Silicon Valley?

Ironbite-yeah good luck.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 01:43:20 am »

Perhaps this person needs to take a good hard look at their deity.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 02:22:37 am »
Yeah, that shirt with a -burning heart? with razorwire?- is a bit girly. Looks like a band shirt.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 02:28:57 am »
Yeah, that shirt with a -burning heart? with razorwire?- is a bit girly. Looks like a band shirt.

Other than the cross on, I'd totally wear a shirt like that. But then I'm a guy who watches My Little Pony.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 02:52:34 am »
Don’t talk a lot about
yourself or, for that matter,
about the college. Istead,
talk a lot about the pastor
and his church. This would
include both in and out of
the pulpit. Have the pastor
tell you how he started the
church, what he did to
cause the church to grow,
how he got ideas for the
paint and the colors and the
ministries and the soul
winning, etc.

Don't talk about yourself. Instead sit there and listen to the pastor rattle on about himself, his ideas, and his accomplishments.

And is the pastor's lack of formating skills the reason why the text is so huge?

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 04:03:52 am »
Never enter the room where the deacons are counting money.

Funny. I thought this was a church, not a temple.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 08:14:47 am »
I get the feeling this pastor doesn't want a church, but a cult.

I mean that in the negative sense of the word.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 03:14:36 pm »
Do not enjoy the company or the food at the church picnic.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 03:34:54 pm »

I don't think I've ever heard the word cult used in a way that has positive connotations.

Offline Itachirumon

• The Buzzing Digital Uke
  • Pope
  • The Highly-Caffinated Borderline Insane Uke
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 04:55:23 pm »
This guy's comin to MY neck of the woods? Get yo ass out of NorCal you psychopath, we don't want you people up there. It's bad enough we have methheads in Bieber and Nubieber 250 miles north of us - the Silicon Valley is one of the few sane places, try not to cock it up.
"Sleep is for the weak
Caffeine is my sacrament
Are those spiders real?"

I do NOT have a dubious relationship to sleep. We had a perfectly ambicable seperation

Ask me about the knife in your back!

When I die, they should process my blood into an energy drink - it'll be called Vampiric, and one dose will cause diabetes... Also, you might see noises.

"No.. can't eat... I'm fucking my catboy"

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 06:14:47 pm »

I don't think I've ever heard the word cult used in a way that has positive connotations.

Not positive, no, but there is a neutral use of the term.

Namely, the size of an organized following.  (Generally used for spirituality.  Religion is also a size qualifier.)
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet