Author Topic: US ISPs just signed their deathwishes  (Read 4255 times)

Offline CaseAgainstFaith

• Pope
  • Smartass with a Dunce Hat
US ISPs just signed their deathwishes
« on: March 15, 2012, 09:36:15 am »
After years of painful negotiations, last June it was revealed that the RIAA, MPAA and some of the United States’ largest Internet service providers had finally come to an agreement on action against unauthorized online sharing of copyright works.

The first so-called ‘Initial Educational Steps’ will advise customers that copyright infringement is illegal and a breach of the ISP’s terms of service, that legal alternatives are available, and that continuing to infringe may have consequences including account suspension or termination.

The Acknowledgment Step, reached when an Internet subscriber is accused of additional infringements by rights holders, will see ISPs send Copyright Alerts requiring acknowledgment of receipt from account holders along with a pledge to end infringing activity from the account.

Should several attempts at ‘educating’ a subscriber fail, ISPs will be able to send a Mitigation Measure Copyright Alert which again requires customer acknowledgment. It will advise that a customer has received prior warnings and as per the ISPs terms of service, a ‘Mitigation Measure’ will now be applied to the account.

Mitigation measures can include throttling of upload or download speeds, a temporary reduction in service quality to one step above dial-up, redirection to a landing page so that the customer can be further ‘educated’, or even account suspension. No ISP has yet agreed to the latter and no ISP is allowed to disable VOIP, email, security, or TV services.

http://torrentfreak.com/isps-to-begin-punishing-bittorrent-pirates-this-summer-120315/

Let's face it without copying IPs out of SEEDs from illegal torrents, you can't tell if someone that is P2Ping is using it legally or illegally.  And even then IPs =/= people.  I almost want to go on a string of legal  P2P downloading sprees (download linux distros etc) once this is in place and see if I can trip their flags and then get sue happy for them being wrong.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 09:40:44 am by CaseAgainstFaith »
Reasoning with a fundie is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it is victorious - Anonymous
Let us drink like dwarves; Smoke like wizards and party like hobbits!

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
Re: US ISPs just signed their deathwishes
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 11:23:03 am »
Damnit, I just put this up. *pulls pirate flag back out*

History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:21:21 pm »

*opens a drawer and pulls out an eyepatch, pondering it*

Tempted.  Sorely tempted.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Kain

• God
  • The Alkaline one
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 02:11:19 pm »
Are you fucking kidding me?!
In paranoia I find genius / But the ice-dreams have come
with spiritless consequence / A hatchet has been hidden
between my eyes / A hatchet gift-wrapped in paranoia / A
wooden heart never bleeds / A wooden heart never bleeds,
yet inextricable thoughts still weave / Introspection
fabricated for battle / No time has been wasted
/ Neuroleptic seconds marry electroconvulsive hours / In
the cranial freezer, paranoia is the bastard and I
find genius Petrify / Paralyze

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 02:15:52 pm »
Okie dokie, then.

*makes a note to get himself a laptop and wireless modem and to start pirating movies while eating at a place with free wifi*
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 03:46:54 pm »
the RIAA, MPAA and some of the United States’ largest Internet service providers had finally come to an agreement

Probably more like the MAFIAA browbeating them into submission. The ISPs don't get anything out of this "agreement", other than having to expend more time, money, and effort to track down users who don't directly harm them in any way.

The MAFIAA have gotten the ISPs to do their dirty work for them.

that legal alternatives are available

There are legal alternatives to getting copyrighted content for free? I'd fucking love to hear about them. If there were "legal alternatives" then there wouldn't be any piracy in the first place.

In the words of Gabe Newell: "Piracy is a service problem, and the way to defeat piracy is to provide a better sevice than the pirates."

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:20:32 pm »
Doesn't help that we can't really trust these pricks to not load their CD/DVDs to the gills with malware DRM software that would likely leave pretty much any computer with a gaping security fuckhole, attracting hackers and viruses like flies to shit.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline Bezron

• a mysterious riddled spicy burrito wrapped enigma...stuck in some hot chick's colon dreaming of fanginas
  • Pope
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
the RIAA, MPAA and some of the United States’ largest Internet service providers had finally come to an agreement

Probably more like the MAFIAA browbeating them into submission. The ISPs don't get anything out of this "agreement", other than having to expend more time, money, and effort to track down users who don't directly harm them in any way.

The MAFIAA have gotten the ISPs to do their dirty work for them.

that legal alternatives are available

There are legal alternatives to getting copyrighted content for free? I'd fucking love to hear about them. If there were "legal alternatives" then there wouldn't be any piracy in the first place.

In the words of Gabe Newell: "Piracy is a service problem, and the way to defeat piracy is to provide a better sevice than the pirates."

Not to mention losing customers.  At the step right before "mitigation" I would switch ISP.  I can likely ping pong between the 3 or 4 in this area for quite awhile, and switching internet is fairly painless.

Offline Her3tiK

• Suffers in Sanity
  • The Beast
  • Learn to Swim
    • HeretiK Productions
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 10:25:50 pm »
Hell, if you find some idiot who didn't put a password on his network, you're practically in the clear from that as well.

What do you suppose Anon will try to do in retaliation?
Her3tik, you have groupies.
Ego: +5

There are a number of ways, though my favourite is simply to take them by surprise. They're just walking down the street, minding their own business when suddenly, WHACK! Penis to the face.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2012, 11:36:52 pm »
Blagh.  I try to do things legally.  Having said that, I wonder how they're going to recognize this and enforce it.

One thing for sure, this is going to make policies strict as fuck at schools and such, assuming they aren't already.  After all, one bad apple could fuck over the entire institution.  I also hope it only applies to actually pirating movies, instead of relatively benign shit like parodies, homages, and/or avatars/sigs/profile pics.

*sigh*
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:42:26 am »
Blagh.  I try to do things legally.  Having said that, I wonder how they're going to recognize this and enforce it.

One thing for sure, this is going to make policies strict as fuck at schools and such, assuming they aren't already.  After all, one bad apple could fuck over the entire institution.  I also hope it only applies to actually pirating movies, instead of relatively benign shit like parodies, homages, and/or avatars/sigs/profile pics.

*sigh*

*looks over at Youtube*

Yeah, I doubt that they're going to stick to actual pirates.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline Stormwarden

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 02:23:34 am »
Good luck enforcing it. That's all I have to say on that.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

Offline Sylvana

• The Beast
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 03:56:37 am »
I watched an interesting vid on the escapist about the production houses and their whole rail against piracy. To be honest, it made actually look at pirates and borderline support them, whereas before I used to really be quite against it on a moral ground.

Seriously, the problem with piracy isn't that they are stealing from these companies. Pirates provide a better service for access to the content that the production companies fail at. Examples where piracy is starting to decline is things like Itunes and Steam which have great service and as a result actually generate a huge amount of legal support. These companies need to realize that people will pay for convenience. However, right now it is far more convenient to download pirated software, videos and music, than their legal options.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 05:20:37 am »
I suppose if there's one singular good thing that can be said about piracy...

It's that it can provide competition and force a monopoly to compete.

That's about it.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 07:25:44 am »
It's that it can provide competition and force a monopoly to compete.

I thought rather than compete, the monopolies in question were just throwing their legal weight around and suing the shit out of everybody.
-A Pen Name