Author Topic: ND Christians are allowed to break all laws  (Read 3590 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Re: ND Christians are allowed to break all laws
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2012, 05:24:27 am »
Whether it passes or not (most likely not as others have mentioned) doesn't matter.  Once again, they're wasting taxpayer's $ on a stupid bill that does NOTHING to fix the economy.  That should've been the plan of every section of gov't this term, not banning abortion, banning ssm, or pushing a religious agenda.  The economy, remember that part, Republicans?  I wonder if there's info online as to which party pushed the most bills attempting to fix the economy.  That one gets my vote this year.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline erictheblue

• The Beast
Re: ND Christians are allowed to break all laws
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2012, 10:57:34 am »
What's ironic is that that amendment IS ALREADY THE LAW. It summarizes what the USSC has already said about laws infringing on religious beliefs. (It is a straight up, strict scrutiny analysis.)

This can easily be smashed down in the Supreme Court.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While the First Amendment guarantees freedom of religion, it is equally prohibited for religion to be given favorable status in the eyes of the law.

This isn't quite true. The Court has upheld some governmental recognition of religion, such as prayer before legislative sessions and allowing the Amish to pull their kids out of school before age 16.

It cannot be used as an excuse, therefore, for breaking laws.

It can, if the law in question is specifically targetted at a specific religion. There was a case where a city passed an ordanance banning ritual slaughter of animals. It was targetted at a voodoo temple that had been operating in the town, although it was written in such a way as to look like it affected everyone. (Anyone who ritually slaughtered animals was subject to punishment. Just the only people ritually slaughtering animals were members of that voodoo group.) The Court struck it down as overburdensome on religious practices.
[Anonymous is] like... an internet Cthulu... you don't want to rouse them, but at the same time... woah think of the beautiful chaos! - SpaceProg