Author Topic: Church of the sword  (Read 1956 times)

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
Church of the sword
« on: October 16, 2015, 03:53:49 pm »
If these people weren't Libertarians I might consider converting.

http://www.concordmonitor.com/readerservices/politicsnewsletterxml/19034542-95/sword-fighting-libertarian-church-appears-before-supreme-court-for-tax-exemption-case

...The way I see it either they are exploiting the loophole that is tax exemption to churches to make their Anarchist club cheaper to run OR this is an attempt to highlight how stupid that tax exemption is.

Currently the argument against them seems to boil down to two things: a) They do not worship any god (The church pointed out that neither do the Buddhists.) b) ...Here I shall quote the article:

He pointed to the texts the church identified as guiding documents, including ones he said were about martial arts, war strategy and Confucianism. A fourth, he said, was written by a German philosopher, “who basically, as I understand, is the foundation of individual anarchism. That is a direct refutation of the concept that you have any organized religion.”

Justice Robert Lynn asked Little to expand on that idea. Little said, “If an individual espouses individual anarchism, then one is not part of any group or body. One is refuting the idea that there is a community. And the idea of religion – whether it’s monotheistic or polytheistic – is that you have an organized community that has a sense of common purpose with those standards and values.”

Lynn prodded further: “Someone couldn’t say, ‘I’m a Catholic, for example, and I’m an anarchist?’ You can’t be both?”

...Apparently there is some confusion between Anarchists and Atheists...
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
Re: Church of the sword
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2015, 05:12:46 pm »
not sure i'm a good example, but i'm both. to wit, i don't believe in god, and i don't follow conventional laws. however, when my life puts me in interaction with someone else, i put their wellbeing before mine. if they are x and i'm y, then so be it. it's their life.

i think that a lot of people have got a beef with me because they don't understand my position. but that's the point of anarchism. it's personnal. you can't impose anarchism on someone else. it has to be of their own will.
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯

Offline Ultimate Paragon

• The Beast
  • Tougher than diamonds, stronger than steel
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2015, 05:20:36 pm »
not sure i'm a good example, but i'm both. to wit, i don't believe in god, and i don't follow conventional laws. however, when my life puts me in interaction with someone else, i put their wellbeing before mine. if they are x and i'm y, then so be it. it's their life.

i think that a lot of people have got a beef with me because they don't understand my position. but that's the point of anarchism. it's personnal. you can't impose anarchism on someone else. it has to be of their own will.

"Anarchy is non-negotiable!"

Offline guizonde

• anglican occitan
  • The Beast
  • capslock is the devil
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2015, 05:23:14 pm »
yeah, it is. anarchism is personnal. what kind of hypocrite would i be if i imposed my worldview on everyone else? that would mean i'm better than you. ergo, my whole being would be put in contradiction with my actions. anarchism is always negotiable, as it is between you and yourself.

(don't worry, i got you meant it as a joke)
@ guizonde: I think I like the way you think.
Warning: Biohazardously Awesome

0_o 0_0 ¯\(º_o)/¯