Author Topic: Pagan Mom Challenges School Bible Distribution  (Read 17050 times)

Offline StallChaser

• Pope
  • (Haseen on the old board)
Re: Pagan Mom Challenges School Bible Distribution
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2012, 04:55:03 am »
I have an old account on there from super-long ago, but I have no idea if it would still work.  Its been inactive for years, and I haven't cared about it since the lulzfest of November 2008.  I'd be kind of surprised if the login still did work, given their level of paranoia.  They've probably gone through and deleted inactive accounts for fear of the secular liberal internet spies around every corner.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 09:07:52 am »
*blinks a little bit*  It seems she just gave basic teen guides to Wicca. Which isn't exactly spellbooks but is instructional material in a different way but similar to the Bible. At least I hope so.

Technically, it's not even similar to the bible.  The bible is considered a sacred text and a religious guide.  Wiccans don't have any real equivalent to that.  Our "Wicca 101" books are generally: "This is what Wicca is.  Decide if it's right for you.  If it isn't, then at least don't be a dick to Wiccans."  In other words, it's the softest sell possible.
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Shane for Wax

• Official Mosin Nagant Fanboy, Crazy, and Lord of Androgynes
  • Kakarot
  • Twin to shy, lover of weapons, pagan, wolf-brother
    • Game Podunk
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 09:37:00 am »
You know what I mean. Whilst it isn't exact, it is a barebones idea of the two.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 09:38:31 am by Shane for Wax »

&
"The human race. Greatest monsters of them all."
"Ke barjurir gar'ade, jagyc'ade kot'la a dalyc'ade kotla'shya."
Fucking Dalek twats I’m going to twat you over the head with my fucking TARDIS you fucking fucks!

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 11:05:18 am »
Hockey is a Satanic plot to pervert Canadian youths.

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 11:46:32 pm »
I have an old account on there from super-long ago, but I have no idea if it would still work.  Its been inactive for years, and I haven't cared about it since the lulzfest of November 2008.  I'd be kind of surprised if the login still did work, given their level of paranoia.  They've probably gone through and deleted inactive accounts for fear of the secular liberal internet spies around every corner.

Oh. :( I've tried to get on with proxies but it doesn't seem to work.

What happened in November 2008? (You can PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.)
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Art Vandelay

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2012, 01:17:57 am »

Oh. :( I've tried to get on with proxies but it doesn't seem to work.

What happened in November 2008? (You can PM me if you don't want to derail the thread.)

2008 presidential election. Needless to say, they weren't particularly thrilled about Obama's victory.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2012, 05:36:54 pm »
Just to give you guys an update, due to the mom that wanted to distribute pagan material in response to Gideon bibles being handed out at her son's school, the Buncombe County BoE has ruled that religious material of any kind may not be distributed on school grounds.  Naturally, the Christians are all up in arms claiming this is violating their constitution rights.  However, the BoE said that is not so. as any teacher that wants to, say, wear a necklace with a cross pendant is free to do so.  They just can't preach about it.

This was just reported on the local news and I can't find a link to it yet.  There should be one later today or tomorrow.
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline TheL

• The Cock Teasing Teacher
  • The Beast
  • Fly like cheese sticks.
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2012, 05:46:32 pm »
Just to give you guys an update, due to the mom that wanted to distribute pagan material in response to Gideon bibles being handed out at her son's school, the Buncombe County BoE has ruled that religious material of any kind may not be distributed on school grounds.  Naturally, the Christians are all up in arms claiming this is violating their constitution rights.  However, the BoE said that is not so. as any teacher that wants to, say, wear a necklace with a cross pendant is free to do so.  They just can't preach about it.

This was just reported on the local news and I can't find a link to it yet.  There should be one later today or tomorrow.

Notice that the law was passed after Gideon Bibles had been handed out, but before those books on Paganism could get around to being distributed.  Sometimes fairness isn't exactly fair. :P
"Half the reason that I like foreign music is because I can kid myself that "Shake dat ass" is more poetic in Hindi."
--Sanda

Move every 'sig.'  For great justice!

Offline Lithp

• Official FSTDT Spokesman
  • The Beast
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2012, 07:01:02 pm »
Yes, it is a violation of freedom of religion. Persecuted by the Christian school board. What we have here is a textbook case of Christians persecuting other Christians, & both parties persecuting those nasty pagans.

Offline Star Cluster

• Pope
  • I need my space.
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2012, 09:39:01 am »

Notice that the law was passed after Gideon Bibles had been handed out, but before those books on Paganism could get around to being distributed.  Sometimes fairness isn't exactly fair. :P

True.  But it's rather obvious that was her intent to begin with.  It forced the BoE's hand to either ban all religious material or allow her to distribute hers.  The whole thing would have been avoided if they had simply followed the law in the first place and not allowed the Bibles to be distributed.

Incidentally, since this happened in Buncombe County, NC, it may interest some to know that the word bunkum, meaning nonsense, is derived from Buncombe County, NC.  Back around 1820, the congressman representing Buncombe arose to address a particular matter before the US House (whether Missouri should be admitted as a slave or free state) and spoke such nonsense that he was actually shouted down by his colleagues.  Thereafter, any such speech was said to be buncombe, the spelling of which later changed to bunkum and the meaning expanded to mean anything that was nonsensical.  Considering how fundies constantly stating that not being allowed to spread their religious material and message on public property, particularly in schools, is denying them their constitutional rights is pure bunkum, I thought it both ironic and appropriate that this took place in the word's namesake.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 12:04:32 pm by Star Cluster »
The heavens convince me there is no god.

Religion is an insult to human dignity. Without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.--Steven Weinberg

Religion can never reform mankind because religion is slavery--Robert G. Ingersoll

I don't know why people compare George Carlin to God. He's great and all, but he's no George Carlin.-Anon.

Offline Yaezakura

• The Pokemon Mistress
  • God
  • Little Lesbian Gaming Goddess
    • A Mayor's Tale - The daily trials of an Animal Crossing Mayor
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2012, 02:38:04 pm »
Technically, they were following the law up until the point where they refused to distribute her material. It's an "all or nothing" thing. The door is either open to every faith (including atheist material someone may want to distribute to the kids) or closed to every faith. They can't do much as restrict it even to only mainstream religions--it literally has to be open to everyone.

She did, however, prove the point that it was never their intent to follow the law, but only to distribute Christian material.

Offline Thejebusfire

• Holy Smoke! A Proper Southern Lady!
  • The Beast
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2012, 03:18:53 pm »
We had Gideons at the college last year. A few of my friends and I gathered as many of their Bibles as we could, then started having "Bible Fights" that involved hurling them at each other.

That sounds very painfull.

Offline Mechtaur

• The Beast
  • Ladies, contain your orgasms.
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 11:08:15 pm »
We had Gideons at the college last year. A few of my friends and I gathered as many of their Bibles as we could, then started having "Bible Fights" that involved hurling them at each other.

That sounds very painfull.

Not really. I suppose hurl was the wrong term, sounds a little rougher than it should. Gentle overarm throws would be the closest thing I can think of as a descriptor.

Offline N. De Plume

• Mysterious Writing Implement
  • The Beast
  • Nom, nom, nom…
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2012, 12:39:19 pm »
Usually the Gideon Bibles distributed on street corners are really small-lightweight things with soft covers and cheap, lightweight paper pages. Oftentimes, I have seen them containing only the New Testament. They wouldn’t hurt that much.
-A Pen Name

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2012, 02:52:49 pm »
Usually the Gideon Bibles distributed on street corners are really small-lightweight things with soft covers and cheap, lightweight paper pages. Oftentimes, I have seen them containing only the New Testament. They wouldn’t hurt that much.

Once there was this old guy in a trenchcoat who would walk around the school campus, handing out Gideon Bibles with fluorescent orange covers. The school told him to get off their property, so now he just distributes them to the kids walking home.

I don't see the point, most of the school population there was Christian anyway.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.