Author Topic: Spiders  (Read 10007 times)

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
Spiders
« on: January 09, 2012, 11:41:03 pm »
I dont know why but i find these blood suckers interesting they live above my room (Our attic is in my room) and so i see them very often and they just fascinate me anyone else like spiders as much as me?

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
Re: Spiders
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2012, 03:31:52 am »
I generally have a good relationship with spiders. Tiny money spiders are cute - I like to watch them negotiating the hairs on the back of my hand like some sort of arachnid assault course. I like to see an occasional larger one scurry across the living room floor - they do an excellent job of keeping the general bug population under control.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:02:49 am by Jack Bauer »
Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.

Offline DarkfireTaimatsu

• Pope
  • Here be impies.
    • Taiblog
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2012, 03:43:31 am »
Spiders are the most nightmarish beasts ever spawned from the depths of hell, and should be nuked off the face of the Earth. When I take over the world, they will be the first things to go. (Second will be gravity.)

Superheroes based on arachnids, though, tend to be pretty awesome for some reason.
A limerick:

There once was a unicorn who would shove
His rainbows around like a dove
"Always I'll be with you
And then make-believe with you
Harmony, Harmony, oh love"

Offline Søren

• Russian Lush
  • The Beast
  • Ни шагу назад
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 03:50:03 am »
I love spiders, in my area though you usually only see 4 types. Redbacks, whitetails, cellar spiders and huntsmans
Faisons lever l'étoile du mérite passé.  Le monde a besoin de lumière,  Le monde a besoin de la France,  La France a besoin de tous les Français.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 04:31:36 am »
I am both terrified of spiders and fascinated by spiders.  For awhile, I've had spiders hanging about the ceiling of my room, and occasionally behind it.  I decided to leave them alive.  Though I sucked a few in the vacuum when I was cleaning, and it made me sad :<

...However, I know that spiders generally mean me no harm.  They're terrifying in appearance and mannerisms, but really, they're no different than fishermen.  They aren't vicious.  They just... exist.  To eat, to reproduce, to live.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

QueenofHearts

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 04:41:58 am »
Spiders are the most nightmarish beasts ever spawned from the depths of hell, and should be nuked off the face of the Earth. When I take over the world, they will be the first things to go. (Second will be gravity.)

Superheroes based on arachnids, though, tend to be pretty awesome for some reason.

OMG, me too. I am terrified of the things. I can be close to them, I can look at them, but I can't let one crawl on me. The worst thing for me is just seeing one (like across the room for example) and looking in the same place a minute later and NOT seeing it. That scares the heck out of me knowing they're somewhere, but not knowing where.

I am so terrified of the things, I can't even look at some pictures posted in the fear game thread without getting a little scared.

But I'm glad you like them Captain, someone has to. I'm also glad you're comfortable with them living in your house (they do keep other bugs under control). The only thing I have in my ceiling is mice  :-\ :-\.

And to stay on topic, I do find spiders to be pretty cool if one examines them from an evolutionary perspective. Their webs are stronger than steel, they have great elasticity, and I read that they could be used as artificial tendons and ligaments.  :o :o

Offline Rime

• Pope
  • Born too slow
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 05:22:40 am »
I have no issue with spiders, although we don't have any aggressive breeds where I live.  Diadems, Wolf Spiders and Zebras are pretty much all we have in these parts.  The diadems can get to be quite large, but all they do is hang around in the soffits of the house.  I've only known a wolf spider to get aggressive when they lose their egg sac and zebras are twitchy and jump at their prey, but they're timid and never grow past 5mm.  I have no issue with them crawling on my arm, because they aren't dangerous enough to be poisonous.  They also eat flies like mosquitoes and deerflies.
And when we're done soul searching,
And we carry the weight and die for a cause.
Is misery made beautiful
Right before our eyes.

Mercy be revealed, or blind us where we stand?

Offline Sigmaleph

• Ungodlike
  • Administrator
  • The Beast
    • sigmaleph on tumblr
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:35:05 pm »
I've always been less averse to spiders than most other tiny crawling things, but I remember the exact moment I realised that spiders are amazing. The following story is probably not entirely true, I forget the details, but this is how it lives in my memory:

I was maybe twelve or so, hanging out at my cousin's house, when I saw a relatively big ant on the floor. Having nothing better to do, I started watching it, and noticed it was trying to eat a tiny spider. In terms of size, it was like a dwarf vs an elephant, but Tiny Spider wasn't scared. It started dodging the ant's strikes and going around it, crawling over it, tying it up with spider silk. After several minutes of epic arthropod duelling, Tiny Spider had completely tied up Huge Ant's legs and immobilized it, all while I watched. I don't know what happened next, but I assume the spider ate the ant and then left the silk-covered head at the entrance of the colony, as a warning to others.

Tiny Spider is my hero.
Σא

Offline Zygarde

• Black trans queen of FQA
  • The Beast
  • Fuck trees, I climb clouds, motherfucker!'
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 05:13:34 pm »
My first real experience with them is when i tried to capture a specimen for an experiment i was doing when i was younger maybie about 10 or 12 since they live in my attic i just stood in there for hours observing them killing  the few stray wasp that flew in and genuinely taking notes i think spiders are actually what caused me to become interested in Biology.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 08:13:14 pm »
Last year, during the fall, I actually was just watching a spider in its web (it was hiding in the leaves of a bush) when this big insect flew around my head and right into the web.

I watched the spider rush out, and watched with interest as it wrapped up the big insect.

Spiders are pretty good with their webcrafting.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Jack Mann

• Gold Bugger Jihad Pony
  • God
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 01:02:40 am »
Spiders are beautiful.
اللغة العربية صعبة ، ولكنها جميلة جدا

Offline Yla

• The Beast
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 05:04:52 am »
I would tolerate a spider on my skin, but I'd freak out if they get under the clothing, and I can't be sure they don't scurry faster than I can intercept them.
That said, I've stopped trying to anticipate what people around here want a while ago, I've found it makes things smoother.
For I was an hungred, and ye told me to pull myself up by my bootstraps: I was thirsty, and ye demanded payment for the privilege of thine urine: I was a stranger, and ye deported me: naked, and ye arrested me for indecency.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 09:47:44 am »
I like 'em. As long as you don't offend one of the poisonous varieties, they're not only benign, but good for keeping the fly and mozzie population in check. Anything that kills mozzies is alright in my books.

Offline Old Viking

• The Beast
  • Occasionally peevish
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 02:54:55 pm »
Spiders are artistic, indefatigable and endlessly patient.  I admire them.
I am an old man, and I've seen many problems, most of which never happened.

Offline Jack Bauer

• Poetic Badass
  • Pope
  • On Craggy Island, under deep cover.
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2012, 03:15:08 am »
Money spider on arachnid assault course!

Part wolf, part pirate.

“Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”   -  Albert Einstein.