Author Topic: Liberal vs Conservative Facebook  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Liberal vs Conservative Facebook
« on: May 20, 2016, 04:01:23 am »
Link: http://graphics.wsj.com/blue-feed-red-feed/

Wall Street Journal has made a thingy that shows us how Liberals and Conservatives are talking about politics and politicians in USA. The main point of this exercise is to show the posts side-by-side to give the reader a nice comparison on how people with different political views talk about the same issues.

Note that the articles and posts in question might in fact from a neutral source but they are here if they are circulated mainly by one group. (Like story about Target and the new bathroom policy being circulated by people opposing it.)

Someone already noted that the Conservative feed about Sanders is much less toxic than the one on Clinton. (In fact the Sanders feed takes several shots at Clinton and it seems that Conservatives prefer Sanders, if not for his policies then because at least he isn't Hillary Clinton...)
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Souriquois

• Apprentice
  • Laurentian Elite
    • Playing the Race Card
Re: Liberal vs Conservative Facebook
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 02:57:41 pm »
Conservatives probably have less vitriol towards Bernie Sanders than Hillary Clinton because Hillary is a woman. Conservatives and liberals seem to have hostility towards Clinton.
Let us overthrow the totems, break the taboos. Or better, let us consider them cancelled. Coldly, let us be intelligent. - Pierre Elliott Trudeau

If you're not uncomfortable, you're not growing - Thomas J. Watson

The best defense against bullshit is vigilance, so if you smell something say something - Jon Stewart

pyro

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 11:09:06 am »
That and Sanders isn't expected to actually be nominated.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 11:17:59 am »
Conservatives probably have less vitriol towards Bernie Sanders than Hillary Clinton because Hillary is a woman. Conservatives and liberals seem to have hostility towards Clinton.

Misogyny probably plays a role, but I'd say it's more a combination of "Clintipathy" and the hatred of First Ladies who are viewed as trying to wield power through their husbands.

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 11:36:40 am »
The latter seems like an aspect of misogyny though?

Like. A First Lady wielding power 'through her husband' is just a First Lady wielding power as First Lady, since that is a position defined by who she is married to. Which, y'know, sure sounds like saying that the First Lady should hold no power at all and be a purely decorative position.  Insert the standard discourse about the Patriarchy.

Then again I'm sure there's plenty of Hillary-specific reasons (and Clinton-specific reasons) conservatives dislike her.
Σא

Offline rookie

• Miscreant, petty criminal, and all around nice guy
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 11:43:40 am »
I don't remember anyone having a problem with Nancy's Just Say No campaign.
The difference between 0 and 1 is infinite. The difference between 1 and a million is a matter of degree. - Zack Johnson

Quote from: davedan board=pg thread=6573 post=218058 time=1286247542
I'll stop eating beef lamb and pork the same day they start letting me eat vegetarians.

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2016, 11:51:22 am »

Like. A First Lady wielding power 'through her husband' is just a First Lady wielding power as First Lady, since that is a position defined by who she is married to. Which, y'know, sure sounds like saying that the First Lady should hold no power at all and be a purely decorative position.  Insert the standard discourse about the Patriarchy.

Then again I'm sure there's plenty of Hillary-specific reasons (and Clinton-specific reasons) conservatives dislike her.

Good point.  On the other hand, people also tend to dislike VPs and cabinet members who are perceived has having too much influence.  Advisors too.

Well, a lot of people hated Nancy.  Still do.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 11:54:41 am by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2016, 11:55:31 am »
People claim that Obama is a dictator overstepping his boundaries when he makes laws they do not approve of. More often than not the problem isn't an abuse of power, it's the fact that power is being used to do something the complainer does not approve of.
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2016, 11:57:31 am »
People claim that Obama is a dictator overstepping his boundaries when he makes laws they do not approve of. More often than not the problem isn't an abuse of power, it's the fact that power is being used to do something the complainer does not approve of.

Exactly.  It's partisanship, plain and simple.  Lots of people insult Obama for (rightly) calling Islam a "religion of peace," but conveniently ignore the fact that Dubya wasn't exactly "tough" on the faith himself.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2016, 12:01:00 pm by Ultimate Paragon »

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2016, 12:07:09 pm »

Good point.  On the other hand, people also tend to dislike VPs and cabinet members who are perceived has having too much influence.  Advisors too.

Yeah, fair point.
Σא

Offline Askold

• Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2016, 12:24:00 pm »
Although in my opinion misogyny and racism do show up strongly in the hatred against certain people. Everyone is aware of how much racist speech and themes are used against Barack and if you look at the criticism of Michelle, what she has done is not so much the target as her appearance (or at least someone's opinion of her appearance.)

Look at all the pictures in the bad political cartoon thread that are about her fat ass (I have no idea who could consider her fat) or claims of her looking like a man (or a gorilla.)

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2016, 02:43:46 pm »
Racism definitely shows up against Obama. And it probably contributes. But I would guess that some people who would hate Obama even if he was white (because he is a Democrat president) are expressing that in ways that are racially coded because they are culturally available. Any weapon against the Hated Enemy, and so on.

Which is not to say they aren't racist. They are. But they also hate Obama for non-racist reasons.
Σא

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2016, 11:08:27 pm »

I certainly do. For a drug dealer* to use his sale of drugs to demonise his victims and thereby win public support is pretty scummy.

* Note: Ronald Reagan permitted and assisted in the importation of crack cocaine.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2016, 11:15:25 pm »

I certainly do. For a drug dealer* to use his sale of drugs to demonise his victims and thereby win public support is pretty scummy.

* Note: Ronald Reagan permitted and assisted in the importation of crack cocaine.

Source?

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2016, 11:38:24 pm »

It goes back farther. The entire War on Drugs, as admitted by a Nixon aide in 1994, was started by the Nixon administration to a) lock up blacks, who voted Democratic, b) lock up hippies (ie liberals), who voted Democratic, and c) get Republican propaganda on TV news every night.

You want to know what this was really all about? The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.