Author Topic: Australia has outlawed protests.  (Read 2965 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Australia has outlawed protests.
« on: March 13, 2014, 11:24:34 am »
http://counteract.org.au/applauding-democracy-riot/

So, Australia now has a law to combat that horrible menace to democracy: Peaceful protests.

And just to make sure that even the voting over this matter could not turn into a farce their parliament had all spectators removed from the gallery. Because obviously having the voters actually see how democracy works in action is not acceptable. And it's not even that the spectators had been causing trouble. No loud shouting or throwing of rocks while politicians were removing their rights, but someone did clap his hands when a politician spoke against the law so send in the riot police!

Despicaple, I wish Lighthorseman was here.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: Australia has outlawed protests.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 12:55:15 pm »
Wow.  Welp, that's that for Australia then.

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 01:21:05 pm »
Hey, let's be fair.  This is just Victoria, not all of Australia.

I know that I don't want to be judged by what Texas or Mississippi do, so let's not jump to conclusions about the whole country.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
  • A Little REY of Sunshine!
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 02:46:22 pm »
Boy! I always assumed Australia was fairly sane. Even if it's just one province/county/state/whatever this is STUPID!

What's with all these nice sane countries doing wingnut? Do they like living in a broken suppressed society with a crappy economy?

It's like, "Gee! Unemployment is down, the economy's great, folk's are relaxed & open & our children are safe....Let's trash that!"

Do folks get bored, complacent? Why are so many so stupid not to see the obvious? You'd think the Moderate/Liberal populace would be intelligent enough to spot it a zillion miles away!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 03:25:41 pm »
Do you want to hear the funniest bit?

It is not a ban on ALL protests, instead this law means that if a police officer asks a protester to cease and leave and they refuse to do so they can be fined and placed in jail.

So the law only comes to effect if the police wish to end to protest. And there are nothing in the law that says which protests can be stopped, nothing to say where the acceptable line goes. It is all up to the choice of police.

Gee, I don't see how that could lead to any corruption or discrimination.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:45:03 pm »
Fuck the police anyway, and I am saying this non-jokingly.

Also, Veras, please don't tell me protesting is illegal in Texas because I live in this shithole - which Rick Perry has run down so far to the fucking ground.

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 03:56:08 pm »
Of course, you know some aussies gonna start some shit anyway, this'll certainly backfire on these politicians

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
Re: Victoria has outlawed protests.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 04:16:09 pm »
Fixed your title for you, mate.
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Veras

• The Beast
  • I aim to misbehave
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 05:57:29 pm »
Fuck the police anyway, and I am saying this non-jokingly.

Also, Veras, please don't tell me protesting is illegal in Texas because I live in this shithole - which Rick Perry has run down so far to the fucking ground.

No, I'm not saying that Texas outlawed protesting.  I'm just saying that, to use your words, "that shithole," has done some things for which I do not want to be judged.  Because I'm American, but I live in Indiana, which is a different shithole.  We have our own shit to be judged for.
RIP Tony Benn (1925 - 2014)

"There is no moral difference between a stealth bomber and a suicide bomber. Both kill innocent people for political reasons."

“If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people.”

"I'm not frightened about death. I don't know why, but I just feel that at a certain moment your switch is switched off, and that's it. And you can't do anything about it."

Offline davedan

• Lord Cracker
  • The Beast
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 05:57:49 pm »
Queensland used to have laws like that and they didn't last. Although we used to have Joh Bjelke Pieterson

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 09:39:07 pm »
I don't know about Australia (a nice place even if the nature is trying to kill you) but from this report, I'd imaging Queensland might be Australia's answer to The Deep South.

Canada has Alberta. Japan has the Osaka prefecture. The U.S. has The South & some of the Mid/Southwest. There's usually that one or more regions with the folks in varying states of rube-ness/hickishness.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 10:22:12 pm »
Canada has Alberta. Japan has the Osaka prefecture. The U.S. has The South & some of the Mid/Southwest. There's usually that one or more regions with the folks in varying states of rube-ness/hickishness.

I don't begrudge people for being poor and uneducated. Taking pride in willful ignorance bothers me.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline chad sexington

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2014, 11:52:19 pm »
What a surprise, just in time for March in March  ::)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 12:52:54 am »
Queensland used to have laws like that and they didn't last. Although we used to have Joh Bjelke Pieterson

Now we have laws against people who are members or have ever been members of one of the organisations the government has declared criminal existing together in the same bar.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Barbarella

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 07:22:06 pm »

I don't begrudge people for being poor and uneducated. Taking pride in willful ignorance bothers me.

My thoughts exactly. My laughing at "hicks" is not laughing at "country folk" or the poverty stricken, it's laughing at "Proud To Be Stupid" wingnut people. Plenty of poor country people are nice decent people with good hearts who have no problem with education.