Author Topic: Reactions to an anti-bullying facebook thingamajig  (Read 6765 times)

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
Reactions to an anti-bullying facebook thingamajig
« on: April 27, 2012, 05:19:40 pm »

It's another useless facebook thing, so no love lost about that.

The reactions to it, however...

Just teach your kid how to fight. Then let them take care of the bully. Bullies prefer targets that don’t defend themselves.

(When someone said "That doesn't work, it only made the situation worse", this following bit of whargarbl got posted.  It's in a spoiler tag for length)
(click to show/hide)

Why all these stupid fings about bullying these days ?
Its so that the Liberals can gain more votes by creating an entire generation that needs hand outs because they can’t do anything for themselves and start crying when they have to face any sort of adversity.
been done for the last 20 years the pussifing of the US…. everyone is a winner…….NO second place is the 1st loser tho…

Yeah, um...

What?

GIFT in full force, I assume.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Saturn500

Re: Reactions to an anti-bullying facebook thingamajig
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 05:35:40 pm »
GIFT in full force, I assume.

A little of collumn A, a little of collumn B

Distind

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 06:14:31 pm »
It's face book, it's all gonna be pretty stupid.

While the ad itself is emotionally manipulative and in my opinion(as someone who's bullying involved severe beatings) addresses the shallowest portion of the issue.

Seriously, when it comes to words value them no more than you value the source they came from. If you have more serious issues take your time, calm yourself down, and express them as best you can to whoever you believe can, and is willing, to help. Also, use as many commas as possible, as your speach will likely be fairly stilted when discussing such things if you're upset about it.

Clicking a button isn't going to solve it, posting an image of someone your typical bully would enjoy hitting already crying isn't, and it'll really just look retarded all around.

There isn't a simple solution to bullying, there are some people who's only real joy in life is making others miserable. Dealing with them on a case by case basis, or simply weathering them until they kill themselves in a fit of self destructive stupidity apon impact with the real world are about the only real options.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 06:32:51 pm »
It's face book, it's all gonna be pretty stupid.

Actually, the reactions weren't from facebook, though I imagine facebook's actual reactions might have been worse.

While the ad itself is emotionally manipulative and in my opinion(as someone who's bullying involved severe beatings) addresses the shallowest portion of the issue.

I agree about the ad.  That's why I dismissed it immediately :P

Seriously, when it comes to words value them no more than you value the source they came from. If you have more serious issues take your time, calm yourself down, and express them as best you can to whoever you believe can, and is willing, to help. Also, use as many commas as possible, as your speach will likely be fairly stilted when discussing such things if you're upset about it.

Discounting someone's words is a lot easier said than done.  If someone is suffering from depression, they go into a feedback loop where they think that the bully might actually be right about them.

Incidentally, being in an environment where one is quite frequently verbally abused tends to cause depression.  Go figure.

However, I agree that it's not the main issue.  I would also say that the physical beatings aren't the main issue either.  The main issue is that bullies are, in many schools (note that many != most), seemingly allowed free reign, and that for some reason, they seem to get some positive feedback out of being bullies.  And you're right, there is no easy solution, it's embedded too deeply.

There are some people who's only real joy in life is making others miserable. Dealing with them on a case by case basis, or simply weathering them until they kill themselves in a fit of self destructive stupidity apon impact with the real world are about the only real options.

They either fizzle in the real world, or they get into positions of power where they can keep on bullying people... and get paid to do it.

People suck.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 07:06:47 pm »
When I first saw the image, I thought it was about child abuse.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg

Offline Radiation

• ILLUMINATI...ASSEMBLE!
  • The Beast
  • Just Radiation, I am so uncreative
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »
When I first saw the image, I thought it was about child abuse.

Well bullying is abuse basically.
"Radiation, were beauty measured by the soul instead of the body, you would be legendary on the status of Helen of Troy. Be strong." -The Sandman

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 08:10:14 pm »
The fight-back solution can be hazardous in the extreme, but it can sometimes be successful.  From 6 to 13 I was the victim of a neighborhood bully.  It ended when I beat the snot out of him so badly that my father was accused of doing it ("No 13-year-old can inflict that kind of damage ...")  The bully was nice to me forever after.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Saturn500

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:41:52 pm »
The fight-back solution can be hazardous in the extreme, but it can sometimes be successful.  From 6 to 13 I was the victim of a neighborhood bully.  It ended when I beat the snot out of him so badly that my father was accused of doing it ("No 13-year-old can inflict that kind of damage ...")  The bully was nice to me forever after.

We need a clapping emoticon.

Offline Fpqxz

• The Beast
  • Generic forum poster #666
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2012, 07:40:28 pm »

I partially agree with you, as this method has been effective for both myself and my brother.   ;)

The problem with this approach is that it promotes vigilantism and potentially creates a cycle of retaliation.

The funny thing is that I graduated high school 15 years ago, and bullying wasn't that much of a problem in my school.  Theft/robbery, drug dealing, gambling, alcoholism...now those were problems.
Read some real news:  Allgov.com, JURIST

Step down Mr. and Mrs. Politically Correct.
It's so easy to be "punk" and "aware" living at home.
You can't change shit, you're too self-righteous;
you're the bigots you flaunt to loathe.
--Thought Industry, Boil

Offline rageaholic

• The Beast
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 08:32:25 pm »
Sounds like typical conservative machoism.  They don't realize that not everyone is a fighter, but since they have a "just world" philosophy, they think that victims of abuse and bullying deserve what they get.  It really shows what callous sociopaths they can be. 

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 09:12:55 pm »

The problem is that these days you'll get in more trouble for trying to defend yourself that the person who started it did. My school has a rule that you can't hit back until they've hit you three times. The other day a girl got ISS (in school suspension, I've suggested they change the first word to "at") because a girl attacked her and she(the girl that got suspended) ended up being knocked out or badly hurt after the other girl slammed her head against the cafeteria's tile floor. I don't know what happened to the other girl but a friend said they saw her walking around the school later that day like normal, so I guess nothing happened. I think the whole fight was because the girl that got knocked out tried to break up a fight the day before that involved the other girl's boyfriend.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:16:46 pm »
Just teach your kid how to fight. Then let them take care of the bully. Bullies prefer targets that don’t defend themselves.

What happens when the victim decides to fight back by bringing a gun to school.

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 05:11:00 am »

What happens when the victim decides to fight back by bringing a gun to school.

Nobody can fight back until they've shot three bullets.

Offline Smurfette Principle

• Will Blind You With Library Science!
  • The Beast
  • Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo.
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 11:10:21 am »
I was never physically beaten up, and while I often fantasized about punching my bullies in the face (and took it out on the helpless cinderblock wall), I never did, because I valued not getting in trouble for fighting over revenge. These people don't realize that you're not allowed to fight back, because of a "if you hit him you will be just like him" mentality.

I'd also like to point out that girls bullying girls is usually either ignored by these campaigns entirely or just considered less of a problem.

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 11:16:05 am »
It doesn't help when those who fight back usually end up in worse trouble than the bullies.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"