Author Topic: The two Trump-twitter personalities  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
The two Trump-twitter personalities
« on: August 12, 2016, 02:16:24 am »
Here is some interesting study on the Tweets from Donald Trump: http://varianceexplained.org/r/trump-tweets/

TL;DR Some of his posts come from an iPhone, some from Android and a careful study reveals that the Tweets from these two sources are very different. The iPhone source makes Tweets that seem appropriate for a presidential candidate while the racist/angry stuff comes from the Android. GUESS WHICH PHONE TRUMP IS KNOWN TO USE? Yeah, it looks like his staff makes the iPhone tweets and the REAL Donald Trump is responsible for the horrible racist comments on his Twitter account.

When Trump wishes the Olympic team good luck, he’s tweeting from his iPhone. When he’s insulting a rival, he’s usually tweeting from an Android. Is this an artifact showing which tweets are Trump’s own and which are by some handler?

Others have explored Trump’s timeline and noticed this tends to hold up- and Trump himself does indeed tweet from a Samsung Galaxy. But how could we examine it quantitatively? I’ve been writing about text mining and sentiment analysis recently, particularly during my development of the tidytext R package with Julia Silge, and this is a great opportunity to apply it again.

My analysis, shown below, concludes that the Android and iPhone tweets are clearly from different people, posting during different times of day and using hashtags, links, and retweets in distinct ways. What’s more, we can see that the Android tweets are angrier and more negative, while the iPhone tweets tend to be benign announcements and pictures. Overall I’d agree with @tvaziri’s analysis: this lets us tell the difference between the campaign’s tweets (iPhone) and Trump’s own (Android).

The Android user, for example, isn't very good at retweeting.

It's not like I'm surprised by this article, but it is still kinda disappointing.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
Re: The two Trump-twitter personalities
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 08:28:27 am »
This is not surprising.  Like this is just typical of Trump.  Not sure why they haven't taken away his Android yet.

Ironbite-then again he's proven to be uncontrollable so far.

pyro

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 02:46:51 pm »
I don't like that Twitter makes the source device used to make a tweet visible. It's nobodies business but mine whether I tweet from my Android phone or my desktop browser (I don't own an iPhone, nor do I have staffers tweeting for me). I guess Twitter has good reason to care what device I'm using, so that if something goes wrong they can trace why, but that's a compromise: ideally, even Twitter's server team really shouldn't know that.

It's snafus like this, unfortunately, that will lead to them hiding that info, instead of privacy concerns about everyday users.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 04:14:01 am »
New expression: X drinks more than the PR guy for the Trump campaign.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR