Author Topic: The Let's Plays Thread.  (Read 16224 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Re: The Let's Plays Thread.
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2012, 03:17:45 am »
My alltime favorite, actually, is Naka Teleeli

A guy who is working at indie game designing himself, there's several reasons I like his LPing.

1. Laid back.  He says everything so deliberately and smoothly and with such emotion that it's so interesting.

2. Informative.  He does his research, as is shown with his Okami let's play.  It's not just an entertaining watch, it's also educational!

3. ElementalOgre.  A real life friend of his that, when he's around, brings out Naka's more humorous side, as they make several riffs at each other.

4. He is a fan of excellent anime, such as Fist of the North Star, is a bit of a Japanophile (self-admitted, I do believe) and yet doesn't shove it down your throat except with a few of the references he makes.  (WA-TAAAAAAAH!).  He is also a lover of everything MANLY.   In a totally non-gay way.

5. His main character for his video game that he's developing is female, and when given the opportunity to, he will play as a female.  Many of his favorite video game characters are female.  Have I mentioned his definition of MANLY is actually gender-neutral?

6. He's not arrogant.  He's, in fact, very supportive of upcoming LPers.  And he's willing to admit when he's wrong about a game.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Art Vandelay

« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2012, 03:40:38 am »
6. He's not arrogant.  He's, in fact, very supportive of upcoming LPers.  And he's willing to admit when he's wrong about a game.
I always find this quality is pretty much a given in any good Let's Player. The ones who are arrogant assholes rarely get a subscriber count outside of the single digits.

Of course, there is Retsupurae, but that's kind of their thing.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2012, 02:28:08 pm »
I don't like Retsupurae, actually, and so I'm not inclined to watch them, but I'm not going to bash them.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 04:11:26 pm »
Would Armake21 (now TheWaste0Time) count?  They're not LPs in name, but many of his videos are LPs in style and delivery.  If so, then fuck yes, because he is awesome.  Also, angry.
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2012, 08:30:01 pm »
I don't like Retsupurae, actually, and so I'm not inclined to watch them, but I'm not going to bash them.
I don't care for them either, just saying they have a decent number of subscribers while still acting like bellends.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #20 on: April 04, 2012, 08:48:03 pm »
I don't care for them either, just saying they have a decent number of subscribers while still acting like bellends.

People are drawn to popular assholes because it makes them feel superior to somebody - the people the assholes are being assholes to.

Like a good deal of Spoony's vocal fanbase.  "Oh, we love him, that makes us better than the FF8 fans, because they're all fanboys for even enjoying the game!"

...And the egg ends up on their face because Spoony was joking, and his ire was directed at the haters that didn't like him riffing their game.  Not the entire FF8 fanbase.

Offline RavynousHunter

• Master Thief
  • The Beast
  • A man of no consequence.
    • My Twitter
« Reply #21 on: April 04, 2012, 09:39:53 pm »
I get the feeling that Spoony's just awesome in general.  Then again, I've had that feeling since his vlog about Breaking Dawn, where he said (referring to the then-unborn Reneseme): "If its, like, 99% chance of killing you...let's just have an abortion, okay?"
Quote from: Bra'tac
Life for the sake of life means nothing.

Offline gomer21xx

• Pope
  • Squick responsibly!
    • RT Gomer Productions
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2012, 08:46:23 am »
I have my own series of Let's Plays over here: http://rtgomer.wordpress.com/category/gomer-the-ranting-thespian/gomer-plays-gomer-the-ranting-thespian/

Incidentally, my site also hosts a LP series by Spazfox: http://rtgomer.wordpress.com/category/spazfox/lets-get-pissed-and-play/

Besides pimping my site, I'm also a fan of a guy named Roahm Mythril, who's done Perfect Runs of most of the Original Series Mega Man games.  He's quite entertaining. =3
I'm looking for patrons!  How can you help?  Check out my Patreon page! =)

As always, you can catch my podcasts and videos at RT Gomer Productions!

Quote from: TheL
I've seen so many tits, they've blended into one enormous mega boob!

Quote from: The Right Honourable Mlle Antéchrist
Dude, when Vox Day was born, he shot out the hospital window and over an entire tank of sharks.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2012, 08:23:33 pm »
The Something Awful forums are one of the best place to find Let's Plays. Which is probably due to the fact that if you make a bad Let's Play on SA, your thread will be deleted and you'll probably be banned.

LP subforum is here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=191

Old LPs from the subforum are archived here: http://lparchive.org/ (SA deletes old threads to save bandwidth)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 08:27:18 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »
I'll read the archived LPs, but I don't think I'll ever visit the forum itself >_>

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2012, 09:04:06 pm »
I'll read the archived LPs, but I don't think I'll ever visit the forum itself >_>

Why not?

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2012, 09:06:47 pm »

Why not?

Something Awful is something awful.

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:47 pm »
Why not?
Something Awful is something awful.
How? SA is one of the most civil, intelligent, and progressive large forums on the internet. They have less flame wars than we do.

Although their wordfilter for non-members is annoying.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:16:47 pm by VirtualStranger »

Offline Witchyjoshy

• Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2012, 09:27:55 pm »
Let's see, ridiculously high standards, a fee to join the community, absolute snobbishness towards Youtube LPs, and part of their history was rooted in making fun of other people for being different.

Shall I go on?

Offline VirtualStranger

• Blinded with Science
  • The Beast
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2012, 10:01:09 pm »
Let's see, ridiculously high standards,
Um, that's a good thing. High standards produce quality content and discussion.

a fee to join the community,
This is true. It's pretty much the only reason I haven't joined yet. The fee is supposed to keep the shitheads out. It ensures that people only join if they are interested in positively contributing to the community. When you have actually paid to be a member, being banned is a much more serious threat, and it tends to keep people on their best behavior.

absolute snobbishness towards Youtube LPs,
And rightly so. The vast majority of YouTube LPs are shit, precisely because there is no quality control.

SA are the ones who popularized LPs in the first place. If anyone knows how to make a good one, it's them.

and part of their history was rooted in making fun of other people for being different.
Huh?

But now I'm getting off-topic. This thread is supposed to be about Let's Plays.