Author Topic: Don't do well at school? Starve.  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
Don't do well at school? Starve.
« on: April 01, 2013, 07:46:08 pm »
The latest offering from the Department of Stupid Ideas

Under the legislation brought by two Republicans, a student who doesn’t not make “satisfactory progress” in school would cost his or her family up to 30 percent of its welfare assistance, the Knoxville News and Sentinel reported...

When Campfield introduced the legislation in January, he said parents have “gotten away with doing absolutely nothing to help their children” in school. “That’s child abuse to me,” he added. Tennessee already ties welfare to education by mandating a 20 percent cut in benefits if students do not meet attendance standards, but this change would place the burden of maintaining benefits squarely on children, who would face costing their family much-needed assistance if they don’t keep up in school.

Unbelievable.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/04/01/1802811/tennessee-advances-legislation-that-would-tie-welfare-to-childrens-grades/
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline kefkaownsall

• The Beast
Re: Don't do well at school? Starve.
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2013, 07:50:06 pm »
Wait this pos actually went though.   :o
Jimmy you better get your grades up or no food.
Mom thats not fair if I am hungry how to I succeed
Jimmy you're smarter then the politicans so how come you fail algebra

Offline MadCatTLX

• The Beast
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2013, 08:13:09 pm »
Doesn't that excerpt right there say "attendance" not "grades"? That means the kid just has to be there, not skipping class all the time.

That said, this still seems like a ridiculous way to go about making kids come to class. Somehow I'm thinking this is just an excuse to deny people welfare.
History is full of maniacs, my friend, men and women of intelect, highly perceptive individuals, who's brilliant minds know neither restraint nor taboo. Such notions are the devils we must slay for the edification of pony-kind. Even if said edification means violating the rules of decency, society, and rightousness itself.
                                                                                                                                                             -Twilight Sparkle, MAGIC.mov

Offline Lt. Fred

• The Beast
  • I see what you were trying to do there
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2013, 08:17:58 pm »
The old system punished the families of students who don't attend school. This one punishes the families of students who get poor grades.
Ultimate Paragon admits to fabricating a hit piece on Politico.

http://fqa.digibase.ca/index.php?topic=6936.0

The party's name is the Democratic Party. It has been since 1830. Please spell correctly.

"The party must go wholly one way or wholly the other. It cannot face in both directions at the same time."
-FDR

Offline Osama bin Bambi

• The Black Witch
  • Kakarot
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2013, 09:23:15 pm »
I actually went to a junior high school where a sizable proportion of students were living in poverty. Some were even living out of their cars. Learning their algebra and finishing their book reports on To Kill A Mockingbird were the least of their concerns. So the school set up a meal program that basically gave them free breakfast and lunch.

Schools being run by classist douchetits really pisses me off. I knew there were a lot of kids who didn't do well in school not because they were unable to, but because they were hungry all the time or had to take care of their parents. I knew a girl whose mom was such a serious alcoholic that she often had to skip school to take care of her.
Formerly known as Eva-Beatrice and Wykked Wytch.

Quote from: sandman
There are very few problems that cannot be solved with a good taint punching.

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2013, 09:26:12 pm »
Great.  This isn't going to foster child abuse or put unnecessary pressure on children or anything! /sarcasm

Seriously, pressuring kids like this is just going to lead to a lot of nasty tension in families.  It's gonna be ugly.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline dpareja

• The Beast
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2013, 09:37:54 pm »
Great.  This isn't going to foster child abuse or put unnecessary pressure on children or anything! /sarcasm

Seriously, pressuring kids like this is just going to lead to a lot of nasty tension in families.  It's gonna be ugly.

They're poor. Who cares about them?

I hate myself for being able to say that with a straight face.
Quote from: Jordan Duram
It doesn't concern you, Sister, that kind of absolutist view of the universe? Right and wrong determined solely by a single all-knowing, all powerful being whose judgment cannot be questioned and in whose name the most horrendous acts can be sanctioned without appeal?

Quote from: Supreme Court of Canada
Being required by someone else’s religious beliefs to behave contrary to one’s sexual identity is degrading and disrespectful.

Offline nickiknack

• I Find Your Lack of Ponies... Disturbing
  • The Beast
  • HAS A KINK FOR SPACE NAZIS
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2013, 09:42:46 pm »
I actually went to a junior high school where a sizable proportion of students were living in poverty. Some were even living out of their cars. Learning their algebra and finishing their book reports on To Kill A Mockingbird were the least of their concerns. So the school set up a meal program that basically gave them free breakfast and lunch.

Schools being run by classist douchetits really pisses me off. I knew there were a lot of kids who didn't do well in school not because they were unable to, but because they were hungry all the time or had to take care of their parents. I knew a girl whose mom was such a serious alcoholic that she often had to skip school to take care of her.

Or they may have extremely shitty parents, my mom has told me over and over again how she basically had no childhood, and ended babysitting her sibling at the age of 5 years old, and how she was kept home from school many days, because there was no one around to babysit her siblings. Though to be fair, grandma was kinda known for being what one would call "The Town Whore" so...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 09:48:18 pm by Empress Nicki »

Offline Captain Jack Harkness

• Petter, Brony, and All-Around Cartoon Addict
  • The Beast
  • Or as a friend calls him, Captain Jack Hotness!
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 09:55:15 pm »

They're poor. Who cares about them?

I hate myself for being able to say that with a straight face.

I think this is appropriate:

First Collector: At this festive time of year, Mr. Scrooge, it is more than usually desirable that we should make some slight provision for the poor and destitute.
Ebenezer: Are there no prisons?
First Collector: Plenty of prisons.
Ebenezer: And the union workhouses - are they still in operation?
First Collector: They are. I wish I could say they were not.
Ebenezer: Oh, from what you said at first I was afraid that something had happened to stop them in their useful course. I'm very glad to hear it.
First Collector: I don't think you quite understand us, sir. A few of us are endeavoring to buy the poor some meat and drink, and means of warmth.
Ebenezer: Why?
First Collector: Because it is at Christmastime that want is most keenly felt, and abundance rejoices. Now what can I put you down for?
Ebenezer: Huh! Nothing!
Second Collector: You wish to be anonymous?
Ebenezer: [firmly, but calmly] I wish to be left alone. Since you ask me what I wish sir, that is my answer. I help to support the establishments I have named; those who are badly off must go there.
First Collector: Many can't go there.
Second Collector: And some would rather die.
My friend's blog.  Check it out!

I blame/credit The Doctor with inspiring my name change.

Offline Damen

• That's COMMODORE SPLATMASTER Damen, Briber of Mods
  • The Beast
  • The Dark Sex God
    • John Damen's Photography
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 10:20:44 pm »
"Fear my .45"

"If the liberties of the American people are ever destroyed, they will fall by the hands of the clergy" ~ Marquis De Lafayette

'Till Next Time,
~John Damen

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:39:31 pm »
Most people say children perform better in school when they've at least gotten their fill of a healthy breakfast in the morning. Tennessee Republicans apparently think these street urchins need to work for their meals.

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2013, 10:54:36 pm »
Now I kinda wish that schools would actually offer said healthy breakfasts to kids.  Especially warm breakfasts.

You know, you get it, you have about an hour to eat breakfast, then you go to class.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet

Offline Rabbit of Caerbannog

• He's Got Great Big Teeth and the Holy Hand Grenade!
  • The Beast
  • Hit me with your best shot! Fire awaaaay!
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2013, 11:06:32 pm »
Now I kinda wish that schools would actually offer said healthy breakfasts to kids.  Especially warm breakfasts.

You know, you get it, you have about an hour to eat breakfast, then you go to class.
I used to skip breakfast altogether because I didn't have a lot of time to get ready in the morning. School lunches were terrible so on the days I didn't bring my own lunch I skipped that too.

Offline DiscoBerry

• The Beast
    • Has the Hadron Collider Destroyed the Earth Yet?
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2013, 11:32:07 pm »
The latest offering from the Department of Stupid Ideas

Under the legislation brought by two Republicans, a student who doesn’t not make “satisfactory progress” in school would cost his or her family up to 30 percent of its welfare assistance, the Knoxville News and Sentinel reported...

When Campfield introduced the legislation in January, he said parents have “gotten away with doing absolutely nothing to help their children” in school. “That’s child abuse to me,” he added. Tennessee already ties welfare to education by mandating a 20 percent cut in benefits if students do not meet attendance standards, but this change would place the burden of maintaining benefits squarely on children, who would face costing their family much-needed assistance if they don’t keep up in school.

Unbelievable.

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2013/04/01/1802811/tennessee-advances-legislation-that-would-tie-welfare-to-childrens-grades/

Go for it.  When they see starving WHITE PEOPLE, they might realize that the illegals arent stealing all the welfare. 

Offline Witchyjoshy

• SHITLORD THUNDERBASTARD!!
  • Kakarot
  • Thinks he's a bard
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2013, 11:36:40 pm »

I used to skip breakfast altogether because I didn't have a lot of time to get ready in the morning. School lunches were terrible so on the days I didn't bring my own lunch I skipped that too.

That's precisely why I think schools should offer breakfasts and (decent) lunches.
Mockery of ideas you don't comprehend or understand is the surest mark of unintelligence.

Even the worst union is better than the best Walmart.

Caladur's Active Character Sheet