Author Topic: Wisconsin Gov Walker thread  (Read 10840 times)

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
Re: Wisconsin Gov Walker thread
« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2012, 10:06:35 am »
We can actually blame the announcement for influencing votes, too...

Since there were people still in line to vote when that announcement came through.  not all the polls had closed yet.  And you can bet some people left because "Oh, well, they announced it, so there's no point in me voting"

MY EXACT THOUGHTS.

Also down another percent. I would hope this makes him more moderate. But it won't.
Fuck no! This would say to him "Hey, they like you as is!"
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline DasFuchs

• God
  • Ruler of his own little world since 1977
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2012, 10:18:28 am »
On a much clearer review, what kefk said I agree with, I mean if someone doesn't want to be part of a union they can always not take the job or find a nonunion job. The thing that bothers me the most is this whole Union members=lazy,and overpaid/unions lead to mediocrity meme. God forbid someone wants a decent pay. Sorry, if I came off as somewhat of a teabagger earlier.

Exactly. I admit there are people that are lazy and use the unions to to do so, but a far greater majority are hard working and just want decent pay and a safe job.
At my work starting out, as a seasonal, you make minimum wage, 7-8 bucks an hour. I lived like that before, if you can call living off a 200 a week paycheck living. As a union regular the lowest paying bid is around 13 an hour. Right now I make near the maximum as a loader operator at 16.25 or so. With the overtime I work I'm bringing home 600 a week and damned happy with it.
The company has already made clear to us during the last big shake up when they decided to close the Delaware plant that should the union be booted we all go back down to minimum.
To top that off incidents like I had last night where hitting a pothole shifted a load and cracked the loader window, the union makes the company investigate and control their response instead of "well, you cost us money, terminated" like they do in regular jobs.
"To a New Yorker like you, a hero is some type of weird sandwich. Not some nut that takes on two Tigers!" "You gotta hit'em point blank in the ass!" Oddball

Offline Meshakhad

• The Beast
  • The Night Is Dark And Full Of Terrors... Like Me
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2012, 11:30:33 am »
I'd like to offer at least a glimmer of hope:

http://www.csmonitor.com/Commentary/the-monitors-view/2012/0606/Wisconsin-recall-election-as-a-wake-up-call

The heated national politics over Governor Walker’s reforms turned out to be not so heated in the privacy of the polling booth. Nearly 40 percent of those who voted for him were from union households, according to the ABC News exit poll. And 6 out of 10 voters – more than who voted for Walker – said a recall election should be used only for official misconduct, not policy disputes. (Walker was the third governor in US history to face a recall vote – but the only one to survive.)

Walker did not win an easy victory. 54% is what I'd call a "comfortable margin". And with the highlighted factor in play, it's quite possible that plenty of people in Wisconsin disliked his stance on public sector unions, but didn't think that was enough to recall him. Those people might well vote him out in the next gubernatorial election.

And I'm going to disagree with the statement that "democracy died" that day. Yes, Walker outspent his opponent 7:1, but that wasn't the sole factor. There was plenty of support for his decision to start with, and Wisconsin's economy is improving under his watch. I'm not trying to dismiss the role campaign spending and ads play in elections, but ads can only influence people. It is not yet possible to truly BUY an election (legally at least).
G-d's Kingdom Is A Hate-Free Zone

Quote from: Reploid Productions
Pardon the interruption, good sir/lady; there are aspects of your behavior that I find quite unbecoming, and I must insist most strenuously that I be permitted to assist in resolving these behaviors through the repeated high-velocity cranial introduction of particularly firm building materials.

Quote from: Meshakhad
GIVE ME KNOWLEDGE OR I WILL PUT A CAP IN YO ASS!

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2012, 02:39:52 pm »
A lot of people voted against the recall simply because they believe that once you elect someone, you don't get a do over.

Also, for spending him 7:1, he only beat him by 8%.  If anything, that tells me democracy is working.  It just happens to be working in a way I don't like.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline e13

• The Beast
  • Fabulousity is at 100%!
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2012, 09:55:59 pm »
A lot of people voted against the recall simply because they believe that once you elect someone, you don't get a do over.

Also, for spending him 7:1, he only beat him by 8%.  If anything, that tells me democracy is working.  It just happens to be working in a way I don't like.
And I'm damn pissy about it. Oh well, I'll keep fighting for what I think is right.

Just Having Some Tea, Hanging With My Friends...

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2012, 12:10:17 am »

And I'm damn pissy about it. Oh well, I'll keep fighting for what I think is right.

And this is precisely the attitude we need.  Thank you.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline sandman

• The Eternal
  • The Beast
  • We Have Such Sights To Show You.
« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2012, 10:40:25 am »
I'm not surprised he won. With the amount of sheer cash the Koch brothers and other out of state conservative backers were dumping into the campaign, it's a wonder it was as close as it was. Ever since Citizens United (the most dishonestly named governmental fubar since the USA PATRIOT act) money = political influence. The Koch brothers tried to buy a presidential nominee with Herman Cain and came closer than that crazyass man had any right to. Now they've bought themselves a governor. And isn't it cute how Walker says that this is a "victory for the people?"
"In case you're interested, there's still some positions available for that bonus opportunity I mentioned earlier. Again: all you gotta do is let
us disassemble you. We're not banging rocks together here. We know how to put a man back together. So that's a complete reassembly. New vitals. Spit-shine on the old ones. Plus we're scooping out tumors. Frankly, you oughtta be paying us." -Cave Johnson