Author Topic: France threatens to recognize Palestine  (Read 22356 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
France threatens to recognize Palestine
« on: January 30, 2016, 03:07:45 am »
The threat was made that if Israel and Palestine do not accomplish anything in their peace negotiations France will recognize Palestine.

https://www.jerusalemonline.com/news/world-news/the-israeli-connection/france-gives-israel-an-ultimatum-18819

Israelis are already protesting this statement:
“The French Foreign Minister stated in advance that if his initiative leads to a dead end, France will recognize a Palestinian state. This statement gives the Palestinians an incentive for reaching a deadlock. This is not the way to conduct a negotiation and achieve peace.”

Meanwhile people are (once again) making "surrender monkey" jokes on Facebook and insulting the French in any way they can think of. Personally I think that even if this is a solution that is forced on people it's not like there haven't been several decades of time to make a peaceful solution without force. ...And it's not like Israel was created without force either.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Tolpuddle Martyr

• The Beast
  • Have you got thumbs? SHOW ME YOUR FUCKING THUMBS!
Re: France threatens to recognize Palestine
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2016, 04:04:53 am »
What's the bet those jokes are being made by the some of the same people who were all about France after the Paris attacks?

Art Vandelay

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 04:30:26 am »
What's the bet those jokes are being made by the some of the same people who were all about France after the Paris attacks?
I was thinking the same.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 05:02:51 am »
A very brave and necessary move by Paris. Good for them.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Even Then

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 05:15:21 am »
I know I'm ignorant of politics and that there's a lot more to the situation than this, but on its face this situation is just absurd. "Israel, if you don't give us what we want, we'll... announce that we think this region should be able to govern itself independently at you!"

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 05:27:59 am »
I know I'm ignorant of politics and that there's a lot more to the situation than this, but on its face this situation is just absurd. "Israel, if you don't give us what we want, we'll... announce that we think this region should be able to govern itself independently at you!"

International recognition is important to the legitimacy of a nation state. It really is a big deal, and I for one couldn't support it more.
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Even Then

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2016, 05:30:25 am »
I'm aware it's important, and I support it too. But I think there's some humour to the nature of the situation.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2016, 06:22:40 pm »
I'm with Even Then on this.  The bitching that Israel is doing over this is just cartoonishly stupid.

Ironbite-if France does this, does that mean Israel is gonna stomp up to it's room, slam the door, and scream into it's pillow?

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2016, 07:58:51 pm »
God, I hope so.  Somebody needs to put them in their fucking place.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2016, 08:20:20 pm »
To be fair, that's a legitimate concern.  Though my response would be to find some kind of bargaining chip to disincentivize the Palestinians from stonewalling.

On the other hand, I think if the PLO is recognized as Palestine's legitimate government, it might undermine Hamas's authority.

Offline Eiki-mun

• der Löwe aus Mitternacht
  • The Beast
  • On the fields of Breitenfeld.
    • Main Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2016, 08:21:38 pm »
To be fair, that's a legitimate concern.  Though my response would be to find some kind of bargaining chip to disincentivize the Palestinians from stonewalling.

On the other hand, I think if the PLO is recognized as Palestine's legitimate government, it might undermine Hamas's authority.

Er... what's a legitimate concern? That France might recognize a Palestinian state? Because I'd say that's less a "concern" and more "why didn't you do this sooner".
There is no plague more evil and vile to watch spread than the plague that is the Von Habsburg dynasty.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2016, 08:24:29 pm »

Er... what's a legitimate concern? That France might recognize a Palestinian state? Because I'd say that's less a "concern" and more "why didn't you do this sooner".

No, that it might incentivize the Palestinians to force a deadlock.  That's not to say the reaction is justified, of course.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2016, 09:01:59 pm »
.......oy.

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 12:18:29 am »

Perhaps bombing them? Israel has endless bargaining chips. Palestine has none. That's why the war continues, and no other reason.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2016, 12:23:00 am »

Perhaps bombing them? Israel has endless bargaining chips. Palestine has none. That's why the war continues, and no other reason.

That's a ridiculously one-sided view, almost bordering on self-parody.