Author Topic: Things That Annoy You  (Read 2026290 times)

Offline Katsuro

• The Beast
Re: Things That Annoy You
« Reply #10470 on: May 30, 2017, 02:17:33 am »
What fucked up corner of tumblr have you been hanging out in?

The one called "Twitter" and "io9.com".  Also, US colleges/universities.  Not that I attend one but every day it seems I read/hear about some fucked up shit going on there, and that shit is coming from the "liberals" (and some profs too), not those on the right.  Not to mention it seems like now you can't do anything without some fuckhead screaming "CULTURAL APPROPRIATION!" at you.  Apparently you're only allowed to experience or appreciate things from your own culture and no one else's and cultures aren't allowed to mix - everyone must keep to their own kind.  How did certain "liberals" become segregationists and not see how that's racist/sexist/sectarian?  But in a world were democratic countries elect self-confessed sex offenders and serial killers as their leaders I guess nothing should get to me anymore.

Offline The_Queen

• Royalty & Royalty-free
  • The Beast
  • And here we go...
« Reply #10471 on: May 30, 2017, 07:16:51 am »
* The_Queen grabs popcorn and watches in awe.
Does anyone take Donald Trump seriously, anymore?

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10472 on: May 30, 2017, 03:29:50 pm »
.....my head hurts so much.

Ironbite-*goes to find a nice soft bed to rest his weary head, drops dead, respawns, goes to another bed*

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10473 on: May 30, 2017, 10:41:12 pm »
I am beginning to think that my chemistry professor might be a prick.  He claimed that, in 33 years of teaching, not once has a class averaged at or above a 90% on any single exam.  I'm sorry, but you're not communicating that you want us to succeed, you're communicating that you're being a prick in making your exams too obtuse to actually do well on.  Of course, this might also be due to the fact that he focuses on inane bullshit, like significant figures (read: arbitrary, retarded bullshit that ignores how fucking floating-point arithmetic works), frequently gets lost with meandering, idiotic fucking metaphors for incredibly simple concepts.  He took over 90 minutes to explain the simple concept that, if you want to figure out how much of a part of a reaction you get for a certain amount of reagent, you need to convert to and from moles.  Took you, what, 20 seconds to read that, at most?  He made some idiot analogy to crossing a bridge over a river and some other shit that, honestly, just made things more stupid and confusing.  He does that for fucking everything.

Contrast that to both my chemistry professors at Germanna: they never got lost on stupid tangents, taught the fucking formulas we needed to figure shit out, didn't bog down critical instruction with vague, pointless metaphors, and the only reason I got a D in 111 the first time (hence, why I'm even bothering with this idiotic bullshit to begin with) was because I wasn't in any shape, mentally, to do the work.  I understood the concepts just fine; hell, I got a B in 112 to prove it.  They conveyed in half an hour what it takes this motherfucker upwards of 90 minutes to two hours to fully explain.

Not only that, but he expects his students, many of whom are practically fresh outta high school, to know how to write a lab report to any skill level.  I'm not sure if this old fart has even been in a high school chemistry class in the past 15 years, but I can guaran-damn-tee you that almost fucking none of them even bother teaching lab reports.  Fuck, my high school chemistry class?  Never touched a single piece of glassware, it was just a glorified math class.

I am being taught by an incompetent and, honestly, I'm more pissed off for the actual chem majors in my class than I am for myself.  This fucker is wasting their time, filling their heads with nonsensical fluff, fucking flavour text, instead of conveying the information they need in an efficient, effective manor.  I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled by being in computer science, but if a fucking CS professor pulled this meandering idiocy on their students, you'd better bet that they would be out of a job, pronto.

Funny thing is, I was led to believe that this class would be covering waaaaaaay more stuff than I did in Germanna.  Guess what?  The coursework is almost fucking identical.  No acid-base chemistry, barely any coverage of intermolecular forces, nothing about atomic decay...it literally stops just before where I remember my 111 course at Germanna stopping.  That's right, I covered more in a community college course than I am in a university-level course.  And, yet, they have the unbelievable balls to not only convert Germanna's superior course to a 3-credit course during transfer, but charge twice as much for the privilege of learning less.

You wanna know what kills so many kids' enthusiasm for university?  This bullshit, right here.  Pointless gen-ed courses that have absolutely nothing to do with their major being forced upon them to waste their time, effort, and money, all for the sake of...what?  Fucking them over?  "Life experience?"  Making more money?  Creating more alcoholics and drug addicts?  I seriously wanna know, because if this is what all liberal arts universities pull...why haven't we torched the lot of them, yet?
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

pyro

« Reply #10474 on: May 31, 2017, 11:04:03 am »
Wanna hear about the Operating System's class I took that basically everybody failed?

The goal of the class was to build a "synthetic operating system" in C; apparently, we couldn't be expected to do something like write bare metal on a Raspi or something. Worse, they're probably right, but only because they've decided to:

* Start the course out with Python in the first semester and Java in the second.
* Teach the OS class in C, with no "C class" as a prereq.
* Not make discrete math a prereq, so nobody knows binary math either.
* Use C and binary math heavily throughout the class.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 11:09:20 am by pyro »

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10475 on: May 31, 2017, 12:50:04 pm »
Dude, that's not even cool.  At least we got a C++ class and discrete math.  Honestly don't see the point of the class, but that's just adding insult to injury.

pyro

« Reply #10476 on: May 31, 2017, 08:52:58 pm »
Oh, we have C and discrete math. They're just not prereqs for operating systems.

Offline Askold

• Definitely not hiding a dark secret.
  • Global Moderator
  • The Beast
« Reply #10477 on: June 08, 2017, 08:08:43 am »
If I had a Tumblr I would have already retumblered (or whatever the term is) this https://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/161570241831/im-not-okay-with-the-hat-the-rest-is-great-but

With a link to this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4b04jq7NB1s
No matter what happens, no matter what my last words may end up being, I want everyone to claim that they were:
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine."
Aww, you guys rock. :)  I feel the love... and the pitchforks and torches.  Tingly!

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
    • My Twitter
« Reply #10478 on: June 11, 2017, 02:04:16 pm »
I no longer trust my chemistry professor.  I usee to think that he was just an asshole.  But, I now find that this piece of shit gave us factually wrong information, and I can fucking prove it.  In the early part of the class, he gave us a formula to determine the density of water based on temperature.  Simple shit, right?  Except, Professor Dipshit gave us an equation that, when fed 68.5°C, it spits out some 22g/mL, which is plain bullshit.  I found a different equation, which has a whole other term fucknugget missed, and IT outputs 0.99g/mL, which is perfectly reasonable.  Wanna know where I found it?  A government website, via Google.  Wanna know how long it took me to find said information?  Under 10 seconds.  The information is about a decade old.  THERE IS NO.  FUCKING.  EXCUSE.  He either unintentionally or deliberately fed the whole class, many of whom are chemistry majors, factually wrong information.

TL;DR: My chemistry professor is either an idiot or a deceitful, lying scumbag.

Offline ironbite

• Overlord of all that is good in Iacon City
  • Kakarot
  • Stuck in the middle with you.
« Reply #10479 on: June 11, 2017, 04:06:25 pm »
Always go with the former.

Ironbite-EH PAGE 700!

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10480 on: June 11, 2017, 05:05:15 pm »
'Course, stupid is scarier, every time. "Only so many blackhearted villains in the world, and they only get uppity on occasion. Stupid’s everywhere, every day."
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Svata

• Doesn't even fucking know anymore
  • The Beast
  • No, seriously, fuck astrology.
« Reply #10481 on: June 17, 2017, 09:16:39 am »
So, I may have caused a bot in discord to queue an entire album instead of a song that shares the album's name. I just made people listen to the whole Ride the Lightning album. I am a bad person.
"Politician" is the occupational equivalent of "Florida".

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #10482 on: June 17, 2017, 11:45:23 am »
I no longer trust my chemistry professor.  I usee to think that he was just an asshole.  But, I now find that this piece of shit gave us factually wrong information, and I can fucking prove it.  In the early part of the class, he gave us a formula to determine the density of water based on temperature.  Simple shit, right?  Except, Professor Dipshit gave us an equation that, when fed 68.5°C, it spits out some 22g/mL, which is plain bullshit.  I found a different equation, which has a whole other term fucknugget missed, and IT outputs 0.99g/mL, which is perfectly reasonable.  Wanna know where I found it?  A government website, via Google.  Wanna know how long it took me to find said information?  Under 10 seconds.  The information is about a decade old.  THERE IS NO.  FUCKING.  EXCUSE.  He either unintentionally or deliberately fed the whole class, many of whom are chemistry majors, factually wrong information.

TL;DR: My chemistry professor is either an idiot or a deceitful, lying scumbag.

Most likely he just made a mistake. I strongly recommend going to him and showing him what you've found; if he's a reasonable human being he'll say oops and correct himself publicly, and if he's not you get to enjoy rubbing his incompetence in his face.

(general note that literally everyone gets a formula wrong every once in a while, the really informative part is how they react to correction)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 11:47:25 am by Sigmaleph »
Σא

Offline niam2023

• The Beast
  • The Forum Chad
« Reply #10483 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:01 pm »
So that bitch Handel won - repulsive Republican idiot running a little haven for inbreds and morons.
Living Life, Lifting, Waiting for Summer

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #10484 on: June 20, 2017, 11:00:13 pm »
So that bitch Handel won - repulsive Republican idiot running a little haven for inbreds and morons.

I'd rant about this, but it would just lead to another flaming contest between Queen and myself.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.