Author Topic: Climate change debate has a clear winner  (Read 1390 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Climate change debate has a clear winner
« on: March 25, 2014, 02:09:01 am »
But it's not the side that you wish it was...

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/mar/22/climate-change-deniers-have-won-global-warming

David Cameron, who once promised that if you voted blue you would go green, now appoints Owen Paterson, a man who is not just ignorant of environmental science but proud of his ignorance, as his environment secretary. George Osborne, who once promised that his Treasury would be "at the heart of this historic fight against climate change", now gives billions in tax concessions to the oil and gas industry, cuts the funds for onshore wind farms and strips the Green Investment Bank of the ability to borrow and lend

Just because 97% of scientific studies support it doesn't mean much when the world in large does not care about that. Politicians and companies do not care about the evidence.

Companies spend fortunes on the politicians to ensure that any regulation that even manages to pass is practically toothless so that they don't have to change their methods. It does not matter how many people believe in climate change or want to do something about it: As long as the people that matter are in the pockets of the companies, there will be no actual reaction to the coming disaster.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Re: Climate change debate has a clear winner
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 08:25:46 am »
I think part of the problem is the fact that anthropogenic climate change is gradual.

Offline Alehksunos

• Transvestite Boo-kin
  • The Beast
  • Gay Witch for Abortion
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 11:35:09 am »
Oh, every time someone says "lol, global warming is a joke", I want to bat them in the head with a nailed bat.

I am not even a citizen of the United Kingdom, but I fucking hate David Cameron.

Offline IanC

• Pope
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:26 pm »
I am not even a citizen of the United Kingdom, but I fucking hate David Cameron.
A large chunk of the country does. Yet we still managed to accidentally vote him in.