Author Topic: Video Game Thread 2.0  (Read 1463246 times)

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
Re: Video Game Thread 2.0
« Reply #7155 on: April 07, 2018, 08:25:52 pm »
Aah, I found a way around the, shall we say, non-overpowered loot in Nox's story mode.  The map editor can't seem to do story maps (I get an exception when I save), but I can alter multiplayer maps.  So, alter the kit there to my liking, and just temporarily replace the copy of the story map in my save with that wee beauty, grab my crap, and restore the actual story map.  I can finally tool around with such wondrous items as "of the Wind of the Wind Armoured Boots of the Wind and the Wind" once more!
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7156 on: April 21, 2018, 06:07:41 am »
I've gotten back into FTL: Faster Than Light recently. Holy fuck, is fire barrels of fun. Set the enemy ship ablaze and watch the resulting inferno slowly destroy its systems and overwhelm the crew until they eventually burn/suffocate. I can't believe I never tried that before back in the day.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7157 on: April 21, 2018, 08:41:59 am »
Fire-beam really is a sadistic and fun weapon. Have some rapid firing weapons (preferably Ion) to take down the shields and then start setting stuff on fire. For a risky maneuver teleport Rock crew onto the ship.

The Bio-beam that one of the Slug ships starts with is similar but faster. Take down the med-bay and you can wipe out most crews (as long as the shield is down for a moment) quickly.

Then there's the Vulcan... It is the single most destructive weapon in the game. A gatling gun that slowly picks up firing speed. If you can survive half a minute in the fight without getting the weapon disabled it will chew through any shields the enemies might have and though the tougher opponents require a secondary weapon (like a beam-drone or something)

Lots of viable playstyles in the game though, that's a good thing as none of the ships are worthless though some (like the Stealth ships) require skills AND luck to get upgrades since the starting form is not that good. Basically, Magikarp thingy going on there.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7158 on: April 21, 2018, 10:26:47 am »
Also mind control. I ended up using that alongside the aforementioned ion blaster plus fire beam combo and it was rather effective to say the least. by the end, I was headcanoning the rebel fleet tracking me by following the trail of burned out hulks.

Still got fucked up by the flagship, though. Holy shit, it's so much worse than it was in vanilla FTL.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:35:39 am by Art Vandelay »

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7159 on: April 25, 2018, 09:35:29 pm »
Has anyone else played Jalopy lately? I have to say, driving a shitbox around eastern Europe looking for random boxes of cigarettes and sausages by the side of the road is a lot more enjoyable than one would envision.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:09:43 pm by Art Vandelay »

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #7160 on: April 27, 2018, 07:32:09 pm »
Not personally, but I watched a stream of it, and it looks like a damned good time. except the half hour dude spent getting his car unstuck from a fence. Though, him actually accomplishing it was a worthy payoff
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7161 on: May 06, 2018, 10:28:06 pm »
Okay, I think I just got extremely lucky. So, I'm playing through Pokemon Soul Silver right now. I just finished the burned out tower and set the legendary dogs loose. Well, not only did I stumble across Raikou completely by accident when I wasn't even trying to hunt them down, but I immediately caught it in a quick ball, which unless I'm misunderstanding how catch rates work (which I almost certainly am, let's be honest) is a 1.6% chance.

My brand new puppy is now named Lucky Cunt in honour of the occasion.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7162 on: May 07, 2018, 04:30:45 pm »
In Gen IV, Quick Balls had a 4x catch rate modifier when used on the first turn of battle. They're surprisingly effective on Legendary Pokemon (and have caused me quite a few anti-climactic battles). So, while I don't know the exact chance, I'm fairly certain it's higher than 1.6%.
Who needs a signature?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7163 on: May 07, 2018, 07:21:40 pm »
The base catch rate is supposed to be 0.4%. 1.6% is after accounting for the x4 multiplier.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7164 on: May 07, 2018, 07:54:34 pm »
Bulbapedia is down so I can't look up the formula but this calculator says 1.6% is about right.
Σא

Art Vandelay

« Reply #7165 on: May 08, 2018, 02:46:10 am »
I feel very vindicated.

Offline Cloud3514

• The Beast
  • 404: Personal text not found.
« Reply #7166 on: May 09, 2018, 01:42:01 am »
Curses!
Who needs a signature?

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7167 on: May 09, 2018, 07:39:32 am »
Blizzard is selling a skin for a character in Overwatch and giving the profits to charity.

...Naturally GAMERS are furious and consider this to be the worst crime that a corporation can commit: supporting feminism.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Lana Reverse

• The Beast
« Reply #7168 on: May 09, 2018, 09:45:54 am »
Blizzard is selling a skin for a character in Overwatch and giving the profits to charity.

...Naturally GAMERS are furious and consider this to be the worst crime that a corporation can commit: supporting feminism.

What charity are they supporting? And do you have a link?
Beware those who hate the rich more than they love the poor.

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7169 on: May 09, 2018, 11:17:22 am »
Breast Cancer Research Foundation.

https://playoverwatch.com/en-us/blog/21758132