Author Topic: Michigan is now a theocracy, or something like that.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Michigan is now a theocracy, or something like that.
« on: December 07, 2014, 05:37:42 am »
http://www.addictinginfo.org/2014/12/06/terrifying-law-turns-michigan-into-theocracy/

And this week, religious tyranny came to Michigan, with House Bill 5958, The Religious Freedom Restoration Act (RFRA). This bill legalizes a Christian extremist’s religious freedom to discriminate, and commit other breaches in law and social mores. The law makes it legal to refuse service, deny employment, housing, and violate other citizens’ rights, any rights, if a theocrat claims it violates their religious freedom and objects on religious grounds.

As if this were not terrifying enough, our worst fears should be reserved for the Orwellian-titled  “conscience clause.”  This clause allows any Christian Fundamentalist working in the healthcare industry to cease a patient’s medical care if they claim their objection is founded on religious beliefs, and  the Healthcare provider would be obliged to send a patient away. This would give legal cover to religious pharmacists to refuse to fill prescriptions if they “think” a person is gay, a woman is a single mother, or the patient is the “wrong religion.”

If you think that last bit was bad, you might want to put down all beverages before reading this:

It would also mean a first responder, whether law enforcement, fire protection, or ambulance personnel can use “religious objections” to refuse to provide service to a person or group they feel violates their religious beliefs.

'Murrica!

Is this constitutional? How could you even get people to vote for a law like that? Anyone with half a brain could see that this is unjust and really, really stupid.

Don't mind me I will just move a few cm farther from you just in case...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

Re: Michigan is now a theocracy, or something like that.
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:39:28 am »
Yeah, the federal government is going to have something to say about that, assuming it actually passes.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 05:50:31 am »
It conflicts with a recent SCOUTUS decision that I'll have to find later.  Also it'll be swiftly dropped once the first Muslim uses it.

Ironbite- the far right doesn't think much

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 06:29:02 am »
Maybe we should take away the Red Wings from them as punishment.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:57:20 am »
This ain't gonna last.

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2014, 10:33:25 pm »
Is this constitutional?

It seems to align pretty neatly with the Hobby Lobby ruling. This is the can of worms we were warned about in the dissenting opinion.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline chitoryu12

• The Beast
  • Tax-Payer Rhino
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 01:04:44 am »
How many times have nutty Republicans tried to pass this so far? Every time, even if it was about to go into effect, it almost immediately got blocked and deleted from the record.
Still can't think of a signature a year later.

Offline I am lizard

• The Beast
    • https://www.instagram.com/p/9SIHifrULJ/
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:10:20 am »
How many times have nutty Republicans tried to pass this so far? Every time, even if it was about to go into effect, it almost immediately got blocked and deleted from the record.
Well, as a certain sub-par wiki would say "Evil only has to win once."

Offline Ironchew

• Official Edgelord
  • The Beast
  • The calm, intellectual Trotsky-like Trotskyist
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 01:12:01 am »
Wait...

The bill hasn't even passed, much less been signed into law. Talk about a misleading-as-fuck thread title.
Consumption is not a politically combative act — refraining from consumption even less so.

Offline Cerim Treascair

• My Love Is Lunar
  • The Beast
  • Get me my arbalest... explosive bolts, please.
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 07:23:57 pm »
Maybe we should take away the Red Wings from them as punishment.

At least Golbez still had honor.
There is light and darkness in the world, to be sure.  However, there's no harm to be had in walking in the shade or shadows.

Formerly Priestling

"I don't give a fuck about race...I'm white, I'm American, but that shit don't matter.  I'm human."