Author Topic: Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest-Reigning British Monarch  (Read 843 times)

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest-Reigning British Monarch
« on: September 09, 2015, 08:29:04 am »
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34177107

The question now is: can she surpass King Sobhuza II of Swaziland, the world's all-time record holder?  He reigned from 1899-1982.

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Queen Elizabeth II Becomes Longest-Reigning British Monarch
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 10:40:07 am »
If she managed that, I would suspect her of having had her 110 year old brain inserted into an android, a la Robo Cop. But, hey, anything to keep Charles from ever wearing the crown is good by me.

ADDENDUM: I found an anecdote about the Queen just now that made my opinion of her go up quite a few notches. Priceless story.

Queen Elizabeth II isn't afraid to show off her driving skills, either. In 1998, she surprised King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia (then still a prince) by driving him around in her country seat of Balmoral.

Former British Ambassador Sherard Cowper-Coles recounted the meeting in the Sunday Times: "As instructed, the crown prince climbed into the front seat of the front Land Rover, with his interpreter in the seat behind. To his surprise, the Queen climbed into the driving seat, turned the ignition and drove off. Women are not — yet — allowed to drive in Saudi Arabia, and Abdullah was not used to being driven by a woman, let alone a queen."

Cowper-Coles continued: "His nervousness only increased as the Queen, an army driver in wartime, accelerated the Land Rover along the narrow Scottish estate roads, talking all the time. Through his interpreter, the crown prince implored the Queen to slow down and concentrate on the road ahead."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/32-incredible-powers-of-queen-elizabeth-ii-you-didnt-know-she-had/ar-AAe6pid?ocid=U147DHP
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 12:26:35 pm by mellenORL »
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.