Author Topic: Mississippi church refuse to marry black couple  (Read 2442 times)

Offline gyeonghwa

• Uppity and Proud of It
  • The Beast
  • That angry queer your tone trolls warned you about
    • Queer & Khmer
Mississippi church refuse to marry black couple
« on: July 30, 2012, 04:09:47 pm »
http://news.yahoo.com/mississppi-church-refuses-marry-black-couple-205218322--abc-news-topstories.html

Or when "post-racism" meets Christian love:

They had booked their wedding far in advance. The invitations had been sent, the programs printed. But one day before Charles and Te’Andrea Wilson were to be married at the Mississippi church they frequented, they said a pastor told them they would have to find another venue — because they were black.

There has never been a black wedding at the First Baptist Church in Crystal Springs, Miss., since its founding in 1883. According to Pastor Stan Weatherford, some church members objected so strongly to breaking that precedent, they threatened to oust him from his pastorship.

Rather than risk his job, Weatherford, who is white, said he decided to marry the pair at a black church down the road.

"My 9-year-old was going to the church with us. How would you say to your 9-year-old daughter, 'We cannot get married here because, guess what sweetie, we're black,'" Charles Wilson told ABC's affiliate WAPT-TV.
That may be the single gayest thing I have ever read on this board. Or the old one. ;)

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
Re: Mississippi church refuse to marry black couple
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 04:26:31 pm »
*Facepalms*

Good lord, people.

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2012, 07:20:01 pm »
I'm not actually going to rag on the priest. Because he was willing to marry them. It's the people in his church who are assholes.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 07:23:48 pm »
My problem with the pastor is that he listened to a minority of his church members on this issue, and put his position on higher priority than his morals.

The right thing to do would've been to ignore the threats and go ahead with it.  The other church members who supported him would have done what they could to prevent him being ousted.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
My problem with the pastor is that he listened to a minority of his church members on this issue, and put his position on higher priority than his morals.

The right thing to do would've been to ignore the threats and go ahead with it.  The other church members who supported him would have done what they could to prevent him being ousted.

I'm not saying he did the right thing. He's a wuss. But he's not a racist.
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2012, 08:51:26 pm »

I'm not saying he did the right thing. He's a wuss. But he's not a racist.

Did anyone say he was, yet?
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet