Author Topic: Violence Against Men in Popular Culture  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
Re: Violence Against Men in Popular Culture
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 08:12:49 pm »
If you're going to just reword everything...

Hey, you could have specified the context in the first place, then we wouldn't be here right now, quibbling over the details.

Either way, the point is established, I would be cautious about using that example.

I'm not the OP. >_>

"Either way, the point is established, [that being that] I would be cautious about using that example."

The paper focused on domestic violence, so I am looking for examples of female-on-male violence where the people involves are involved in a romantic relationship. (Or, in the case of Wedding Crashers mentioned above, get into a romantic relationship.) Stan and Dorothy from Golden Girls is a good example. Wedding Crashers is another one. I don't follow anime, but from another comment, I get the impression many of the examples given would not work because the people involved are not romantically involved.

To go over my examples:

Yusuke & Kayko don't admit it, but they're basically dating, & they finally admit what everyone already knew at the end of the series.
Ed & Winry also get together at the end of the series, in fact Ed makes the first move.
Inuyasha & Kagome, I believe, get together at the end.
Dragonball Z, Chi-Chi & Goku are married, Hell, that might've been when the abuse started, I don't remember Dragonball too well.
Naruto & Sakura are not in a relationship, though not for Naruto's lack of trying.
Bleach is the exception of the things I listed. Despite what shippers might tell you, no romance is being implied yet.

The common thread here is that they get together at the end.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 10:20:20 am »
Also, if we really want to narrow it down to people who are in a committed relationship then most anime examples do not fit.

InuYasha still counts.  The title character went on to marry Ms. "Sit"-Happy at the end of the last episode.

Unless you believe that directly physically striking the person is what counts.  Personally, I consider repeated use of a submission spell under conditions that:

- Cause the collapse of a small bridge, with the victim on it;

- Drive the victim's face into the ground;

- Frequently humiliates the victim in front of all your mutual friends and acquaintances

to be a form of abuse.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2012, 01:52:54 pm »
Honestly, what bugged me is that she'd use it over the tiniest of irritations. One of the movies* makes her look even worse, because she gives him the impression that she's going to give him something for literally saving her ass from Hell, when what she's really doing is putting him under another one of those spells. He didn't even do anything! And what's she do when he complains? "Sit!"

*=I know, I know, this is a case of Doomed By Canon. Still.

All the same, I still don't entirely get the argument. Is it "domestic abuse against men is seen as funny in popular media"?

Offline Kit Walker

• Pope
  • Grand Master Brain Wizard*
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2012, 03:11:02 pm »
All the same, I still don't entirely get the argument. Is it "domestic abuse against men is seen as funny in popular media"?

I would imagine that it's "domestic violence and emotional abuse against men is seen as acceptable in popular culture". Which it is.
"Well believe me, Mike, I calculated the odds of this succeeding versus the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid... and I went ahead anyway." - Crow T. Robot

*Actual title from the Universal Life Church Monastery, the outfit that ordained me as a wedding officiant.

Offline damianblack

• Neonate
  • That's metal....
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2012, 04:02:11 pm »
i also say go for the love hina example. truly one of the most abhorrent examples of domestic abuse ever put to animation.

also a pair of rumiko takahashi examples (she may be a good mangaka, but she seems to revel in the abuse of men by women.)

Uresei Yatsura- Alien princess lum, who possesses superhuman physical abilities, constantly abuses her declared "beloved" ataru with little provication, even going so far as electicuting him with high voltage electricity.

and an  example damn near if not more odious than love hina.
Ranma 1/2
it's hard to put into words just how much of an abusive monster akane tendo is to her fiancee ranma saotome, more often than not for absolutely no reason at all. (arranged marriages suck, but that does not excuse any of the abuse) 
"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer."-Bruce Lee

Offline BrandonL337

• Tyrannical Pervert Judge (MWAHAHAHA)
  • Apprentice
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2012, 09:06:22 pm »
In terms of anime, you could also look at MM! although that might not be an example as the guy getting beat on is a masochist and is begging for more the whole time, still something to look into.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/MM?from=Main.MM

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2012, 10:44:31 pm »
Also, if we really want to narrow it down to people who are in a committed relationship then most anime examples do not fit.

InuYasha still counts.  The title character went on to marry Ms. "Sit"-Happy at the end of the last episode.
er... I don't get what you're trying to say here. I was only saying it because it was said that they had to be living together somehow for it to be DV.

Thus, my Stan and Dorothy fits according to Erictheblue.

There's also King of Queens for verbal/physical. Roseanne for verbal/physical...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2012, 10:46:30 pm by Shane for Wax »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!