Author Topic: Aborted Franchises  (Read 12950 times)

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
Re: Aborted Franchises
« Reply #30 on: April 10, 2013, 12:26:12 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog.

The SatAM series?  FUCK YES.  I've heard that the scripts for a good chunk of Season 3 were written before it was canceled.  That show was my absolute favorite as a child, and once I'd moved out and didn't have my parents kvetching about my purchasing decisions anymore, I bought the complete series on DVD.

Also, ZERO WARNING that it wasn't coming on anymore from ABC, which royally pissed me off at the time.  I go to watch Sonic, because even the TV Guide channel said it would still be on...and got some stupid Free Willy cartoon.  WTF, ABC?

Fuck yeah, loved that show. Bunnie is mai waifu. The comic is alright, but it just isn't the same, Also, that fucking cliffhanger.  I know the writers elaborated on it a while later, but it's still going to annoy me.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #31 on: April 10, 2013, 01:13:42 pm »
Surface.  It was a Sci-Fi series that came from NBC and got cancelled right when they were going to explain EVERYTHING!

Ironbite-still pisses me off.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2013, 04:37:10 pm »
Mina and the Count. It was a short lived Cartoon on Cartoon Networks "What a Cartoon" (and later Nick's "Oh Yeah Cartoons") program back in 1995. It was about a little girl who befriends count Dracula. There were only six episodes, so I had completly forgotten the cartoon existed until I found it on Youtube a couple of months ago.

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2013, 05:10:42 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog.

The SatAM series?  FUCK YES.  I've heard that the scripts for a good chunk of Season 3 were written before it was canceled.  That show was my absolute favorite as a child, and once I'd moved out and didn't have my parents kvetching about my purchasing decisions anymore, I bought the complete series on DVD.
Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. The other show was actually called The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and it sucked ass.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2013, 05:22:03 pm »
I can't remember the name of this cartoon, but it was about a girl who fought monsters. It was like she was the only one who could see them or enter their world or something. I remember she had dark hair.

I think that's the Life and Times of Juniper Lee, not sure, though.

Offline Sour Grapes

• Bishop
  • Brutally honest.
    • Ask Sour Grapes
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2013, 05:24:09 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog.
Lol, good joke.
Sonic kicked ass though ;D

You're talking about the SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog, right?  The one where the second season had this awesome overarching plot?

Got that on DVD.  Still awesome.  The second season is what happens when you get good writers that aren't dicking about trying to insert comedy where they shouldn't.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #36 on: April 10, 2013, 09:56:36 pm »
Anyone remember how the comic actually had a character heavily implied to be gay and in a relationship -- and actually was, but they were unable to state it outright because of executive meddling?

Makes me wish I had actually read it now...
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #37 on: April 10, 2013, 10:03:44 pm »
Sonic the Hedgehog.
Lol, good joke.
Sonic kicked ass though ;D

You're talking about the SatAM Sonic the Hedgehog, right?  The one where the second season had this awesome overarching plot?
I refer you to my last post :D

Sonic the Hedgehog.

Yes, that's the one I was thinking of. The other show was actually called The Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog and it sucked ass.

Got that on DVD.  Still awesome.  The second season is what happens when you get good writers that aren't dicking about trying to insert comedy where they shouldn't.
For anyone who's interested, a group of very dedicated and talented fans have created a full color comic for Season 3 that is still going:
http://sonicsatam.com/sea3on/?p=20

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2013, 12:32:21 am »
Dead Like me, about a girl who dies in a freak accident and becomes a grim reaper (there is more than one in the series).  It lasted 2 seasons and was followed by a crappy movie, but the series itself was funny.
This. Also Pushing Daisies, which was a little more lighthearted in spite of the premise. BRILLIANT show with wonderful characters that only went for two shortened seasons before getting canned. There were plans to do a continuation in comic book form but I think it was scrapped. Also, it would have involved zombies. Like, traditional zombies. What.

Then there was Carnivàle, which was incredible, but kinda complicated. Cancelled because I think it was getting too expensive to film (I'll have to look that up) but I've heard rumours that there are scripts floating around somewhere in ScriptLand or wherever unproduced scripts exist for another two or three seasons. If these exist, they need to be released because I need closure on that series, dammit!

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Dakota Bob

• The Beast
  • UGLY BAG OF MOSTLY WATER
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2013, 02:42:17 am »
Anyone remember how the comic actually had a character heavily implied to be gay and in a relationship -- and actually was, but they were unable to state it outright because of executive meddling?

Yeah, it was an alternate future timeline thing and that character was Rotor (one of the main characters in the comic and the old show)

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2013, 11:26:45 am »
Then there was Carnivàle, which was incredible, but kinda complicated. Cancelled because I think it was getting too expensive to film (I'll have to look that up) but I've heard rumours that there are scripts floating around somewhere in ScriptLand or wherever unproduced scripts exist for another two or three seasons. If these exist, they need to be released because I need closure on that series, dammit!

If that's the reason, it sounds odd given that I'm sure Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire both cost a pretty penny to film and produce.

Offline SpaceProg

• What you read is what you get.
  • The Beast
  • Nocturnal
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2013, 12:25:53 pm »

Yeah, it was an alternate future timeline thing and that character was Rotor (one of the main characters in the comic and the old show)

Really?  Well... I guess I shouldn't have fell into assuming the stereotype and automatically thinking of Antoine.

Offline Igor

• The Beast
  • Welcome to the velvet room...
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2013, 08:00:18 pm »

If that's the reason, it sounds odd given that I'm sure Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire both cost a pretty penny to film and produce.
Just looked it up, it wasn't so much the cost of production as it was ratings. Personally, I think the rating system's really, really broken.

Quote from: Quasirodent
The logical response to getting that tingle in his dingle is turning into an asshat, of course.

Les ananas ne parlent pas!

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2013, 08:43:28 pm »
Young Justice.

Cancelled right when villainous plots were beginning to unravel/be revealed...
I am so pissed about that. It's the first show in years that I've actually wanted to watch. I don't suppose you know why the show kept having its time slots moved around so much? First it was Friday primetime, then Saturday mornings, couple of hiatuses (including that really awkward one in the middle of S2), then boom, done. Not enough viewers. Yeah, mystery how that happened.
Gods, I hate how a show with actual plot and depth got screwed over so badly. Oh well, looks like I'll be picking up the series on DVD when I find it (same with the comics).
Also not happy about Tron: Legacy and Green Lantern TAS getting the axe. Not a fan of GL's animation, but they both had some good story arcs.

Also, I don't know if this counts as spam or what have you, but I've come across a site recently that's trying to revive lost TV series. The idea is to have users submit shows they want to see revived. Once the show has been given enough support, SMGO's creators will approach the necessary studios to discuss bringing the shows back to life. Funding for bringing a show back will be generated through crowd funding; if enough revenue is generated by a certain deadline, production will begin and the revived series will be streamed through SMGO's website. Profits will be generated by subscriber fees, as well as ads played for those who prefer to watch for free. And yes, I realize the web site is somewhat sparse right now. According to the FAQ section of the site, it was prematurely discovered about a month ago, and the support is has received has caused SMGO's creators to push forward their deadlines, and try to get their project up and running ASAP (they've already begun discussions with various studios about the viability of this project, and seem to be getting positive feedback).
So, if anyone wants to try something new, and attempt to bring some of these beloved series back to life, feel free to give it a go.

http://www.smgo.tv/
https://www.facebook.com/smgotv?fref=ts
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Auggziliary

• The Beast
  • Queen of the birdies
« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2013, 08:48:12 pm »
I keep reading the title as "Abortion franchises", like how pro-lifers always talk about the "abortion industry".
BITCHES! YOU BITCHES! Killing me won't bring back your God damn honey!