Author Topic: Can a church do this?  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
Can a church do this?
« on: October 21, 2012, 03:52:56 pm »
We were touring St. Augustine for our Anniversary this past week when we stopped at a church.  Now this church has a huge area behind it with a large cross, cemetary, and giftshop (I don't remember the name of the church).

Outside the giftshop was a sign saying, "Vote Yes on Amendment 6 and Amendment 8."  Now I looked them up and 6 was a ban on using federal funds for abortions while 8would counter an existing law that denies federal funds to churches and religious groups (How ironic that 8 was followed by the words, "In the name of religious freedom.")

Now this wasn't in the church itself but a separate building.  However, since it's still church property, can they have a political sign there?  I would think that separation of church and state would not make it legal and even threaten their tax-exempt status, but I wasn't sure.  Like I said, it's outside another building but still on the church property, so I wasn't sure.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
Re: Can a church do this?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 04:13:50 pm »
Churches are allowed to support policy. But not candidates or specific parties.

I don't particularly agree with it. I think churches should have to be silent about any specific vote. But that's how things are.

Offline m52nickerson

• Polish Viking
  • The Beast
  • Winning by flying omoplata!
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 11:18:00 pm »
We were touring St. Augustine for our Anniversary this past week when we stopped at a church.  Now this church has a huge area behind it with a large cross, cemetary, and giftshop (I don't remember the name of the church).

Outside the giftshop was a sign saying, "Vote Yes on Amendment 6 and Amendment 8."  Now I looked them up and 6 was a ban on using federal funds for abortions while 8would counter an existing law that denies federal funds to churches and religious groups (How ironic that 8 was followed by the words, "In the name of religious freedom.")

Now this wasn't in the church itself but a separate building.  However, since it's still church property, can they have a political sign there?  I would think that separation of church and state would not make it legal and even threaten their tax-exempt status, but I wasn't sure.  Like I said, it's outside another building but still on the church property, so I wasn't sure.

St. Augustine is beautiful isn't it?

I don't think just having the signs there is really any type of violation.  At least not greater than there freedom of speech.  The signs are relatively minor.
It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. ~Macbeth

Offline Vypernight

• The Beast
  • Stubborn, pig-headed skeptic
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2012, 06:26:06 am »
Okay thanks.  Just checking on that.  I do find it funny how they see allowing the gov't to give them $ while they're already tax exempt as Religious Freedom.
Whenever I hear a politician speaking strongly for or against abortion, all I hear is, "I have no idea how to fix the economy!"