Author Topic: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet  (Read 274341 times)

Offline mellenORL

• Pedal Pushing Puppy Peon
  • The Beast
Re: Not-Good Things People Say on the Internet
« Reply #390 on: April 09, 2016, 07:58:07 pm »
I'm so proud that I as an old white woman am one of the reigning supreme elites all of a fucking sudden.

Seriously, that is not how stats work in an argument. 2013 was three years ago. The conservitard/manosphere "gotcha!" about 77% being out of date came out the same year. About people in previous years citing the prior BLS publication on the same page which stated 77% when it was published.

Pump another cartridge in, dipshit.
Quote from: Ultimate Chatbot That Totally Passes The Turing Test
I sympathize completely. However, to use against us. Let me ask you a troll. On the one who pulled it. But here's the question: where do I think it might as well have stepped out of all people would cling to a layman.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #391 on: April 09, 2016, 08:03:30 pm »
Yeah, the lack of paid maternity leave is a serious problem.  But I'm still skeptical that the wage gap actually is what it's often claimed to be.  The BLS has shown that measuring by hourly earnings makes the pay gap considerably smaller.
That's still a problem, but considerably less of one than what's frequently claimed.

What it's often claimed to be...by who exactly?

Set up a straw opponent and then say that the pay gap is "considerably smaller" than what whoever, or whatever "often claimed" it was.

You're Australian, so it's understandable that you don't know.  See, a common claim is that women make only 77% of what men make, which is one even the President has repeated:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2014/04/09/president-obamas-persistent-77-cent-claim-on-the-wage-gap-gets-a-new-pinocchio-rating/

Seriously, that is not how stats work in an argument. 2013 was three years ago. The conservitard/manosphere "gotcha!" about 77% being out of date came out the same year. About people in previous years citing the prior BLS publication on the same page which stated 77% when it was published.

I'm not entirely clear on what you mean.  Are you saying the manosphere was attempting to retroactively criticize based on information not available at the time?  Just want to make it clear.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 08:11:42 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #392 on: April 09, 2016, 10:11:30 pm »
Yeah, the lack of paid maternity leave is a serious problem.  But I'm still skeptical that the wage gap actually is what it's often claimed to be.  The BLS has shown that measuring by hourly earnings makes the pay gap considerably smaller.
That's still a problem, but considerably less of one than what's frequently claimed.

What it's often claimed to be...by who exactly?

Set up a straw opponent and then say that the pay gap is "considerably smaller" than what whoever, or whatever "often claimed" it was.

You're Australian, so it's understandable that you don't know.  See, a common claim is that women make only 77% of what men make, which is one even the President has repeated:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fact-checker/wp/2014/04/09/president-obamas-persistent-77-cent-claim-on-the-wage-gap-gets-a-new-pinocchio-rating/
Now that's an interesting notion, numbers have passports now? And there was me thinking that the only number Americans had bagsied was one, also identifying the obscure source of figure as being your flipping commander in chief might have been helpful at the start of the discussion, but I digress.

See, if you had gone to the Washington Post's source you would have read that the president made two similarly worded but quite different claims at two different times and you would have read this:

In his 2012 re-election run, an ad for President Barack Obama claimed "Women (are) paid 77 cents on the dollar for doing the same work as men." That rated Mostly False.

But Obama retooled his words in his 2014 State of the Union address, saying women "still make 77 cents for every dollar a man earns." That rated Mostly True.

See here's the thing, the latter claim that women on average make less than men across the board is true. And that's still a problem, because it's been shown that simply being in an industry with increasing female representation causes the pay to dip. Which kind of sucks for teachers, nurses, waiters and the like whether they're women or men but sucks for women more because more of them are seeing their wages stagnate.

Even Then

« Reply #393 on: April 10, 2016, 07:18:18 pm »
Quote from: LordElthibar again
I can't believe it. There has been attack after attack on our peaceful communities and yet America does nothing about ISIS! NOTHING!!! Obama is weak and has no spine to do anything. And when ISIS attacks America, the liberal scum only hijack the incident for their freaking gun control policies! More harassment and stupidity from these ill educated maggots is growing on my nerves!

They falsely claim that Christianity hindered human development when in fact the Christian world was actually more developed than the pagan world that was seeking to destroy them. Not only that but the atheists lack the honor and courage to admit that Hitler was one of them and yet refuse to take responsibility and blame Hitler on Christianity! Hitler's private talks were about eliminating Hitler's foes including Christianity. Plus there is a reason he shut down religious institutions all over Germany and claimed that the Jews were near apes. Does that sound like Christianity? No, it's the theory of evolution which has given birth to the ideals of racial dominance and massacre of tens of thousands and even threatens to tear our communities apart today as our educational system declines as God is kicked out!

Christianity brought about the scientific revolution, the renaissance eras, as well as the abolition of slavery! What good has any of these secular ideals done? If we don't stand for something true and take a stand of brute force against ISIS, they will overrun us! These movements against us and the foundation of our civilizations are a catastrophe! We must act now!

The West used to be the center of the world, now these policies and scrambling for power from both Christaphobic secularists and self-righteous religious bigots have turned our countries into yet another political bower grabbing hell hole like Rome! When are we going to wake up?

- the USA performs drone strikes in the Middle East constantly

- the conservatives hijack terrorist attacks for their Islamophobic policies

- the Arabs gave us fucking numbers, cockend

- modern atheists aren't responsible for Hitler the same way modern Christians aren't for the Inquisition

- either your God is omnipotent, therefore he can't be kicked out of anything, or your god is weaksauce and can't actually do anything worth worship

- yeah, because no religion has had racism as a doctrine, what an insipid notion

- Christianity also brought us the Inquisition, institutional homophobia and the protection of child molesters, you ain't shit

- the West was never the center of the world you conceited fuckbag

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #394 on: April 10, 2016, 09:27:00 pm »
Yeah, the centre of the world was usually either Asia or somewhere near the Fertile Crescent, until relatively recently.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #395 on: April 10, 2016, 09:33:52 pm »
Christians fought both sides of the war over slavery.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2016, 12:05:41 am »
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2016, 12:12:19 am »
except... all of those are correct.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2016, 12:19:37 am »

I had to go and check if I had mixed up the terms again, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction nope. My point was that the comments are making fun of a transperson. ...Also, sperm does not define "your child" unless you would never consider an adopted child or a step-child to be your own child.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2016, 12:25:13 am »

I had to go and check if I had mixed up the terms again, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_and_gender_distinction nope. My point was that the comments are making fun of a transperson. ...Also, sperm does not define "your child" unless you would never consider an adopted child or a step-child to be your own child.

Knowing that dipshit, they probably don't.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline lord gibbon

• That Weird Guy in the Corner
  • The Beast
  • living trivia machine
« Reply #400 on: April 11, 2016, 12:29:47 am »
Yeah, I meant that all the "stupid" examples are perfectly legitimate to say. Sorry if I wasn't clear.
Excuse me, sir, do you have a minute to talk about your lord and savior, Hannibal Barca?

Quote from: Seneca
Religion is regarded by the common man as true, by the wise man as false, and by the powerful man as useful
Yeah, if the pagans are so smart, why did Jesus invade Pagan-land on the back of a dragon and kill them all!

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #401 on: April 11, 2016, 01:55:48 pm »
- Christianity also brought us the Inquisition, institutional homophobia and the protection of child molesters

Sounds horrible.  I'm just so glad there's a delightful progressive social movement like Islam we can turn to in order to save us from such monstrous acts...

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #402 on: April 11, 2016, 02:19:22 pm »
Or you just don't have to be religious in order to lead a fulfilling life.

Ironbite-just a thought.

Offline TheContrarian

• Pope
  • Inter faeces et urinam nascimur
« Reply #403 on: April 11, 2016, 02:27:44 pm »
Yeah but when someone says "I'm not religious" what they actually mean is "I FUCKING HATE MUSLIMS BURN THEM ALL 14/88!!!one!".

"What is freedom of expression? Without the freedom to offend, it ceases to exist."

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
« Reply #404 on: April 11, 2016, 05:48:47 pm »
Yeah but when someone says "I'm not religious" what they actually mean is "I FUCKING HATE MUSLIMS BURN THEM ALL 14/88!!!one!".
I think this is Conty getting his categories muddled up again.

Feminists, Nazis, atheists, Australians, progressives and Muslims are different things  Contrarian.

They aren't all some hideous indistinguishable blob come to force you to let darkies and ladies into your club and make you pay your telly licence.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 11:56:33 pm by Tolpuddle Martyr »