Author Topic: US diplomat: "F*ck the EU"  (Read 1157 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
US diplomat: "F*ck the EU"
« on: February 07, 2014, 03:17:26 am »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbkDGdiIDA" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtbkDGdiIDA</a>
http://news.yahoo.com/top-us-diplomat-europe-caught-swearing-eu-180240316.html;_ylt=AwrTWVWYBvRSBgMAuf3QtDMD/

So basically someone (the original video had russian subtitles so maybe that is a clue. Or misdirection.) leaked a secretly taped conversation between two diplomats from USA where one of them, Victoria Nuland, expresses her opinion on EU. The conversation was about the Ukranian situation (the other person being the US ambassador to Ukraine) and the desire of USA to stop EU from participating or gaining from the negotiations.

Assistant Secretary Nuland has been in contact with her EU counterparts and relations with the EU are stronger than ever,

Well those relations must have been pretty weak earlier if this kind of thing is an improvement. ;)

I am mostly just amused by this scandal, but two things stand out:
a) this is a fun way to use espionage.
b) I haven't heard of any apologies to Russia even though she also accused Russia of trying to sabotage the situation. (Or maybe even the Russians can't really deny that anymore.)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
Re: US diplomat: "F*ck the EU"
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2014, 03:35:55 am »
I'd like to hear what some other countries' ambassadors are saying.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2014, 07:20:06 am »
Uh oh, now the American diplomats have to deal with being spied on!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2014, 09:27:49 am »
Uh oh, now the American diplomats have to deal with being spied on!
I know!
The irony is delicious.

Seriously though, the fact that politician is a victim of espionage is not a groundbreaking news story. The fact that said information is leaked out in the open is quite rare and actually smart, since it's not like that bit of info had any other way to use it. Well maybe blackmail, but that is even more petty and wouldn't offer much since the leverage from this statement is not very much. But by releasing it Nuland got an egg on her face and it caused an uproar.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2014, 11:18:52 am »
I'm guessing Nuland's gonna go on a leave of absence for "health reasons".